“More than adequate”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Masterton
Port Lincoln, Australia
“More than adequate”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed only one night as part of our NZ coach tour. As there were 3 of us (me+wife+daughter), we were allocated a two bedroom suite which was very spacious and well-furnished. Road noise was non-existent as this suite faced out from the rear of the hotel complex onto park-lands.

I can't comment on food as I was unwell due to some gastro virus going through the tour group, but I can certainly vouch for the comfort of the bed! Onsuite bathroom facilites were very clean and recently installed.

My only quibble would be that this suite was quite distant from the reception/bar/dining room facilities but at least the long walk was via carpeted corridors rather than outside.

I rate this as one of the top two hotels chosen by our two company for the trip, pipped only by a rival chain's hotel in Blenheim.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
JerryCrump, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Solway Park, Wairarapa, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you for your review. We were pleased to be able to accommodate you and your family in a Junior Suite (they are one of our most popular room types) and sorry to hear you weren't able to experience our restaurant, The Grill at Solway Park, which is a highlight of any stay at the hotel.

I trust you had a wonderful trip around New Zealand - glad to hear Copthorne Malborough was also a memorable stay for you as it too is a great property.

Many thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Thai first
New Zealand
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Apart from having two queen sized beds in one room, a great place for the kids to stay. Good playground, swiming pool etc. Clean & quiet.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thanks CJLNZ, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. Yes, we are a great spot for families and once our latest refurbishments open in December, familes will enjoy the resort even more.

It sounds like you stayed in one of our Standard Rooms, which do indeed have a 'Queen/Queen' configuration. Although these are popular with familes, we also have two bedroom Junior Suites and self catered Apartments, which are ideal for travelling with children, so perhaps next time you are in the Wairarapa, let our team know if you'd like to try one of those.

Great to receive your feedback.
portland, or
Reviewed September 19, 2011

They had supposedly made very expensive recent improvements to the hotel. It was hard to perceive most of them. This is an old facility that is at least clean. It's really hard to think of any reason to stay here other than desperation. The staff was not helpful, unique in New Zealand from our experience in this wonderful country. Actually, they were borderline rude. The restaurant fits in nicely with our perception of the hotel. The cost is so out of line with the rest of the hotels we stayed at it's hard to imagine how they stay in business.

Room Tip: I doubt there's a really good room here, but since it is on the highway, try to get more in the...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
JerryCrump, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Solway Park, Wairarapa, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor.
I’m very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us.
You are correct that nearly NZ$8 million has been spent on the Resort in the past 5 years and most of our guests seem able to recognize that and generally give us highly favourable feedback on the upgraded rooms and guest facilities.
Likewise – at least judging by most of the feedback we receive - the majority of our guests seem to enjoy the friendly but efficient service we aim for.
Clearly, on this occasion, you felt that you were not treated well and I can only apologise wholeheartedly for that.
We know that there is also more refurbishment work to be done - which is currently at the planning stage - but we doubt whether we would retain our Qualmark ‘Four Star Plus’ rating and Enviro Gold standard if we were quite as poor as you suggest.
The closest guest rooms to the highway are a good 400 metres away, and no-one has ever complained about road noise before – are you sure you actually stayed at this hotel?
Nevertheless, I would like to invite you back to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Solway Park Wairarapa on your next visit to the region - and show you that we can offer far better hospitality than your previous experience.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I reserved the "Moments to Treasure" package at the Copthorne Hotel and Resort Solway Park. This package was supposed to include a "2 for 1 Dinner" special. However, the hotel staff would not honor this portion of the package, which tainted my entire stay.

Furthermore, the spa is barely large enough for two people, and the gym and indoor pool are both quite tiny.

Finally, it seems that about half of the rooms (the ones with "bad" views) have parking, and the other half have to park close to reception.

Had deceptive advertising not been employed get us here, I might have rated this place better. However, when a place outright lies to me in order to get my business, as this establishment did, I cannot be happy about it. Thus, I would advise staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We just did a family road trip and stayed an extra night in Masterton because we enjoyed Solway Park so much. We got two adjoining rooms and the kids loved the swimming pool and spa, as well as the playground and confidence course. The complex is great for a family with lots to do and the rooms are well presented and clean.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hamishbwk
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Only stayed 1 night as part of our NZ tour. Room was well equiped- loveley clean spotless bathroom, large fluffy towels - No bath/shower gel, but soon retified by reception staff. All rooms on ground floor with small outside sitting area, very well kept large grounds. Staff helpful and polite. Didn't have time to use leisure facilities, pool looked inviting.
Had breakfast and evening meal - nothing exceptional - Both adequate. 2 computers in lobby- free!
Would recommend

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I tried to make a phone booking but found the receptionist very hard to understand so I went there personally. While taking my booking she took a phone call from a guest who was obviously complaining about internet. After the phone call she made a disparaging comment to me about that persons nationality - not ok.

I could have lived with that but found my room had holes in the wall where plaster had fallen off. The toilet roll holder came apart on the first use. The room service menu was not up to date and I spent a good 10 minutes on the phone conversing with the restaurant about what was actually available (they were good) and found the prices had also changed.

The alarm clock radio made weird noises all night - I think that it didn't like the tv remote being on the bedside table as well!

In the morning with the sun shining on the windows it was obvious that they had either not been cleaned for years or whoever had cleaned them had used very dirty water - you couldn't see thru them.

Urgh - if this is any indication of how the hotel is run I am glad I only stayed one night. I was unsurprised when checking out that I wasn't asked how my night was or any other common courtesy. Probably because they know that their service standards are crap.

My travel plans have changed, I now need to stay at least 1 night per week in Masterton - oh well guess who wont be getting my business.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masterton
The Martinborough Hotel
South Park Motel
South Park Motel
#2 of 11 in Masterton
GateWay Motor Inn Boutique Hotel

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Solway Park, Wairarapa? Share your experiences!