“Shocked!!”

Waterways Cafe & Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My dining experience plummeted from hero to zero after the consistently wonderful meals & service I was accustomed to. Yesterday I was offered a revised menu without my favorites. I was served an insipid “long black” drowned to the brim, my corn fritter order seemingly “thrown at the plate” with a stack of greasy chewy bacon, three stale doughy fritters and a fried half tomato (photo posted). A young boy in the only other group dining there was distraught that the lady's hand had gone in his glass. Alas, nothing like the lovely experiences of recent times, so putting my credibility on the line. With usual staff absent I inquired of the situation to find that the owners were working hands on yesterday. The apology was pleasant so may they step back for a critical look & recover the magic from this disaster in order to succeed. I'll review Waterways again next month and please remember it's a great dining location tucked away on the tranquil waters edge so beautifully reminiscent of an Italian coastal hideaway.

1  Thank seadog591
There are newer reviews for Waterways Cafe & Bar

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

This cafe tucked away in a serene setting on the waters edge was recently upgraded into a pleasant place to visit. I found the menu to offer several options at reasonable prices. The young waitress was most obliging. Freshly cooked dishes including fresh salad arrived promptly. I expect this hideaway gem should become very popular when experienced by more canny diners.

1  Thank seadog591
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Wanted to rate this higher but I honestly couldn't give it a "Very Good" as the service is just odd. The food is good and for that I would go back, however the service is very strange...drinks orders seem difficult and if I'm honest I think some customer training wouldn't go amiss. Still they're friendly enough, just don't really seem to know what they're doing all of the time. Strangely, its also difficult to know exactly when the restaurant is open. We've been a couple of times, and despite the sandwich board outside saying they're open, they've actually been closed. All in all, a little too much like hard work...

1  Thank 777pj777
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We have been coming to this place for years under various different names and owners. Whilst the current owners have changed the decor for the better, the quality of the food produced is poor and the service is appalling. The service staff have clearly had no training and can't produce the simplest of drinks eg. a lime and soda.
The food is expensive for what it is. Small portions and overcooked vegetables are the order of the day. The cheesecakes in the chiller with their luminous toppings resemble 'plastic' food.

The only reason we continue to frequent this bar is because of the quiz that is held there every Wednesday evening.

We would love this cafe to be a place we could go to more often but given the present lack of interest shown by the owners, I can't see that it will ever improve.

1  Thank MrsACN
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Save your money and your stress levels. We were here on quiet day and the staff were utterly hopeless, they got our order wrong, the coffee was horrible and the food was over priced and lacklustre.

2  Thank ScottyNZ