“WHEN NOT TO GO!”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 5, 2013

All in all this was a very nice resort with a few exceptions...
If you are looking for a relaxing get-a-way during July & mid August forget it, this is Mexico's spring break for the kids and this place was loaded with them, kids (toddlers & under 15) and lots of them everywhere!! We were very disappointed.
If you travel thru Apple to this location BEWARE!!! since allot of American's do not stay there they NEVER SHOW UP for appointments or to promote excursions, and even when we called them they were rude and hung up on us, I will never use them again!!!!
Also beware of booking any kind of excursions outside of the resort (which we had no choice!) you will get ripped off! Speaking of the flea market area in Bucerias, (GABRIAL) yes they are cheap but they take your money and do not deliver what they promise!!!

Room Tip: If you want to face the ocean ask for ocean front NOT ocean view! The lower the block number you st...
6  Thank dak213

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at the RDC the week of July 27, 2013 to August 3, 2013 and had a GREAT time with my daughter. It was her 16th birthday week and the trip was to celebrate her birthday. We stayed in Block 2 which is right next to one of the main check in areas and it was a great location. We were only steps away from the Flamingo Restaurant where the buffets were for all meals and where you had to make reservations for the Ala Carte restaurants. It was close to the Reception area and the Flamingo lounge where they had free WiFi to connect to and only steps away from the beach. We stayed in room 2110 on the first floor and our room was very clean, no bugs except for those microscopic tiny ants that hang around the bathroom sink. The A/C worked great and we kept it running the entire 7 nights we were there. We were also very close to the Theater/Disco area so the walk to the nightly shows was just about a minute or so.

Bring a large plastic cup from home so you don't have to pay 35 pesos at the gift shop to get a cup. The bar will fill up those cups with your drinks. If you don't have your own cup the tiny plastic solo type cups they serve the drinks in are so small you will be constantly running back and forth to the bar area to get your drinks. The vendors try to sell the cups on the beach for 50 pesos each but the gift shop on the resort sells them for 35 pesos which is about $2.75 American money.

The staff is super nice and will do just about anything for you, they do all speak enough English that you really don't have to worry if you hardly speak/understand any Spanish.

The resort has tons of activities for younger children but they have NOTHING for older teens and this is where I mark down the resort.. I was traveling alone with my almost 16year old daughter. She turned 16 during our stay at the resort. I am way past the young screamy and noisy kid stage and don't want to be stuck in the pools that allow the children in it, so given that the resort has 6 pools and only 1 adult pool that only allows those 18yrs of age and older I had a big problem and issue with this. We broke the rules and went into the adult pool and a few times we had the security guard over in the adult pool and the lifeguard say something to us about my daughter being in the pool and I didn't like the hassle that I got. They did not ever kick us out but the fact that every time we went in the adult pool I had to keep telling her to turn her wrist band inside out and keep her hand under the water so they would not see that she had the yellow under 18 bracelet on was a pain and because I don't really like breaking rules there were several times that we did end up trying the other pools and they going back to the ocean and then walking back to the adult pool because I got tired of being around all the rambunctious kids in the other pools that it became bothersome.. So for people that come with well behaved mature older teenagers there is no dedicated pool that you can relax in with them and not have to deal with the very small children and the loud roudy people that seem to congregate in the other pools. The ocean was very murky and the waves were strong when we were there and many people had been stung by jellyfish during our stay, we saw a stingray inches from us in the very shallow portion of the ocean so we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the ocean.

Aside from the fact the resort has nothing for teenagers and doesn't even have 1 of their 6 pools available for people 15/16yrs and older we still had a great time.

I have no real complaints about the food. The Ala Carte restaurants were good, and our favorite was the Brazilian restaurant "Rodizio" It was not hard to get reservations, I was usually up by 7am and around 7:15 or 7:20 they come with the numbers and then at 8am they start taking the reservations.

If you go to Mexico in the summer months like we did at the end of July and you have a problem with the high humidity you will probably feel very uncomfortable eating in the afternoons and evenings and watching the shows at night. Only 1 of the 7 restaurants is enclosed and has A/C. The Italian restaurant, "Picolo" has A/C, all the other restaurants/buffets areas are outdoor under the Palapas and its very uncomfortable eating during the evenings when there is so much humidity. Also the nightly shows at the Theater are outdoor. I was only able to handle the show 2 nights out of the 7 nights we were there because after sitting through the humidity of dinner I just couldn't handle another hour and a half sitting and watching the show from 9:30 to 11pm in the humidity.

I would definitely recommend this resort. We had a great time, met some really nice people and made some great new friends while we were there. I would go back to this resort but just not at the time of the year we did because they don't have enough restaurants that have A/C and trying to enjoy a nice dinner in all the humidity was hard and uncomfortable at times. Other times of the year when it's not so humid is probably not going to be an issue.

Room Tip: Block 2 was great, centrally located and not real noisy. We met a couple that stayed in Block 1 whic...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank tpadul
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I went here with three other family members. The second we got there the staff treated us like we were home, they were fantastic. However whenever I went to get a drink, I'd ask for a coke and they'd give me a rum and coke, even though I asked for no alcohol and I was 17 back then. It was very annoying. Plus they had no coffee maker or anything like that in the room, and when I went to get tea they didn't serve it in the morning which was also annoying. It's basically you get what you pay for as it is very cheap to go here.

However, the food was FANTASTIC! There are multiple restaurants in each area, with different themes. They were beautiful and really good selection for food. The rooms were very clean, and the pools were great too. I would recommend it but I'd never go again myself.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Alison M
Reviewed July 31, 2013

3 of us ages 20, 29 and 31 were at the Royal from July 13th to 20th. I am not a resort person as I like going off the beaten path but my friends felt more comfortable with an all inclusive. The Royal Decameron was amazing! I loved everything about it. The staff was amazing from bartenders to waiters to housekeeping to Carlos in the disco! We tipped all the time not because we thought it would get better service but because these guys deserve it. We tipped in pesos, just a note please do not tip with loonies and toonies they are unable to take Canadian coin to their banks so it is useless to them. You can use American, pesos and Canadian just not our coins. We always found a spot on the beach which was lovely, we are not pool people so didnt use the pools but they did look great. You can easily walk to the town of Bucerias on the beach so cute and vendors everywhere so be prepared. Just say not thank you and you are good to good. Vendors do come on the beach and most are really funny but no thank you goes a long way.
Going to downtown PV was only 250 pesos which is around 25 bucks. I am not sure why other people paid so much more from the resort and from the town it was always 250 pesos. Be sure to ask for the price before you get into the cab.
We were in building 5 which was very quiet but easy to get to everything. Rooms were clean and yes they do miss the little things like pen and paper and tissue but hey easy to live without. We left a note everyday with a tip asking for more water and they always gave it to us. You need to pay for the safe which was around 28 bucks but worth it. It sucks not having a mini fridge but you can easily live without.
Honestly it was such a great place the food was great the service even better it was just fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank MellieEdmonton
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We just got back from the Royal Decameron - July 20-27. This was our seventh trip. We love this place because it is always great fun and the staff is super. We requested (and got) rooms on the 2nd floor in Building 6. It is the newest and has really good air conditioning. After all the great food wedon't mind a little walk back to the room, either! We have stayed at most of the buildings, and especially like buildings 1 and 6; One, because it is where the action is, and Six because it is so quiet. We like to go in the summer as the guests are about 90% Mexican, and the Flamingo buffet serves food from a different state of Mexico. Even though we are in a minority, we are always well-treated by the staff. The guests are very friendly and never mind waiting for translations. Of course, it never hurts to work on your Spanish, too.

Bucerias is a great little town with a big market every day. There are several really good restaurants, like Marks, on the walk in along Lazaro Cardenas, and prices are good. Be sure to have an ice cream or ice bar at the Michoacan Ice Cream store downtown in Bucerias.

It is worth it to take the bus into Puerto Vallarta; they rebuilt the Malecon (sea wall) for the Pan-Am games in 2010 and it is a triumph. All of the original bronze statues are there, plus some extras as a bonus. Many of the artists who made them are world famous, like Bustamante, who has a store just up from the Our Lady of Guadaloupe church. The old sea wall was showing it's age, and there was no access to the beach. Now the wall has drop-down walkways to the beach incorporated into it.

Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful city, and you can get there on the bus on the highway by the gates. To get into tow you wake two buses; one to the WalMart/Sam's Club (cost $13Peso's each) and one from the WalMart to El Centro (cost $13Peso's each), Coming home is just the reverse, and if you tell the driver you want off at the Royal Decameron he will stop at the right place. There are a lot of time share people but they are not pushy - just say no.

A word about the airport; there are lots time share people inside the airport who will act like they are your tour agent. Pass them by and look for your agent holding up a tour company sign - they will be near the exit, and will tell you which bus to go to.

We always used to buy booze at the "DuFree" at the airport. This year their prices were outrageous. The duty free on the plane was actually cheaper! The best place to get booze is at the WalMart/Sam's club shopping centre, but you have to pack it in your checked baggage.

There are several tours offered at the hotel, but you can get the same tours at much better prices on the road (Lazaro Cardenas) to Bucerial at a shop called "Scott's Tours". If you don't want to go on tours, this is great place to "veg". Lots of beach to walk, 5 big pools (one adults only), great food Three buffets (we always had brekkie at the Royal buffet, which is open for breakfast and lunch then becomes the Jap-Jap and Thai restaurants at night) and five alacart restaurants. There is good entertainment at the outdoor theatre beginning at 9:30 PM (be there early) and the disco right next to the theatre opens right after the show and runs until 3:00 AM.

Tip the bus driver $20peso's and the bellboys $20peso's per bag to carry them to your room. Tip your maid $20peso's every day and she'll be happy. Otherwise, tip a little at the alacarts and for great service at the bars and buffets.

Room Tip: Request what you want in advance, if you know where to go. Buildings three and two are a bit noisy...
11  Thank FamilyLloyd
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Clean, bright, cheerful atmosphere. Good housekeeping, clean rooms and grounds, but the beach was a bit dirty. My husband got stung by a jellyfish and the first aid guy was more interested in his conversation with the ladies than he was in helping my husband find some vinegar to stop the sting. My husband ended up finding some from the kitchen staff on his own after going trough three staff members to get it. Horrible coffee in all the restaurants and no cream to be found, only milk. The Italian restaurant was the only air conditioned place in the whole resort, other than the disco/bar, the spa, and of course your room. The Italian restaurant had very good food and service, in fact the food in all the buffets and restaurants was generally very very good, and with the exception of a few staff, mostly the service was very good. A gentleman named Hector who worked on the buffet near the adult pool went out of his way to hear our complaints/comments about a few things, and he made us a reservation for the Italian restaurant for the next night. He was awesome, and so was our dinner the next night. The quality of the alcohol they served at most of the bars was pretty sub-par... I'm not a "cervesa" drinker and so I got really sick of all the pre-mixed artificially flavored and colored cheap "versions" of tropical cocktails they served. Sangria became my "go-to" libation. The rooms were clean, but very basic. We had a kingsize bed, which was fairly comfortable with good pillows. The a/c in our room could have had a little more power, but it was mostly ok. No bathtub, only a tile shower, no alarm clock, no pen and paper, and NO INSTRUCTIONS OR INFORMATION ABOUT ANYTHING ON THE RESORT!!! No information in the rooms about locations on the grounds, no maps, no instructions about reservations for any services or restaurants, nothing at all!! Very confusing. And exchanging money on the resort was also a hassle, as they would only let you change up to $250 worth at one time, and of course there was a fee each time, no ATM on site, and the one across the street from the resort only gave American money??!? We're Canadian... We stayed in block one, right on the ocean. Beautiful view, but you pay for it with noise... Noisiest block on the resort. The sound of the ocean at night was the only pleasant sound we heard from our room! The rest was banging music from the pools and bars, or the nightly loud announcer and music from the show at the amphitheater. Forget going to bed early if you have an early morning excursion!!! However, we did go and see the nightly show once, and it was very good, very talented performers, better than we expected. They did a different themed show every night, and the one we saw was a copy of Cirque du Soliel style. The adult pool was fairly quiet, which we appreciated. But they need better filtration... By mid/late afternoon the pool was becoming covered in dead bugs and leaves, and there was a totally gross "oil slick" of peoples sunscreens collecting in a floating mass in the middle of the pool... Yuck! We were there at a time when the resort was filled with Mexican Nationals, as this is there vacation time. That was cool to see, but be prepared if you go at this time, they take EVERYONE on vacation with them and so they are in large groups everywhere. All the cousins, aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas parents and many many children!!!! I did wonder if we had gone at a time of year more typical for Canadian travelers if the resort atmosphere would have been different. One other point... They advertise on their website as having a shuttle into town every day... It no longer exists due to taxi cab union interference, as we were told. But that shuttle was a big deciding factor for us, as we've been to Puerto Vallarta twice before and we knew we would want to go into town several times and we'd be doing excursions, etc. The cab fare to PV downtown from Royal Decameron is $580 pesos (about $45) before tip. Quite a chunk of change! That "supposed" shuttle was something we were counting on. You can take the bus, it's very cheap, (public transit) but its a long, hot, bumpy ride, and not something we wanted to endure every time we went into town with what precious time we had for a one week vacation. I can't say I would go back to the Royal Decameron again, partly because it is so far from town, but also because we've had better experiences in PV before, and also for all the reasons I have discussed in this review. It is an affordable trip however. We booked a package through Noli Tours, through Flight Center in Edmonton, and everything was very organized on both ends as far as Noli Tours was concerned. The only other comment I could make has nothing to do with the resort, but the heat and humidity were truly, literally overwhelming in July, so beware of heatstroke and dehydration! :)

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank BlondeBabyAdventures
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked this trip at the last minute, and were very pleased with the resort. The staff was friendly. The room and resort was clean and well-kept up. There was an adult-only pool which we liked. We liked that it was in a small town, but not far from the city. The food was good and many different styles were available. We had only three complaints. First does every place in the resort have to have music playing, and if so, does it have to be classic rock? Some places there was one song come from one direction and a second song coming from another direction and a third different song from another direction. We would have liked silence once in a while. The one really annoying thing is if we wanted to get a reservation at the specialty restaurants we had to get up at 7:15 to get number so we could wait till 8 so we could see if you could get a reservation. Really? Getting up at 7:15 on vacation? How about instead of a two step system (get a number, then wait to get a reservation) it is a one part process (show up get in line and get a reservation)? Or better yet, a system where you don't have to get up? Couldn't a computer based system be available? Go online and sign up the night before for example. Finally, the staff seemed amazed that we didn't want free booze. Numerous times when the restaurant staff asked us if we want a cocktail and we said no we didn't want alcohol they followed up by offering us wine or beer, as if they don't contain alcohol. When we stated we wouldn't be having anything with alcohol some of them said, "well maybe later, or tomorrow." How about just taking no for an answer?

1  Thank photodude4food
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!