We returned yesterday from a 7 day trip to the Bucerias and the Royal Decameron. The weather was spectacular and spending time together, as a family in a different climate, for Christmas was awesome.
The grounds of the resort are immaculate and colourful. Groundkeepers are out early and keep the resort looking lush, clean and green. The resort has 5 pools and you are welcome to use anyone you like if over 18. The pool at block 1 is the activity pool and has games, music and fun pumping each day. The pool at block 5 is an adult only pool and is pretty quiet. We spent most of our time at the pool by block 3 and loved it. It was refreshing after spending some time on the beach or cooling off after being in the sun. There is also a bar quite close and Hector, the bartender, learned our drinks very quickly. The view of the ocean is also great. All of the pools have bars close by and the service staff is friendly and outgoing. The alcohol at the bars is not of the best quality, but flows freely and they will accommodate your requests for doubles or larger drinks. There is also a Lounge Bar that is open from 5-11:00. It has TV’s and they broadcast North American sports. It is a great place for before and/or after dinner drinks.
We had 3 rooms on the second floor of building three. I had emailed the hotel about a month prior to our arrival stating that we would like to stay in either building 3 or 4. This was based on the numerous reviews we read on this forum beforehand. As we were a family of 7 (65, 47, 44, 40, 38, 13, and 11) travelling together, we wanted 2 rooms close together for Granma and 2 grandchildren that were next to the kids’ parents' room. We requested a third room on the same floor for my husband and I, so we would all be in the same area. They accommodated us perfectly. Granma and the kids took the room furthest away from their parents and aunt and uncle. It was a room with 2 balconies (3229) and an amazing view of the pool area and ocean. Granma paid for the trip, so good for her. We all felt safe walking and staying in our rooms.
The rooms were clean and of average Mexican standards. Nothing overly fancy; almost like an Econo-Lodge. However, we didn't spend any time in our rooms other than to sleep and shower. The one thing to note is that deliveries to the restaurant between buildings 3 and 4 start quite early (at least 4:30 a.m.) in the morning. We were awakened each morning by the trucks and employees unloading. You could also hear the slamming of dishes as they got ready for the morning meal. However, we quickly learned to close our bathroom window and door and that seemed to keep the noise down. I would suggest avoiding the rooms at the end of the halls in building 3 if you are a light sleeper.
The buffets for breakfast were good with a lot of choice. Omelet and fresh egg stations, fresh fruit and bread, cheeses, yogurts cereals, potatoes, ham, bacon, sausage and a wide selection of juices could be found each morning. No need to eat the same breakfast 2 days in a row, unless you wanted to. The Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve was fabulous with real turkeys carved in front of you and a huge variety of salads, meats and desserts. It was a North American Christmas dinner, but with the wonderful sound of waves and sand in the background. On Thursday night, they had a Mexican fiesta with a Mariachi band and a parade through the buffet area. Many Mexican dishes to try, but also lots of other choices, as well. All in all, I would say that the buffet food was average. We could find something to eat each day to satisfy our hunger, but nothing really stood out. Though the french fries and guacamole were quite good.
We did book three meals at the al-a-carte restaurants.
You need to line up for numbers by the Flamingo Restaurant or by Block 4 in order to make reservations for these restaurants. Numbers are given out at 7:30 a.m., but most people start lining up before 7:00 a.m. They start making reservations at 8:00 a.m. and you can book for that night and the next night. It is often difficult to get a number and many people left disappointed. I went down on 3 mornings and I was able to get reservations for our group on 3 occasions for the restaurants we wanted. A lot of people thought that there had to be a better system, but it worked for us.
Rodizio is a Brazilian restaurant with lots of meat. Some of it tastes a bit different than at home, but everyone was able to find something they liked to eat. Piccolos is an Italian restaurant and we had 2 dinners there. I enjoyed it more than Rodizio. Both of these restaurants seem to be the ones that most people tried to reserve. They do have a selection of 5 al-a-carte restaurants and most seemed to be full on the nights we were there.
The staff at all the restaurants and bars were attentive and friendly. It is obvious that they take pride in their work and try to meet the needs of all their guests. Housekeeping staff was also friendly and greeted us each day with Hola or good morning. They did miss towels, water and toilet paper in a couple of our rooms, on a few occasions, but a quick call to the front desk took care of our needs. All in all, The Royal Decameron was an excellent choice for our family vacation and I would not hesitate to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Decameron Complex composed of three hotel units: Flamingos, Tropical and Royal, is located 20 minutes from Puerto Vallarta International Airport on the most exciting and extensive beach of the beautiful Bay of Banderas in the typical Mexican town of Bucerias in Riviera Nayarit. The colorful architecture of the Royal Decameron Complex offers 5 swimming pools, 4 of which are suitable for children, and long stretch of beach where you can enjoy different activities, non-motorized water sports and bar services. You can also enjoy a large number of buffet and a la carte options with specialized restaurants including: JAP JAP, Wok, MexicanoFusion, Piccolo and Steak House, among others. We also offer 6 bars along the beach and beside the swimming pools. The Royal Decameron Complex also has other installations like the Vallarta disco, 3 tennis courts, one soccer pitch and a fun Kids Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Royal Decameron Complex reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Vallarta
- Royal Decameron Hotel
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Bucerias
- Royal Decameron Mexico
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Mexico
- Royal Decameron Complex Puerto Vallarta
- Royal De Cameron
- Royal Decameron Nuevo Vallarta
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Hotel
- Puerto Vallarta Royal Decameron