“Evocative of times past”

ASURE Masterton Motor Lodge
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Masterton
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was a great place to stay on our tour of North Island.

Check-in was speedy and very pleasant and we were given fresh milk so we could make our own coffee and tea in the room.

The room was large and well-equipped, with doors that opened out onto the garden area at the rear.

The lodge reminded us very much of the motels we'd seen in 60's movies and, though the decor was reminiscent of the 60's and 70's, the room and bathroom was very clean and very comfortable.

The lodge is located some way out of Masterton so for an evening meal I nipped along the road a few hundred yards an bought fish and chips which I brought back to the room. Delicious!

If I was in the area again I'd definitely look to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
MastertonMotorlodge, Owner at ASURE Masterton Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Many thanks for your wonderful review. We're glad your experience was a pleasant one - they do make awesome fish & chips don't they!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed in Masterton more or less by accident (we needed somewhere to break up a long drive from Napier to Wellington) and the Motor Lodge was a great place to rest and relax. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean, quiet and very comfortable. Masterton itself wasn't particularly worth a visit (we arrived on a Saturday afternoon and most things seemed to be closed, so I'm prepared to accept that it may be fantastic at other times!), but if you find yourself staying in the area, the Motor Lodge offers very good quality accommodation.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DueCare

Masterton has probably been known more as a place to stop on the way through to somewhere rather than as the destination. But the region is fast growing and expanding with more interesting places to visit and experience which will turn that view point around and Masterton will become somewhere to come and stay for your holiday.
We look forward to hosting your next trip.
Ian & Danielle

Reviewed April 15, 2012

we stayed here after escaping from Southpark Motel (see my reviews for details on that place!!)down the road. Masterton Motor Lodge was warm, and welcomming. Lovely clean rooms (and I am a fussy at the best of times).....
The restaurant thought busy was fantastic.
We will definately return.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back if you want utter peace and quiet - so relaxing and very spacious.
2  Thank JohnandFee
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We were in Unit 19 right at the back so it was very quiet. This was a one bedroom unit with kitchen facilities. The unit is very pleasant although the window sills need major work as they are very water stained. We didn't like the shampoo/conditioner products as although they were natural they didn't seem to lather up well at all.

The restaurant has an in-room service which offers two courses for around $24 I think. This was a great service and would recommend this as good value for money.

Reception staff were pleasant and helpful.

Location is as you come into Masterton heading North so you have to drive to the city centre but Masterton is a typical small town so it is not an issue that you are not in the centre of town.

2  Thank TravellingKiwi
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Spacious one bedroom suite with nice outlook and facilities. We could have quite happily stayed longer than our single night had we had the time. Very quiet location. This was our second visit and we will return.

1  Thank GandLTilbrook
Reviewed February 1, 2012

On my return from a motorcycle trip to the South Island I stayed at the Masterton Motor Lodge in Masterton. Because they were down to one room I was offered a two bedroom unit for the price of a single. I happily took advantage of the offer to receive Room 20 at the back of the complex. The furnishings are a little dated but in very good condition. The two bedroom unit was well laid out with a flat screen TV, very nice fully equipped kitchen and a very comfortable lounge. I was able to park my Harley on the grass in front of my room which was very nice. The only problem was that the internet (which you must pay extra for) did not work in the room that I was in. This is a big deal for me because I like to use Skype to contact my children in Canada while I am on the road. I also like to check the weather and keep up with the news on the internet. I was not charged for the internet and I was assured that it was a temporary problem associated only with the back units.

I also took advantage of the attached restaurant at the back of the complex. The restaurant was small but the service was excellent, prices reasonable and my meal (braised pork belly) was excellent and obviously cook by a chef who took pride in what he served.

I would definitely return on a future trip.

Room Tip: Check whether internet is working if that is important to you.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank maac05
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My family and I just got home from a well needed vacation at the Masterton Motor Lodge. The new owners have definately turned it around! I had stayed there previously when it was all a tad dated and unkept. I spoke to the managers about how amazing the grounds look now. The reception area has been upgraded, as well as the rooms. The grounds are looking trimmed and sculpted. The cleanliness has dramatically been increased, our room was spotless. The Lodge Restaurant, was full and we didn't have to wait any longer than 15minutes for our meals!! Impressive or what! Compared to other motels in Masterton, the Masterton Motor Lodge, has character and a friendly face to greet you on arrivial. They provide excellent service and would go to extreme lengths for any guest. I would definately recommend this motel, and can't wait to stay again!!

Room Tip: For a family of 4 i suggest a Two Bedroom Unit. They are spacious and close to the childrens play ar...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family