“This is a good, well-located hotel for skiing families.”

Hotel Planibel - TH Resorts
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in La Thuile
Clydebank, United Kingdom
“This is a good, well-located hotel for skiing families.”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

The reception was first class; the staff were welcoming, helpful and had very good English.
The room was basic. It had a comfortable bed; it was warm and scrupulously clean; the bathroom was good and there was plenty of hot water for showers and après ski soaking in the bath. The toiletries were fine.
Breakfasts were generally good, although if you arrived late the scrambled egg would be finished.
Dinner was disappointing. Frequently the food was not hot enough. The starters and desserts were good. The waiters were very good. We enjoyed one dinner in La Raclette and paid extra for it.
The cost of drinks in the bar was good and again the service was first class.
The location of the hotel is ideal for skiers.
Like many others we found the lifts to be very slow, especially the one to the ski room.
We did not use the spa or gym which was included in the price.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Firstly the apartments are more 3 star than 4 star as stated in a lot of brochures. That said, they are clean, reasonably spacious for ski appartements and a very short walk to the slopes. There is was no kettle or toaster which was a shame, but they are reasonably well equipped for breakfasts. We actually ate out in restaurants every evening as it was pretty cheap for a ski resort (recommend the Grotto for Pizzas!) but you could easily cook dinner.

We had apartments with 2 bedrooms and 2 sofa beds, which have a bathroom and a shower room which was good. Towels were included and changed once during the week. Didn't use the leisure centre as there is a charge for apartment guests.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank penguin_0
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in a 2 bed apartment, I had seen some reviews prior so was not expecting the ritz. The apartment we got was fine just a bit old fashioned and tired. It was clean which is my main priority. Now the main problem are my injuries following my bath. The bath has a step in it that you sit on so you had to slide down to wet your hair. When I got out and dried the backs of my legs and elbows were really sore and stinging. The reason being the surface of the bath was like a pumice stone and it had scuffed all the skin on my backside, legs and elbows. The bath was so old it had had its surface scoured off over the years. So if you stay in room 2546 don't have a bath! Somebody with small kids or a baby in that bath would off ended up with a very unhappy child. So planibel read this and change that bath. This is really my only complaint really as in a real good spot for the slopes. This resort has great skiing with no queues. Get your hotel updated and throw out the 80s furniture.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank archiebald_11
Edinburgh
Reviewed January 2, 2013

On the plus side, it is an outstanding location at the bottom of the telecabin and gives you access to the fabulous La Thuile ski area with it's wonderful (and pretty empty pistes) without queues and top notch and characterful mountain restaurants. Also, the lovely village is a very short walk away.

But, Planibel is a vast and confusing resort with sits squarely in the 'very average' camp. It's fine but lacking in any real character, not helped by it's vast size. It is also very easy to get lost and has no plan or sense to its layout. Suffice to say this is the only reception I have ever been to, when the answer from the receptionist to the most simple question - where is my room? - was "I don't know"!!!

But it's fine and pretty good value out of peak season I suspect and better for families than couples.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank APEdinburgh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The only think I could think about during the trip from the hectic lobby to my family's dingy room (which was about a 10 minute walk from the check-in point through the strangest hotel-resort combo I have every visited) was...brown. Brown seems to be the décor color choice for the Planibel, and the tone speaks volumes about the quality of my stay. The rooms are yucky, the resort is horrifically laid out, the parking garage is heinous, the walls are thin and amplify ambient sound, and my mattress and pillow reminded me of cereal boxes flattened out for the recycling. The brown blankets and paisley coverlet seem so inadequate next to the view of icy, snow-covered peaks outside. To top it all off, when I was to uncomfortable to fall asleep I found myself staring at a brochure titled "The Art of Italian Hospitality." Yikes.

Had this place been advertised correctly, I wouldn't have been so disappointed to find dead flies under the windows or a stray hair in the bidet (eew). We weren't skiing in the area so the great location wasn't as much of a benefit, though unfortunately I can't see how being able to ski in and out of this place would improve its standing.

Were it cheaper, rated at a more accurate two stars as opposed to a mystifying four, and not quite as brown, this could have been a better trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SophieC_13

Travelers are raving about these La Thuile hotels

Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked this at the very last minute so our expectations weren't too high but any shred of hope was dashed in the dreary brown light of the lobby where the person in line ahead of us was almost in tears as he begged for extra blankets, noting the chilly accommodations, the dingy decor, the noise and the lack of maid service.

This place might be ok if it were dirt cheap, but it wasn't. In addition to everything listed above I wish I'd known that in fact the Hotel Planibel in La Thuile is a sort of Soviet style "resort village" comprised of an immense number of apartments and rooms all in different buildings. The complex includes shops and a supermarket. It seems to be very popular with families and is indeed within feet of the ski lift, but even if you are determined to vacation amidst this kind of you could certainly do better somewhere else - maybe sleeping in a hostel or your car for example.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sarah p
Newcastle
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Although I stayed in the apartments of the hotel and although I only review the hotel as being average it is unquestionably skiing on your doorstep.
As with quite a few other trip advisors my reason for only rating the hotel as average is only due to the fact that it is 30 years old and could do with a facelift.
I booked into a studio and when we got there we we put into a one bedroom apartment which was excellent as far as facilities and overall space goes, we had two bathrooms, one fitted with a shower and the other with a bath, now how convenient is that? The kitchen although small was more than adequate and the living area was spacious.
The cleaning staff came round twice in the week for a complete makeover - bed linen, towels freshly made bed and gave us extra if we simply asked them, they were friendly and polite.
In the hotel the receptionists were very friendly and only too willing to help.
As I said, the lifts were within 100 metres of our apartment.

Room Tip: I cannot comment on the studios but as far as the one bedroom apartments go - excellent.