“Returned after 6 years, still a great place”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Kelowna, Canada
“Returned after 6 years, still a great place”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here in 2007 and stayed again this year. Nothing has changed. Still a sprawling resort with great pools and a great beach. Sure, you can nit pick any resort and this one isn't perfect either and it's all been covered by other reviews. One thing I did want to mention was that the service in the restaurants was outstanding. I have stayed in many higher rated resorts that did not have the service found here. Waiters were on you like flies in any restaurant or snack bar every time bringing you drinks or taking your plates. Even at breakfast they'd be off to fetch you the juice of your choice as soon as they seated you even though you can get it yourself easily. Sometimes as my beer got to half done over supper, the waiter would just arrive with another and say "don't worry, you're on vacation"
I left this time with the same feeling I had last time: although we like to try different resorts and different areas to vacation in, I am certain we will return again.

2 Thank drex1999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,213)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I've been to several all-inclusive resorts, and save for a few particularities, most become interchangeable after a while. That said, the Royal Decameron Complex does have its advantages.

The pros:

-The rooms are clean (bring shampoo and washcloths), with several English channels on TV. I enjoyed a terrific view of the the grounds and the ocean from my room in Block 3 (if you seek absolute peace and quiet, go for Block 6, much farther away from the beach and activities).

-The grounds are very well maintained - spotless, actually.

-The beach is quite wide, with plenty of shade underneath the umbrellas if you reserve a chair early enough in the morning.

-The buildings are colourful, which lends a festive atmosphere to the place.

-The staff was generally quite friendly and helpful.

-The main buffet restaurant is located right on the beach, with a terrific view of the sunset (which is quite amazing).

-The views are amazing, with all those large mountains all around the bay.

-You can actually explore a bit of the area outside the complex. There's a small village/flea market located a short 20-minute walk away either along the beach or a small street (try a quesadilla at the food carts - they are amazing).

The cons:

-Well, resort buffets are what they are. I've seen worse, but the food gets bland pretty quickly. Try the restaurants (which you can only reserve at 8 in the morning - natch). The Italian one, Piccolo, was actually pretty good.

-The water is far from inviting, unfortunately. It's filled with suspended sand (which means you can't see anything), and it's dark gray/brown instead of the beautiful turquoise on the Caribbean side (plus, there was a stingray warning at some point. I was told they are poisonous and require immediate medical attention. Thing is, you can't see them!).

-For those who can't live without their mobile devices, the (free) wi-fi zones are limited and the service is often approximate.

-They charge for the safety deposit box in the room (about $25 for the week), yet it is absolutely essential.

-The pools are nice but not huge or fancy.

-Not much shopping to do on-site, though there is a small flea market on the beach.

-Be prepared to be solicited by locals on the beach all the time, though they are not too insistent.

Two things I highly recommend: take a cab (fixed rate) to downtown Puerto Vallarta at night (about a 25-minute ride). Very nice, lively boardwalk, good shopping and a variety of restaurants.

Also, if you are going to book an excursion, I did the Outdoor Adventure with Vallarta Adventures (booking on-site), and I absolutely loved it. An amazing experience in the tropical forest. Learn more on their website or by asking the booking agent at the resort.

Room Tip: Block 1 is right on the beach. Block 5 has a pool reserved for adults. Block 6 is the farthest away...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Rock66
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Reading all of the reviews is a challenge, what to believe and what not to believe. I can tell you that we just got back yesterday, November 26th 2013, from Decameron after a 7 day stay and it was great. The nightly shows were well choreographed and the dancers were fantastic and we did not even expect the shows to be that good. The food was great and plenty to choose from, with all of the different restaurants.

Making reservations for dinner is a bit of a pain because you have to get up early and pick a # then wait again till your number is called, but the Piccolo is worth it.

All in all...the room was clean and we felt safe and comfortable the entire time.

It is a short walk into the town of Bucerias, which we did a couple of times. Cute little town with a couple of cafe's along the way. They will all "make you a good deal" go to the Mega market if you need most items. Enjoy your time...I know we did and we will return.

Room Tip: Building/block 4, 5, or 6 if you want quieter.
1 Thank Jaime S
Burnaby BC
Reviewed November 26, 2013

3rd time here. 3 weeks this time. Every visit just gets better and better. There was a bit of mix-up with our room but Carlos was able to make it work for us!! Great room with the adult pool just steps from our room. We set up our little piece of Heaven just outside our room every morning!!
Ran into a few couples from the previous 2 visits. It was like old home week!!
It is also so good to see the same staff each year. In the Royal Buffet, Christian continues to give us the same great service. Maria still makes the best omelette in all of Mexico!!! Not to mention her smile!!
We find thar everything is so laid back at the RDC. A person cannot help but totally relax.
We enjoyed all the ala cartes. Food was great. The buffets have something for every-one. Theme nights in the Buffets were great. We especially liked the 70-80's night. Great burgers!!!
We will definite return for many years to come.

5 Thank Ruth L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from 7-11 to 21-11. This is our second Decameron and we left feeling that it probably won't be our last. Check in was probably the best I've ever experienced, quick and simple. We stayed in block 1 and the view was beautiful. The air-conditioning was perfect and we also had some extremely warm days (no complaints though, that's what we came for). The room was completely adequate, very clean and we would like to thank Irene for keeping that way during our stay. The bed was actually pretty comfortable. Our room was pretty quiet most nights but as is with any resort, there were a couple more noisy nights however most of the time the waves were more noisy than the entertainment except, Hey Santana, tone down the volume a bit. The meals were pretty good and the al a carte restaurants were also pretty good the Italian probably the best with the Mexican a close second. Acquiring reservations was however a little funky. If you weren't at the desk by 7am you likely didn't ever get a reservation. This wasn't quite so during the first week of our stay but the second week was much busier at the resort with many more Mexican families. Don't get me wrong, they were uniformly friendly and pleasant people and in my opinion made our visit to Mexico just that much more of an International feel, in all honesty if there was an problem it was more likely a visitor to Mexico that was at fault. We were very impressed with the staff. They were always friendly and really took ownership for their work areas. The maintenance staff took notice of potential issues and dealt with them efficiently and as result we noticed glitches never stayed that way very long. The bar staff were quick and always had a smile, Decameron is either an excellent trainer or the staff is really well looked after. Probably the best comment I have ever heard someone say, was when someone did not have money to tip a employee, the employee said very earnestly "its not a problem, this is all inclusive and its all included". I would like to thank Antoni at the pool for getting me trained to take my first Scuba dive. He was informative, reassuring and well worth the money.
Many thanks to Cyril for arranging for a mini fridge for my wife's medical supplies we are indebted.

4 Thank mechanix155019
Montreal
Reviewed November 25, 2013

If FOOD is an important part of your vacation Royal Decameron could be your place to stay. They have 5 restaurants (reservations required but you can go as much as you want) plus 2 main cafeterias who don't offer always the same plates. They have a new theme each night. You have also have another one who serves hamburgers, fries ....at lunch time. Choices is big enough to satisfies everybody. Food in general is quite good even in the cafeterias, I was often surprised by the quality of food.
If BEACH is the main component of your vacations - you can be satisfied and disapointed. Beach is wide and you can walk as far as you can go. Ocean was warm and not too turbulent. But if you are a carribean ocean fan - you won't appreciate because water is closer to brown than turquoise AND there are some stingrays in the water. I went all week without problems but I've heard that some people were in contact with those.
If you are a POOL person - you will find a great choice. Each "bloque" has its own and you can find an adult pool on Bloque 5.
You will find BARS also everywhere.
If ROOMS are very important for you and you expect little extras - then you can be disappointed. Rooms are clean, confortable but basic. No LCD TV, no shampoo, no fancy bathroom, some little flaws but a nice balcony. This is more a 3* bedroom than a 4*. But as I don't stay very much in my room - it was okay for my needs.
SHOWS for some people are an important part of the success of their vacations. I think you can be satisfied there. Thanks to the professionnal dancers/acrobats and the excellent host.
The PLACE itself is nice, the landscape gardening is wonderful and it is clean, clean, clean everywhere. Plus the STAFF in general are very friendly.
In general, I think you can spend good vacations there. Personnally I did except for one thing: music all over the place are ROCK/POP oriented. I have nothing against this music. But sometimes it can be good to have a little spot where you can relax a little bit or have something different Here it's Rock everywhere, everywhere....

Room Tip: Bloque 5 or 6 are more quiet and you have an adult pool in bloque 5.
4 Thank Scrabble2008
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Friendly staff!
Stayed Nov. 9 – 16th. We came across this hotel as the Riu Jalisco where we have always stayed the past 3 years was closed due to renovations. It was a good opportunity to explore a different hotel.
Very impressed when we checked in and staff had everything alphabetized and made it fast and efficient. Served a refreshing juice upon arrival.
Rooms are definitely basic but the king sized bed was very comfortable. Stayed in block one which is a very central location. Liked the sound of the ocean.

We did try the a la carte restaurants and they were average. But we tend to be foodies. We tended to enjoy the buffets as they served authentic Mexican food and the picco de gallo was kicked up a notch. Loved it!

Caught a 44” long Mahi Mahi and was pleased that Chef Kiki prepared the fish for us. He served it with a chili garlic sauce and a lemon garlic sauce. Mouthwatering flavors! We were unable to eat all of the fish and the waiter wrapped it up for us and we were able to share it with our favorite bartender Rojielo and his team.
My only negative comment would be that I did not enjoy getting up early (7:15) so that I could sit and wait for staff to open the reservation cues. They open at 7:30 a.m. and you get a number. Then at 8:00 a.m. – you are now permitted to make your dinner reservation. However, on a positive note – at least you could make two consecutive reservations.
Staff was very friendly and provided great service.

Shows were excellent and even Cirque du Soleil style. Some very talented entertainment members.

Enjoyed a daily walk to Bucerias just to get some exercise.

Fantastic massage on the beach. Walk on the beach towards Bucerias and the first tent charges you $15.00 p/p. Totally worth it!

Would we return? If the price was right!

4 Thank scandles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,731 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!