“Relaxing honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Missouri
“Relaxing honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2003

My husband and I went on our honeymoon here in March, 2003. We got a really great deal (7 days for $700) through FunJet Vacations. We have both been to a lot of all inclusive resorts so we also have a lot to compare it to. The food was fine on the resort and we also ate off the resort a couple of times b/c we were tired of eating on the resorts. We ate at a great restaurant in Bucerias. It was called La Dugarel and they had great seafood. We went on a few excursions-canopy tour, snorkeling and deep sea fishing. The canopy tour was a blast, but I would not recommend it for anyone who is afraid of heights. The snorkeling was not good but, the boat ride and the private beach on the trip was nice. A man in Bucerias hooked us up with a cheaper deep sea fishing trip ($135 for 2 people for 4 hours). The trip was out of Punta de Mita and we caught a Mahi Mahi on our trip. After fishing we took our fish to a local restaurant and they cooked it for us for lunch. A great experience! The rooms at the hotel were clean and we had a great ocean view room, which we requested ahead of time. We visited Puerto Vallarta several times and took the bus each time...only about 80 cents per person each way....much cheaper then a taxi. Some of the bus drivers do go a little faster then they probably should, but other then that, they were safe. We did so much during the day, that we weren't up for much of the nightlife. All in all, we had a great trip and would go back to Decameron again. You can email me with any questions.

4 Thank TravelingMO-girl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
Norwich, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2003

I was worried when I read the previous reviews on this hotel as not all of them were very complimentary..... however, after a 24 hour delay with our flight we eventually got there!The hotel was extremely well kept and looked after (I even saw an employee sweeping the floors outside the hotel at 1am!!!)The gardens are beautiful and the pools were very clean. (We found the adult pool the best as it was more relaxing)The food was very repetitive in the buffet restaurants and can really get on your nerves... we both got sick, but I'm not sure whether anybody else did, so not sure whether that was due to the food in the hotel or not!The bars were okay (although the barmen prefer to serve Mexicans in a friendly manner, even though I'm fluent in spanish!)The theatre was great, the staff worked really hard and the music was great, however the disco was not so great as the music in there was awful - even though it was the same DJ in the theatre!There was a fantastic restaurant on the way to Bucserias called Marks, it was FANTASTIC, so I would heartily recommend going there during your stay!All in all, the hotel was really nice, the rooms were cleaned daily (and very well), the reception team were very efficient in solving the few problems that we had.The only peice of serious advice I would give you is DO NOT GO TO SEE THE DOCTOR.... he charges $50 for a consultation, before he charges an extra $30 for tablets etc.... my husband went there about his knee that he injured in the ocean, and he mentioned that I had been having serious stomach cramps, and the "DOCTOR" told him to bring me down so he can give me an injection!!! He hadn't even examined me so how could he even diagnose me let along give me medication!!! WHAT A COWBOY!But apart from that we had a great time!
- Just remember, only go to see the doctor if you're about to die, or something like that!

3 Thank IFA1979
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2003

Just returned from a 2 week stay, and wot a fantasic time we had at this hotel, the room was really cool, and the food was out of this world i have never eaten so food much in my life, and the drinks at the bars was so free flowing. All the staff go out of there way to make sure your having a good time, and boy we did !!The entertainment staff did a fantasic job during the day, and a even better job when they do the show at night, I have never had so much fun in my life, they even got me up on stage 1 of the nights :o)This is such a good hotel, and would recomend this resort everyday of the week, and if you go and dont have a good time there, then theres something wrong with you and your better off going on a coaching holiday with the oap's... LOL

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2003

My spouse and I went to this resort for a week around the end of August. I would not recommend this resort to anyone who does not have children or seeks to escape from their children for a week or two. The entire resort was inundated with mexican families, each with at least three children each. The adult pool area was closed so there was no area that was adults only. The food was ok. We never got sick and there was some things that were tasty. However, the cutbacks were obvious.
Variety was very limited. There was one "made to order" grilling station with food that tasted like the buffet food. There was no bacon generally available for breakfast. When there was bacon (three mornings) it was guarded and passed out sparingly by the omlette cook.
The staff was reasonably efficient and friendly. There was very limited water sports equipment available. The Jacuzzi pools were turned off and used as wading pools for the mexican children (is it just me, or are they inherently noisier than north american kids?). Our room had excellent air conditioning, but we spoke with people who were not that lucky. The room was also clean and quiet. The drinks included were domestic brands only, but the bartenders can pretty much mix you up what you want. The tequila on tap is gold, very smooth, and seems to make the deficiencies of the resort easier to take. The resorts location is peaceful and secluded, and the waves are fun to body surf.
You could usually find a quiet place on the beach to unwind. We have travelled quite a lot, and don't expect North American standards when we travel south. However, this resort is definitely NOT a four star as advertised. It was maybe a 3 star. If you need to get away and must choose this resort for whatever reason, do not pay more than $600.00-$700.00 and have very conservative expectations.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2003

Putting things in perspective is very important...my wife and i got a great discount price to travel here.. This hotel had a wide variety of choices for food..if you don't like the standard of eggs, chicken, rice, italian, papaneese etc...then in my eyes..your a very selective eater..the food was not incredible, but very satisfying...the pools were clean, the rooms were clean and staff were very friendly and spoke english better then many resorts where we have travelled...The shows were fun filled with audience participation and theme dances ...which should help satisfy all vacationers..the only true complaint that we had, was that the rooms have no mini fridges...so if you are in block 5 and on the fourth floor, and you would like a cold drink in the evening, then you are in for a very...very...long walk..overll, the vacation for excellent for the price..

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2003

My whole family and I went there for 4 days and we had the time of our lives! They had the best service, the rooms were clean, the food was excellent, the people work incessantly to keep everything perfect. My brother-in-law got married in a church nearby and they help us out to arrange for just about everything. In just a few days we rediscovered what Mexico was all about. I'm proud of my people and I hope anybody that reads this message would give this place a fair chance. We can't wait to go back there! It was really beyond any expectations. Do you want to take the whole family and relax and forget about stress? Royal Decameron is THE place!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2003

This was one of the best hotels i ever stayed at! The scenery was absolutely georgous! There was so much beautiful tropical vegetation.
The workers were very friendly, not one of them was ever rude. The drinks were great, they had 6 bars and 6 pools that were very nice. The food was really good too. There was a huge variety of food to eat also.
The rooms were clean, and the air conditioning worked well. The entertainment was very entertaining too. There was always something new to do. contests, painting, etc. At night time the disco was very fun.
Im sure you will love this hotel!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,696 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!