“Good Atmosphere.”
Review of Joxer Daly's Steak & Ale House - CLOSED

Joxer Daly's Steak & Ale House
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stopped here on a whim while visiting. Glad we did.

Enjoyed the food, it's pub food you cant expect a 5 star gourmet meal, my partner and i both got id'd and had to confirm details which is refreshing. So i'm assuming it's an R18 place. I ordered the light meal fish and chips and my partner the steak.

The fish and chips were huge for a light meal! And the steak was cooked as asked. The atmosphere was best, good classic music and not to busy, mainly older people were there when we were. Their is also an outside courtyard for smokers.

Only downside is shared bathrooms. Unless i missed them the mens are the same as the womens.

1  Thank kate_adams_1993

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went here recently with friends and I don't quite understand the rave reviews. It wasn't terrible, but average covers it I think. Service was a bit slow, my main course was not quite as described and I didn't think the serving sizes over large - I didn't think it was value for money. It doesn't to me, have a particularly Irish feel.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were swayed to try this restaurant based on a the local motelier's recommendation. We were disappointed. Stepping into the restaurant, a stale fatty smell assaulted us. We considered walking out, but a recommendation is usually one to follow. The service was efficient, but lacked the usual pleasantries (it was not busy on the Saturday night). The food was mediocre. We usually love pub food. My daughter requested a Fanta (which wasn't available) and was offered something just like it: Kerri orange with Sprite. she hated it. Portions were smallish for the prices (late 20s - early 30 dollars). Definitely regretted not trying out the Thai place that everyone else suggested.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been to this restaurant a couple of times with friends and have found it to be really good. Food is good, staff very good and friendly. We will certainly be going there again next time we are in Masterton.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We eat here quite often - well say once a month or so. Nice Irish look inside and small and cosy. The staff are always very pleasant the the owner/manager a hard case and very quick with the quips!
The menu is extensive - hard to know what to choose, and it also includes stone grilled choices.
We love the 'fish of the day' meal - I always ask for 'battered' fish though it is available crumbed. There are two sizes to choose from depending on how hungry you are!
It arrives in an extremely generous amount with a great tossed salad and dressing, a good 'pile' of chips and beautiful fresh fish which literally melts in your mouth coated with a lovely golden batter- yum!
The Weiner Schnitzel is another simple but generous and tasty meal as is the Roast of the Day.
There are various desserts available but they seem rather expensive for what they are so we have not tried any of these.
Overall though - a very pleasant and tasty 'pub meal' always consistently good and definitely worth a visit!