“Loved the Royal Decameron”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the Royal Decameron”
Reviewed October 30, 2003

I spent 2 glorious weeks at the Royal Decameron complex from September 20th to October 4th, Mexico and loved every single moment there! The staff are friendly and courteous, the food was great (although a little repetitive in the 2nd week), and I absolutely loved the Adult Pool! One weekend we had children in the pool, and a few of us complained, and they had the family moved to a different pool. The rooms were comfortable and clean, the mattresses are hard, but I like them that way. If you go to bed early, don't stay in Complex 3, since the outdoor shows go in the theatre some nights and can get quite loud if you're staying in that block. The gardens are beautiful and well kept and the whole complex is that way. Can't wait to go back - it was the most enjoyable stay I've ever had anywhere! Do go into Puerto Vallarta - it's old and quaint and beautiful. Lots to see and do - you can do nothing or you can be busy from sunrise to sunset. Have a wonderful trip!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
Reviewed October 25, 2003

I dont know if I'd call it "Royal" but it had a rustic, mexican charm and simplicity to it. You arrive at the "tropical" reception lobby, vaulted thatched ceiling there, very nice to relax and do nothing but think of what you'd like to do next. As with all the reviews here, I agree that the staff was very nice. There were four swimming pools, one for adults only, which I enjoyed. The main pool had a "Antonio Bandarous" type cool mexican employee who pumped up the guests to enjoy some events offered, such as water polo, water basketball, beach olympics, (which I sucked at but still had fun), beach volleyball and some salsa lessons. Keep your eyes open for him in the disco, he's everywhere that guy! On the beach under the little thatch roof shade umbreallas, besides the vendors, (be ruthless when haggling with them or you won't get any deals!), the beach staff was offering free use of kayaks, boogie boards and I think swim fins, maybe mask and snorkel too. If you signed up they will take you out on a small sailing catameran too. Swimming in the pools was not allowed after 8 pm. The beach was also off limits after sundown due to jellyfish and other things. One security man told us that some sea snakes come into the shallows to chase some kind of other creature into the sand where they burrow down into the sand and eat them. I never saw them but I believe it. The water was perfect for swimming when we were down there Oct 12 thru 20th. They also had horse riding and para-sailing on the beach too, oh, and sea-doos too. Watch the grassy areas for foot long iguana's strolling quietly thru the grass. They dont care if you watch unless you get too close. Try to get into the newly renovated building that is closest to the beach, it looks nice. Read some of the reviews and look for Scott down near the bridge going over to the flea market one half hour walk due north of the resort. Apparently he gets you the tours for way cheaper than most. Warning, if you want to try the tequila be careful Ive heard it sneaks up on you. The bars are always ready to give you fast service for drinks. The food I thought was great, a nice cross section for everyone to find something to enjoy. I only wished that the ice-cream was available throughout the day and evening, its usually only certain days between 1 and 3 pm. Why? Good question. Two warnings for security...watch your daughters on the beach with thses vendors, they can try to get too friendly, wanting to meet them later after they are finished. The other problem we heard from others. For example, one couple said they were in their room relaxing au naturale and in comes a resort employee who quickly turned around and fled. The man grabbed a towel and ran out to find him but to no avail. Another couple said the cleaning staff were not fully closing the door, which left it insecure. Not good. Make sure you rent the security box inside the rooms, they cost extra but worth it. As for cockroaches I saw only one live one the whole week, he was in the bathroom where it was damp, and one gecko slipping behind the mirror.
We would leave a light on hoping that would discourage any pesty night crawlers from coming out for a visit. All in all we really enjoyed the resort BUT, for a few dollars more we were told we could have had a resort that was more classier thatn the rustic Decameron. Due to the damp humidity you'll see some mold on area's of the building, I dont think its too dangerous....have fun!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 25, 2003

We had our dream vacation in room 3419 from october18 till oct.26. we enjoyed the activity team and the night show. The only problem when we lost our keys and somebody foundit, returnit back to the receptionist, nobody contacted us to tell us it's found. We did not know for whom to tip and when to tip. also we like to know if the hotel videotape the night show and from where to get a copy.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 22, 2003

Just arrived home after a great time in Royal Decameron Hotel Bucerias Mexico. Read the reviews before I went and couldn't believe it was the same hotel. The food was of good quality and could always find something to eat. It was clean and well maintained especially the swimming pools. Staff were friendly and helpful and worked extremely hard. The Rhythems of the night trip is worth doing. The only drawback was when it rained there was a lack of cover and the grounds were quite poorly lit. Would go back for a return visit. A visit to the bucerias grill is a must and the cafe magana bar is also worthy of a visit. the grilled shrimps are a must as is their sauces.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 22, 2003

I have been to the Royal Decameron twice now and am planning a third trip back in January. I love this place! The surroundings are so beautiful, the staff is great, Jimmy, Lucio and Oscar were our favorites! I couldn't imagine anything more! My husband and I have been to Cabo San Lucas and Cancun and we loved Puerto Vallarta the most! I love all the activities and shows and the beach and the bars and the pools and just absoluetly everything!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 21, 2003

I guess I was at a different resort than the people from Chicago. My family and I had a wonderful time at the DeCameron. 10/14 thru 10/20.
Some people may never be happy. You have to remember this is Mexico.
The food was excellent for buffet food. There was always more choices for the picky kids than they would ever want. Don't be cheap a few dollars goes along way in any culture. TIP YOUR WAITER and see how things happen. The only bad part wbout the trip was the few rude, cheap people that figure they paid for an all inclusive deal and they wanted everything NOW and THEIR WAY. Where does anyone get that at home? Rooms very clean the grounds where beautiful and the kept spotless dispite the people leaving cups everywhere, they were picked up right away. It was about 70% full when we were there and 50% the week after. Mostly Canadains and Brits. Not many kids this time of year. I had four with me and they had the time of their lives. And these are kids that grew up in the water coast to coast and weeks on Lake Powell with all the toys. They did not like going anywhere they just wanted the beach and pools. Plenty for them to do. Entertainment every night and food always available. I can see how went it is full it could be crowded with kids.
And the Mexican people can comunicate better. Just tip the bartenders and waiters and they will remember you. They work 12 to 14 hours days.
Watch out for jelly fish. Several where stung, including my daughter while we were there. Dr. took care of it with compresses and a shot for 800 pesos. Take a insulated cup for your drinks by the pool. The bartenders will wash them and fill them up. they will keep things colder and hold much more than the 6 oz. cups. Participate in the pool activities, they are fun. Walk down the first road on the left leaving the hotel and you will find the town a short walk. On the way there is a guy named Scott from Canada that will sell you any tour you want for much cheaper than the hotel or anywhere else. They all cost the vender the same, the mark up is the commission they can get you to charge.
Take the bus on the main road to town. It is fun. The cab stand in front of the hotel will make any deal you want to take you anywhere and wait for you. They will take you on all day tours of the towns, mountians and beer and teguilla factories. Great place and will go again. Painless vacation spot.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oreana IL
Reviewed October 17, 2003

My husband and I, his children and their spouses, and his sister and her husband just got back from the Royal Decameron. We all had a great time. The rooms were not that great, however, the rest of the resort was wonderful. The staff was very friendly and eager to please. I cannot say enough about the quality of service that we received. It was wonderful. The resort has several pools to choose from. We spent a lot of time at the adults only pool. It was very quiet and relaxing. My husband and I have never cared for buffets, however, the food was excellent. I recomend the massage, it was very relaxing. We liked the fact that we did not have to dress up to eat. We have to do that everyday for work, we did not want to do that on vacation. The men in our group did not like the mexican beer, so one of the guys walked a few blocks, bought a cooler and a beer called modello light, they said it tasted like miller light. It is a 25 minute trip into the city but it was worth it. We would definately go back to the Royal Decameron.

2 Thank Lvollie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!