“A Magnificent Nature Reserve”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Western Highlands
Los Tarrales Reserve
“A Magnificent Nature Reserve”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

If you are looking for a great place to see some of the most beautiful and colorful birds in the world then look no further. The accommodations range from good to excellent and come with meals included. All the working staff make you feel at home with their friendliness and service. Our birding guide, Josua, was exceptional. He's a trained guide born and raised in the area and knows everything there is to know about the reserve and the wildlife. Part of the reserve is also a working community that grows coffee and various plants and flowers, all of which are exported throughout the world. They are very ecologically minded which is evident throughout the reserve. This is one of my favorite places in Guatemala.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Panajachel, Guatemala
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I recently spent a couple of nights at Los Tarrales Reserve near Lake Atitlán. The lodge is located in a 2800 acre coffee finca, 80% of which is a nature reserve. I found the finca experience to be the best part of the visit. My room was in the old casona (they also have “tree houses” waaay back in the forest) and was quite comfortable. There is a huge waterwheel that seems to run everything in the coffee beneficio as well as generates electricity for the finca. They have tours of the finca operations and coffee production facilities and are a world-famous birding destination.
If you are looking for a few days hiking in the forest with a top bird guide and seeing what life is like on a coffee finca this would be a good choice. The lodging is comfortable, the home cooked meals are great and the guides are among the best I have been with in Central America.
Most of my time was spent bird watching and touring the finca's coffee and ornamental plant operations. My guide Josué took me all over the back side of the Atitlán volcano on foot and by jeep. Unfortunately, I did not see a horned guan or quetzal on this visit but I'll just have to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Groucho123

Been to Los Tarrales Reserve? Share your experiences!