“Mexico Rocks!!”

Royal Decameron Complex
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was the first time to Mexico and the first time staying in the Royal Decameron Chain of Hotels. Firstly let me start by saying: beware of the Timeshare sharks at the Airport!!! When arriving, they pretend that they are part of your tour guide and then try and sell you tours and timeshares, so please beware of this when arriving. After this bizarre experience, we got on the tour bus to our resort. After being to many resorts in the world and a few all inclusive resorts, I was pleasantly surprised :) The service we received from the time when we got off the bus until the time we were leaving a week later was fantastic!! They were efficient in allocating our rooms, taking the bags to the room and always full of smiles and no complaints, even though the temperature was in the late 30's and 100% humidity!!
We were pleased with our clean rooms, and this is a 4* in Mexico, so not all the toiletries are supplied except soap, but that is fine, as I always take my own.
We left tips of 20 Pesos per day for the housekeeper (Isabel) who was always smiling and even left 2 bottles of water per day in our room.
The buffets for the food were exceptional, as the choice was unbelievable, if you could not find anything to eat, then you could only blame yourself, as there was so much food, that it was impossible to try it all. There were 4 buffets restaurants where you could eat, and this was available for 24 hours a day. Including a snack bar, incase you were not full enough.
The 5 al la carte restaurants were superb! We booked one every night and each experience was Unique! The Italian (Piccolo) was fantastic, from the service to the food and the ambience. The Grill (Rodizio) was awesome, tip: don't each too much during the day before going here for dinner, as the food just keeps on coming and coming, and it is delicious.
The Japanese restaurant was great too.
The staff were always friendly and helpful and the activities and entertainment were some of the best I have ever seen. BRAVO to the Dancers in the evening shows, they are from all parts of South America and they were awesome.
Even though it was hot and humid, the pools were always welcoming, especially the adult pools, as they were quiter than the ones with the children. The alcohol was NOT watered down in any way, and was always free flowing.
There were kayaks/catamarans and boogie boards for the beach available, and these were fun, but unfortunately I got stung by jelly fish, so beware of this if you go in jellyfish season.
My boyfriend and I went on 3 Excursions, organised thru the hotel (Vallarta Adventures) and they were amazing!! The first was the EXTREME ADVENTURE, this included loads of Ziplining and repelling, and then to top off the day, the longest Zipline in South America - 1.6km long, WOW what a fun day. The next was the Dolphin Extreme adventure - where you get to swim and experience the day with Dolphins and a Sea Lion. This was definitely a trip to do, and once in a lifetime experience. The cherry on the cake was the Rythms of the Night show, where you take a Catamaran boat trip to Las Caletas Cove, have a romantic dinner on the beach at sunset, and then get to watch an amazing show with Fire dancers and acrobats on a scene of Rustic and Aztec features. The trip home on the Catamaran, was awesome, as you dance on the boat under the stars you feel just like a rock star!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to relax, and not worry about thinking for a week. Highly recommended and thank you to everyone for making my first trip to Mexico one I would never forget!!

Room Tip: We chose the beach front room, you pay a little extra when you book, but definitely worth it, this i...
6  Thank Elaine B

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Royal Decameron in Nuevo Vallarta is a great family spot. The staff are incredibly attentive and the food is exceptional. There are a number of restaurants to select from, although you need to stand in line to book your seating (has to be a better way to do this). There is also an "all adult" pool if you want to be away from the kids. The market is within walking distance and has just about anything you might be looking for. The vendors are easy going and very friendly. We have travelled to this resort 2 times now, and, for the price would not hesitate to go back again. Great vacation spot all round!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank SHONZEE
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was the first time we stayed in the Royal Decameron in Puerto Vallarta. Compared to the Royal Decameron in Panama it is like a slice of pie. The staff were always helpful and friendly. They had our room wrong when we arrived but without too much hazzle we were able to get it changed. The maid did a great job of keeping our room clean. No shampoo but we took our own so no big deal. Weather was extremely hot and humid but we knew that and were prepared. The buffet breakfast and lunch were always the same but the other resturants were outstanding for supper. For our liking the music was too loud but then you could always move to where it was quietier. Only once in the bar off the main check in did we ask to have them turn the music down. Would we go again, you bet. Would I recommend it, you bet.

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view were great, block one but move back a few rooms from the noise or you will...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank retired7657
Reviewed September 22, 2012

First, about us. I am a pilot and stay in many hotels and resorts due to work. My wife and I and 2 infants (<2 years old) traveled to Royal Decameron based on the reviews. I would give it 2.5 on the reviews if I could.

There were three poor points about the resort.

1. Management:
At check in, no rooms were available and we had to wait for 2 hours past check in time for a room. The desk told me they will upgrade me to an ocean front when one became available. Two days later I show up to the lobby for the room and the manager Andres decided I would have to pay more money for the room that was promised to me. Instead, he gave me a room that was upstairs with an ocean view. I have two infants under the age of two and moving a stroller up and down the stairs was more hassle than it was worth. Gracias Andres.

2. Rooms:
They are clean but not very comfortable. The pillows are like rocks and we even asked for the softer mattress cover and it did little to help. The bathroom is outdated and no shampoo is provided, just soap. Water pressure is a little weak as well.

3. Spa:
My wife ordered a spa service and it was a little disappointing. The beautician showed up a half hour late and no apology. Throughout the service, someone walked into the room to just hang out and talk. This was while my wife is half nude. Not very appropriate or professional.

Now the good.

1. The staff worked extremely hard and were very accommodating until manager Andres got involved.

2. The food is surprisingly good. The Italian restaurant is truly a gem.(The house wine is bad)

3. We traveled with infants and the pools are made great for the kids and grownups alike.

4. It's on the beach and the beach is amazing.

5. On our visit, 80% of the tenants were Mexican. We loved hanging out and meeting different families from around Mexico. Most families let us hang out as if were part of their's. They made our trip unique and fun.

Room Tip: Building 1 is the only ocean front building. Building three is the only one with an elevator. We d...
5  Thank DFuller17
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel complex is just wonderful - a proper all inclusive hotel with a variety of pools, restaurants and bar areas, and fantastic value for money. The photos etc don't do it justice and the official hotel rating is, in my opinion, too low (but makes it great value for money!!!).
The hotel rooms are very traditional, all with lovely sea views or lovely garden views, and the hotel location is superb - in a very pretty village right on the beach, and just a short taxi/bus ride from the beautiful main town of Puerto Vallarta. Get up early enough and watch the pelicans taking off from the beach each morning! Take a plane ride up into the Sierra Madre mountains and visit the traditional mexican village of San Sebastian - you won't be disappointed! I would give this review a 6-star rating if the option was there....Fantastic!

Room Tip: All rooms have great views as the gardens are beautiful. The complex is quite big so it's worth...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MrsMECA
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just got back from 2 weeks at the Royal Decameron, and agree with most of the comments regarding the incredible staff, beautifully maintained lush landscaping, immaculate rooms and ongoing painting (wow never seen such bright colours.. not faded at all!). I think I can honestly say that anything that could be accomplished by sheer human effort by the employees was outstanding. I was particularly pleased by the respect and accommodation showed to my 87 year old mother who travelled with me. The hotel has no minibars but we still managed to get a little fridge for her medicines, and oddly enough there was no table in our room, but one appeared on request so we could play our nightly Scrabble in air conditioned comfort (I don't think most octogenarians do the disco!)

What prevents me from rating the RDC above average is not what is there, but what isn't, and feel it would be misleading to imply that this was a 4* resort. Besides the already mentioned lack of fridges and tables (that one seemed REALLY odd!) there are other things missing that may or may not affect your enjoyment of your holiday... some of which can be overcome with a little foresight and others you'll just have to do without :)

If stairs are an issue for you, be sure to book a ground level room or ask for building 3, as there is only one elevator in the entire complex. We'd have never left our room if it was on the top of a 4 storey walkup! There is no wifi in the complex, and the pay as you go internet is in the non airconditioned lobby, and not near a fan either. It might have broken my net addition.. I still have time on the first access code I bought! There's wifi across the street at the bar but it's not a/c either so I didn't bother with it so can't comment there.

The locks on the rooms and the safe are old fashioned keys, which concerned me as the numbers are stamped on the room key. Of course this means you can't carry your safe key with it or you're asking for trouble. The safe is an extra charge (excessive too as it's very small and won't hold even a netbook) and be careful what you are charged. On checkin we were given a brochure that said it was 28 pesos a day but the cashier tried to charge us 39, saying they changed it months ago. I said ok then reprint your brochures because I'm only paying 28.. over 14 days that 11 pesos adds up and I'd rather give it to the accommodating staff than pay too much for an oudated safe. Our Nolitours rep sorted this out for us.. thanks Angelique!

Make sure to pack up all the amenities you stole from previous vacations.. you'll need them as there are none here besides a bar of soap. There is also a sign in the bathroom saying that the first bottle of water is complimentary but you'll have to buy the rest in the gift shop, which annoyed me to the extent that I bought it at Mega instead. Then I discovered that they really did bring more bottled water every day.. so hey guys scrape off that sign on the mirror!

While no one goes on vacation to watch TV, it was very hot and humid during our stay and it would have been great to have more channels in English to watch while cooling off in the room. There was a huge selection of channels, but nothing to watch! I would hope that the RDC would add some Canadian/US network channels to their programming package, but in the meantime if you want to do some in room relaxing with a show, download some programs to your laptop (the one that won't fit in the safe so make it an old one) and use that :)

If you're a non-drinker or trying to cut down, this is the place for you. If you enjoy anything other than tropical mixed drinks, hit the Mega or Walmart and pick up some decent liquor. I probably shouldn't complain about this because for the price we paid it wouldn't be reasonable to expect top shelf products, but GAAAAGGGH the house wine was undrinkable! I kept trying to 'get used to it' but I've had nail polish remover that smelled better and couldn't get over the solvent smell long enough to acquire a taste for it. I tried some Mexican boxed wine that was quite tolerable and brought it with me to dinner in a water bottle - problem solved - although it was somewhat confusing to the waiters who kept trying to top me up with their stuff :)

All in all I was quite pleased with the RDC despite the aforementioned grumbles. Just don't go expecting a 4* resort, or 'luxury', and you won't be disappointed. Friendly, cheerful, relaxing, hearty food.. yes... luxury and haute cuisine no :)

Oh I almost forgot... the adult pool is great for older people as it has proper stairs and a railing making it easy and safe to get in and out, and although I'm not sure if there are any actual handicapped facilities I noticed the whole complex was well outfitted with ramps, and there were several wheelchair users who seemed to have no difficulty getting around.

Room Tip: A 'good room' would depend on what you want. Mom is 87 and although she is quite energetic...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank endorable
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were there for a week and had a great time. The hotel was great. Food was very good. Enjoyed all alacarte restaurants but the Piccilo or Italian was by far the best. Service was the best. The P.V. bus excursion was not great. We opted for the $30. one without lunch. The cheapest lunch on menu was $20. American and food was not very good. We were taken to a jewelry store and saw exact same pieces much cheaper at a (not duty free) store at airport. I felt ripped off. The Rythm of the Night excursion was fabulous and more than worth it. The boat ride there was so much fun. I would definitely take this trip again.

Room Tip: I would pick a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor as the stairs in the heat are hard on an older person
5  Thank Shelley T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
#6 of 23 in Bucerias
Aventura Pacifico
Aventura Pacifico
#3 of 23 in Bucerias

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!