“Great Value with Mexican feel”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed with our two teen daughters and had a great time! Great price and felt like Mexico at this colorful resort rather than a just a hotel that could be anywhere. Short bus ride into Vallarta, lots of different pools, bars and activities. The vendors were good as they were designated to a certain area so didn't bother you and the night market was nice as well. Food was ok, got a bit sick of it by the end, but that has been the same for any all-inclusive for me. Will definitely go again.

Room Tip: Our room was by the night club which we found a little loud on a few nights when we were done early
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Alberni77

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Hi guys,I would like to start by putting a horrible myth to bed. Whilst talking hols back home with friends I am often confronted by the same question,"We wouldn't mind going but its not safe to go off the complex is it"Total and utter rubbish where this hotel is concerned.please feel free to walk as far as you like along the beach north or south there are many miles of beach here in Nayarit and all are perfectly safe for travellers to explore.take a walk up the back streets from the hotel to the town of bucerias into the market or go for a bite to eat and a few drinks if you feel that way out.the local folk here are very friendly.

Hotel rooms;-Very basic but kept nice and clean by the maids,1 wash basin and a shower that only has tepid water on a regular basis.A safety deposit box is available in every room be it only a small one and comes at a cost of approx. 48USD for a 2 week stay.Air con is good and can be dropped down to 16deg.No fridge or cooler here and only 1 bottle of water left daily so its a good idea to save your first bottle when empty and keep filling it up at one of the bars.They have dispensers with iced water.

Food;-Found the main buffet to be very ordinary,excellent fresh fruit and salad but as for a main meal you may struggle to find items to make up a meal of any sustinance.lots of slappy stodgy things and very little in the way of fish or meat.Thursday night is Mexican night and did offer some decent options with a bit of fun thrown in as well.
A-La-cartes;-we visited 3 of the 5 here,the roddizio steak house,just so so with the meat being over cooked and chared,the jap jap we found to be very good and the pick of the 3 piccolo Italian with air con and realy excellent food and service.

Pools;-All kept in good shape and very clean overall by alfredo,the one situated in block 5 is the adult pool a nice place to chill out quietly.No rush here for a lounger there are plenty for all.

The beach;-Light golden brown sand not powder white like the dom rep east coast but nice and clean,in fact it is a blue flag beach a very good standard.Once again plenty of loungers and palapas down there but also many vendors as this is a public beach.you will experience their relentless assault if you are down there.these local folk are only trying to make an honest living and deserve every peso they earn and more,i do not for one minute envy them carrying large amount of goods in the heat of the day all day long and often into the night.Light water sports are available as part of your package,kayak,boogie board,paddle board etc.jet skis and para-sailing also but at a cost.If you prefer a quieter spot and don't mind a short walk there is a 3 or 400 yard stretch of beach to the south away from it all,the wife and I just took our towels down there on a few occaisions and plonked down.Try an item of fruit from the little guy with the wheel barrow and the straw hat it is of outstanding quality and cheap.

The sea;-More often than not surf rolls in making it great fun but around lunch time most days a strong breeze picks up so just be a little cautious as the rollers can become quite large.This dies away at dusk to almost nothing.Water is very warm but not clear due to the breaking surf disturbing the sand.Lots of fish here but not often seen due to the clarity of the water also brown pelicans,frigate birds,blue footed boobies and other sea birds.Dolphins can often be seen only a few hundred yards from the shore.At certain times of the year there are sting rays and jelly fish in the water so please check out the flags in front of the hotel,there is a board on the beach explaining the significance of each coloured flag.

Gardens;-Although not extensive they are very well kept with a good variety of plants,shrubs and trees.Lots of iguanas,these can be observed being fed daily about 12.30pm in block 5 behind the restaurant.Well worth a look.Also humming birds usualy seen around the bushes with the red flowers but don't blink or you will miss them.Also a large crested type heron or ibis stalking land crabs is out and about at dusk and dawn.Plus other birds with a yellow breast similar to a goldcrest.Small ghekos,and leaf cutter ants etc,etc.

Just a couple of gripes now guys the first of which I think you ought to know about.we travelled with Thomson/first choice from the uk our rep was ricardo.At the welcome meeting whilst he was promoting the tours nothing was mentioned about the little hidden extra cost.We booked 3 trips and paid cash but until the money had changed hands he only then told us that we would not be picked up at the hotel on the day of departure but would have to make our own way to Vallarta adventures in a taxi at a cost of approx. 140 pesos each way.this added a further 840 pesos to our overall costs.Naughty !!!

To finish off 3 days before the end of our vacation a large amount of Mexican guests arrived,not sure how many but but at least 2/300.On their first nights stay the main buffet was stripped of table clothes etc and closed for the evening.Everything was decked out in white on the beach and a large stage was erected.A huge party with a band followed that evening to which we were not invited.?? The next night a similar occurance,this time in the main buffet area,all in white band, the works.No invite to any other guests.This to a certain degree made us feel very unwelcome.beach parties are often thrown in the Dominican republic and are for all guests.we were informed that this particular group came once a year and must be looked after.well I am sorry Decameron but Thomson uk have just returned to your establishment now they have the dream liner boeing 787 and are currently sending approx. 20 guests a week to your hotel and are obviously looking to build on this.I make this in excess of 1000 per annum,Do we not deserve to be looked after.!!! Very poor customer relations in my opinion by the management.

Overall had a good hol and met some realy nice folk from the uk and Canada but not sure if we would return.

Room Tip: Block 4 top floor from room 4333 down to 4442 have at decent sea view at no extra cost.
20  Thank ian a
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I've been to many beachy resorts before so in comparison, this resort was ok but not good enough for me to want to return to it. This hotel is actually not in the heart of Puerto Vallarta but just outside of it and is only 10-15 min drive away by taxi. The food was good and the entertainment was very good. I would recommend planning to see their nightly shows as they are pretty good compared to others. The buffets were good as well as the restaurants. You can book reservations for the individual restaurants for the day of and the follow day. However you have to be at the reservation at 8am to book it. If you go earlier like 7:45, you take a ticket number which will determine your place to book your reservations when it comes 8am. The rooms are a bit outdated but was very clean and comfortable. I was surprised of how many locals there were at this resort due to their low peak season. It made it not so much fun. The families didn't respect adult pools by having their children in them.

If you are looking to leave the resort and take taxis be sure to ask for the price before you get it and bargain for how much your going to pay. They will rip you off. As soon as you get off your plane when landing, there will be people pulling to the side before you leave the gates to try to sell you tours to lure you in a vacation presentation (kind of like a timeshare), if your looking to buy vacation packages then be sure to bargain for tours you want to go to, they'll give it to you half price or free... If you want to avoid wasting 4 hours of your vacation time and constant pressure to buy their vacation packages then do not go near them! They are beyond annoying to the point I wanted to commit assault (jus kidding).

Tours I recommend and don't recommend- I went on a few tours on this trip and here's how I feel. The city tour is great if you want to learn about the city, but when it's lunch time, they take you to this restaurant that gives you ok food and charges you a fortune. The tour where they take to you different locations on a boat to site see and snorkel was a waste of money. When I snorkeled, there was nothing to see, the tour guide had bad English so I couldn't understand him well and the food was terrible. The last tour I went on was Rhythms of the Night, worth every penny. Amazing entertainment and amazing food! Definitely worth the time.

Room Tip: The hotel is fairly large and has many buildings, therefore there are a couple of buildings that are...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Michelle6972
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We went for the 3rd time toward the end of May. We've been to PV several times and have learned to skip the bus transfer and grab a taxi, to beat the long check-in line up. We were in our swim gear and had drinks in hand by the time the slew of bus transport folks arrived. The resort was full and we were in Block 5 which is quiet with an adults only pool. There were lots of people checking out the next day so we moved to Block 3 which was closer to the action. The room was as expected. We brought our clock radio and toiletries, so had everything we needed. What we love about RDC is the staff, the pretty grounds, the beach and the proximity to PV, Bucerias, and Sayulita. We've gotten to know some of the staff members (Alexandra, Ricardo, Mr. Romantica (Saudit) and Leopoldo) and the glee at seeing each other goes both ways. The grounds are well manicured, nice plants, mini hedges, banyan trees and flowers. The beach is really good, the water has a strong pull at times so don't wear glasses or jewelry when swimming, especially don't wear your room key around your neck. The resort was full and we could still find 2 beach chairs under a palapa. We are not pool people and have no interest in getting up at dawn just to stake out a pool chair and hog it all day. The beach always has available chairs, and its nice and breezy and so nice to lay around watching the ocean sparkle and the kiters and parasailers, etc. The vendors are ok, don't feel you have to buy anything. We found that if we were honest and showed some respect, alot of them would sit down under the palapa for a bit to chit chat. We've gotten to know some of the vendor over time too, they are real people making an honest living.

The food was just fine, we eat simple (fruit, veg, fish) and could always find something yummy and authentic. Great guacamole !! For people complaining that the drinks are weak and they use cheap booze, yeah, Mexican liquor is different and lower percentage. Just ask for premium and / or doubles, and lay down a nice fat tip. 50 pesos goes along way. I found decent scotch, Canadian rye, pretty good gin, and if you ask nicely you can do your own tequila tasting at the lobby bar.

I had the misfortune to visit the resort's in house doctor. All went smoothly, although it would have been way cheaper to go up to the clinic in Bucerias. However, the doctor knows what the travel insurance people will need, so that part was super easy. The nurse is very sweet.

We love the disco and went almost every night after the evening show. The DJ is great, my husband got to know him and tipped him $ 20 bucks one night and we had all our requests played. We bumped till 3am, so fun !!

My husband did scuba training in the Block 5 pool, there's a little activity stand there, hang around and wait for the staff person to show up. Mexican time is Mexican time. He paid $ 40 for the lesson, and was scuba diving 2 days later out at the Marietta Islands, for only another $80 which included the bus to the PV marina and back, full breakfast and lunch, the boat ride, the scuba gear with a scuba master, and a party with open bar on the way back. Can't beat that !!! Ask Oscar at the resort's beach boat and belly board stand, he won't rip you off and he's a very nice amigo.

Oh, the Iguana just re-opened, its the bar above the tequila (timeshare trap) shop right across from the main lobby. Great place to watch the game, and the staff are really nice down to earth folks. For pedicures, which we always need after days walking barefoot, we have been to Elements just down the road, and this time we went to the place under the Iguana. They have the fish pedicure too, what a blast that was !! We both got really nice pedi's including 10 mins in the fish tank for $ 25 each. Can't beat that !!!

We will go back to RDC for sure next time we are in the PV area.

Room Tip: No clocks, or toiletries beside soap. Bring your own. Tip the maids, they deserve it. Block 1 is oc...
13  Thank crimsbabe
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This was my third trip to the Royal Decameron. Maybe it was the time of year, but it was not my best visit.

Pros: the food is good, the resort is clean, the grounds are well maintained, the entertainment staff keeps everyone busy, great service in all restaurants.
Cons: lack of respect for the adult pool - always children trying to come in with parents who don't seem to care, nowhere to grab a snack between 9-11pm. 11pm seemed a bit too late and if you had an early dinner at 6, you were SOL in the middle (not the end of the world, but a consideration), check in was terribly slow.

One thing to note is that at this time of year it is the off season. The resort was about 90% locals and 10% non-locals (e.g. Canadians). This is fine, however it made meeting people very challenging as the locals were not overly interested in chatting (possible language barrier?), and their manners were a bit less than what I would expect from other people. There was also some sort of Mexican world cup soccer event going on where about 500 locals were bused into the resort. On the back field there was a huge stage set up with music, fireworks etc. We were not told about this event and really had no idea what was going on. Not that it would have changed anything, but it would have been nice to know what was going on at the resort and what all the dancing, music, celebration was about. We actually walked up to the field and were invited in, but it was awkward.

We did not visit the disco, but from others we had met we heard that the disco was not a safe place to be late into the night. I am not going to say what was apparently seen because I was not there to verify, but just the rumor was enough to make me not want to go to the disco, period.

PS - If you are planning on going to that really great little bakery on the way to Bucerias (the cinnamon bun place infront of the art gallery), its closed until October 2014 :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are basic and there really is no difference. Some people like the beach view, but buil...
4  Thank shakeitup
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have stayed here twice and both times were excellent! The food is just awesome! We rode bikes all around Bucerias also. I highly recommend this hotel. Great for family's and just for couples also. More than just one pool which again is good to have at a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Heather C
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I took a quick 1 week vacation to the Royal Decameron at the end of May. I have never been (but have stayed at the Marival down the road) yet my wife has stayed here twice before. This is my 5th vacation to Mexico and perhaps the last………at least for a long, long time.
We booked through Noli Tours and was super simple. Flights and transfers were right on time.
Check-in: From the second my foot hit the ground off the bus to foot in the room was 1 hour, 20 mins!! FAR too long to check into a hotel. Long line up to receive room number and then you need to line up at the cashier to get a room safe. Very poorly organized.
Rooms: Exactly as expected. Simple but clean. We were in block 5 right at the adult pool, ground floor.
Food: Above average. Buffets were good for all meals and the ala-cartes were all good except the Japanese restaurant
Pools: Mainly hung at the adult pool. At least once a day a National child had to be asked to leave. Other pools were jammed full of kids and wasn’t looking for that vibe
Grounds: Well maintained but not overly impressive
Beach: Nice but didn’t spend too much time as I don’t like saying “No Gracias” 100x a day
Bars: Drinks were plenty and fast
Cliental: 90% Nationals at this time of the year. Rude and not welcoming at all. Makes me think that the Mexican economy can’t be doing all that bad if a resort this size is full of Nationals. They had a world cup event on the resort with 500 Nationals arriving on buses the day after we arrived. Somewhat intimidating.
Tipping: I do like to tip when the service is very good (Francisco) but when 90% of the guests are Nationals and never in all my 5 trips to Mexico have I ever seen a National tip, why should foreigners? It’s even laughable when you see a table of 8 Nationals spending 2 hrs at a restaurant having staff at their beck and call not even leave a peso then have me tip a bartender 20 pesos for pulling a draft beer.
Yes this vacation package is cheap but for a reason. I’d suggest spending the extra couple hundred and going south into Nayarit.

6  Thank deezslue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
#5 of 23 in Bucerias
Aventura Pacifico
Aventura Pacifico
#3 of 23 in Bucerias

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!