Royal Decameron Complex
Free cancellation until 05/30
$214
$160
  • Pool
Samba Vallarta All Inclusive(Flamingos)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 05/28
$238
$200
  • Breakfast included
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa(La Cruz de Huanacaxtle)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 05/30
Book now, pay at stay
$168
$133
Savings alert! 48% below average rates

The price you found is 48% lower than this hotel's average rate of $254/night.

Priceline
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
Hotel Riu Vallarta(Nuevo Vallarta)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
5,199 results
All reviewsadult poolpuerto vallartaroom in blocka la carte restaurantsjap japrooms are basicbring your own shampooiguana treehard plasticair mattressitalian restaurantflea marketsnack barsafe keyair transatstayed in buildingface cloths
Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you want to socialize with Mexicans, practice your Spanish, watch a lot of ninos having fun, and eat some very good Mexican food, you will like this place. We have been going to Mexico for 20 years and this resort is close to the bottom end in terms of “stars” that we have stayed at. And yet it was my spouse's favorite resort. The key is really what you are looking for in a Mexican vacation. Also, the price is right – usually close to the lowest price being offered.

Facilities

This is an older resort that is being maintained very well. Lots of bright colors that are being repainted constantly, beautiful grounds, clean rooms, good AC, good water pressure, and beds that were very comfortable to us. There are six “Bloques” of rooms, and each offers something different. We started out in #6, which was okay, but too far from the beach and activities for us. We changed to #4, which was very centrally located and convenient to everything. #1 is directly on the beach, but costs extra. #2 and #3 are close to activities, but too loud for us. And #5 is across the road next to #6 and offers an adult-only pool. All units are close to a bar, a restaurant(s), pools, and administrative services. This is a large facility with over 600 rooms, but it is well-layed out so nothing you need is far away.

You won't get amenities in the rooms you might expect. Bring your own tissue, shampoo, washcloths (we got one on one day out of 10), and drinking water if you need more than a liter a day per room. We always tip the maids and they'll give you what you need if they have it and you remind them everyday, but don't expect “towel art” on your bed.

The lounge chairs are newer, clean, attractive, plentiful, and totally UNCOMFORTABLE. Whoever made this purchase should be fired! People buy air mattresses to make them tolerable. We borrowed a couple of cushions from bar chairs to supplement ours. The backs do not tilt vertically far enough. My back hurt all the time, and it still does. What a shame!

People

The staff at the resort is top notch, but not perfect. Everyone tries to help, but we sometimes got conflicting answers to questions – like, “Can we get boarding passes printed?” “Yes” from two at the front desk, and “No, it's against the law.” from the assigned help person. Food orders were sometimes badly messed up in the ala carte restaurants. The issues were not unusual for any resort, and they would do their best to please when they could.

The resort was at 99 to 100% full 8 of the 10 days we were there. Most of the guests were Mexican and they bring their children. The rest were mostly Canadians. That made for a lot of people at the resort. We never felt that it was too many to have a good time. Some of the pools were crowded, but the adult-only was never crowded. There were plenty of lounge chairs, even though the towel game was being played. It was always easy to get a drink in any of the bars and always lots of seating there.. Smoking, which can be a major irritant for us, was pretty well controlled, It is only allowed outside, and MOST people respected this rule.

The food is actually quite good. The only ala carte restaurant that impressed us was the Picalo. We had some wonderful dishes there, but I had steak medallions (it was actually a whole steak) that was so tough I could barely cut it let alone chew it. They immediately asked me what else I might want and had the replacement dinner out very quickly. I can't complain at all about the buffets. The food was tasty and varied, and we never felt we couldn't find something good to eat. If a particular buffet restaurant doesn't look appealing, you can easily walk to another and see if they have something better for you. Avoid sitting under fans in the restaurants. The food, for the most part, is not super hot, and the fans will quickly take it to cold. We never had an issue with getting reservations – not sure why this is an issue for so many people. We never waited in line, and never got up early to get a spot. Sometimes we had to alter our plan and go for a different restaurant than planned, but most of the time we got our first choice. And, yes, this was with 99% capacity.

The bars serve all drinks in a small 7.5 ounce plastic cup. Many people quickly replace this with a much larger cup from the store – as in 16 to 24 ounces, and usually insulated. We weren't that thirsty, but did miss being able to get some nice drinks in traditional fashion – like martinis with olives, mojitos with mint, cosmopolitan, etc. Not a big deal, but adjust your expectations.

Room Tip: If you arrive and find your room is not in the bloque you would like, go to the front desk. We did this on the second day and were immediately moved to a location that was perfect for us.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Dugfir
Reviewed May 27, 2013

What can I say. I have been here 4 out of 6 times alone. Security is good, the resort is clean, it allows you to actually have fun and enjoy yourself. If your looking for peaceful and quiet dont stay here. Theres activities for adults and kids. Adult only pools are nice feature.

I just went in April, and I leave again in 3 weeks. they always put off great sales on tripcentral. I go at least once a year. Cant wait to see you again :)

Room Tip: if i cant suggest ask for a room not on the top floor. climbing the stairs can suck when your hot and tired.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Steph Q
Reviewed May 26, 2013

After reading some reviews we were a little nervous. From the check in to check out, we were pampered at this resort. The staff are AWESOME!!! The food was good and lots of choices. Our bed was great, a king, and our room was huge . The walk to Bucerias is a must!
Cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want no noise, then block 6. Block 1 is on the ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Almeta W
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at the Royal DelCameron May 18-25 and had a great time. In response to the criticism of this resort: check-in and check out were both extremely efficient. We had faceclothes in our bathroom and the room was nice and large (no dresser for clothes though), maid service was regular and room/buildings were all kept immaculately, one of our beds seemed harder than the other but was fine (the room was in better shape than rooms I've stayed in at 5 star resorts). We stayed in block 6 which was about a 5 min walk to the beach but not a problem. We requested this block due to other reviews that it is the most quiet but I think the ocean front buildings would have been fine because the waves drown out any noise and I think our pool was actually more noisy because it was so full of kids. About 80-90 percent of the guests were Mexicans and they were all nice and very similar to Canadians (respectful, not too loud) and very into their families - no problems with drunks anywhere.

Food was good, particularly the Italian and Mexican restaurants as well as the sushi at the Japanese restaurant. The guacamole and salsa were AMAZING and they have the traditional fried tortilla chips to go with it. My husband also enjoyed the hamburgers and there were always refried beans (very good) and egg dishes, some bean dishes but they mainly had meat in them, for vegetarians. Breakfasts were always a nice variety (omlettes, french toasts, sausage, etc). I didn't like that they don't have a beachside or poolside grill where you can take food out to sit on your chairs - I understand though that this is probably one way they keep the resort so clean and cut down on their costs. Also, the wine was fine - it wasn't high end but if you've ever drank homemade wine you can drink this wine. Also there were no line ups anywhere, other than to reserve for the restaurants - you have to get in line by 730am or before to get a number, then you come back at 8am to sign up for your evening dinner reservation - this part of the resort I didn't like at all and I think is a big reason why it's not a 5 star. Also, there is no room service to get food in your room but we've never used this at a resort anyways.

Staff seem genuinely happy and friendly - very good service. There were always chairs to be found - I only noticed some "chair savers" at the adult pool. The beach is very clean and no rocks on the beach (great for boogie boarding). They have ocean kayaks, boogie boards and catamarans for free on the beach. There are also bikes you can ride for free (however your child would probably need to be about 12, size-wise to fit the bike). You can easily walk into the market (half an hour if you're walking leisurely) - we walked along the street that runs through the resort and it was nice to see all of the little businesses and homes along the way. The guys who sell their goods on the beach are friendly and very respectful - a smile and a "no gracias" is all they need to move on - not pushy at all.

I would recommend this resort to my friends - it's about half the price of similar resorts and other than having to make dinner reservations and the food not being as good as what I've had at a 5 star resort, it's just as good quality. Hope this is helpful -

Room Tip: I think any of the rooms would be fine - we didn't find the ocean front rooms to be any more noisy than those in block 5 and 6. My husband heard the disco faintly one night from the bathroom in block 6 and I imagine it would have been louder in block 5 but it wasn't a problem. I'd definitely stay beachfront here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank zoomcalgary
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I simply love everything about this resort, clean rooms, friendly staff, excellent variety of food/restaurants. Lots of pools, nice beach, nice sand, good entertainment. I loved the beach party on Friday night. Excellent location, safe. Some locals spend their holidays in this resort and we get to meet them and chat with them. I look forward to visting again hopefully this fall.
I am very surprised to read so many bad reviews about this resort, I just do not understand it. Every person I have met and asked they had similar opinion to mine. This has nothing to do with this resort: Please be careful at the airport when you land of people who work for timeshare. My advise is: Once you get to the airport and you pass custom go directly to find your bus or take a Taxi to the hotel and do not talk to guys who work for timeshares, they are wearing uniforms but have nothing to do with your hotel/holidays. they are so agressive and won't leave alone.

Room Tip: I stayed in block 5 for adults only, 4th floor and no elevator, if you have problem claiming stairs get lower floor. Block 4, 5 and 6 are away from noise, although I would stay in any block because I don't go to bed early. I usually go to my room when all parties have finished and no more noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo