“Good location”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Turangi
Dorset
“Good location”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The rooms could do with a refurbish as they are dated and the mattresses 'tired'. However the patrons were very friendly. We ate there one night and found the meal 'average' The staff were very busy and has no time to even ask if our meal was ok and did we need anything. They plonked our meals down and we did not see them again. Perhaps that is how the local population like it. Interestingly I booked the first night over the internet and when we said we'd stay another night we got charged $10 more for the 2nd night. Odd business idea given that they didn't have to wash the sheets etc for the 2nd night. Moral of the story, always book by internet, not word of mouth.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ohope, New Zealand
Reviewed November 8, 2012

On the 8 th November 2012 we decided to go to The Bridge for a quite night to celebrate our 43rd Aniiversary.
We were met by a lovely lady who showed us to our seat and then chatted to us about some of the history in the area, the atmoshpere was very warming and we had a choice of where we wanted to sit. We were shown the menue and it was a wonderful selection to chose from, I selected absolutely delicious chicken livers for en entree and my wife selected garlic bread which was also a very generous and well presented proportion.
We both decided on the special of the day which was a delicious Orange Roughy dish , beautifully presented and the service was superb, the wine prices were very reasonable and with a good selection .
We would absolutley recommend this wonderful restaurant to any one who enjoys fine dining at a reasonable price.
Well done Bridge fishing Lodge , we will be back .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 12,002 helpful votes
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We didn't stay at this lodge but did have a dinner at the Bridge Restaurant during a recent visit to Turangi and thought it was ok, nothing particularly special but good enough food – probably a bit overpriced for what we were served. As there are not a ton of dining options in Turangi, if you want a nice atmosphere, this seems to be a good option.

We ordered 1.) the Fish and Chips (NZ$19.50), which was a decent orange roughy fillet and a large order of thick cut chips. Enjoyed this meal - it was a standard fish-and-chips restaurant meal (rating 3 of 5).

For our second, we tried the 2.) Grilled Red Snapper (NZ$31), fish came out oddly, seemed to have been steamed or baked, not grilled but oh well! It tasted ok. Potatoes that came with the dish were also on the average side of things. Overall, this was also a brilliantly prepared or cooked dish, just on the average side of things, making it seem quite pricey for what was served (rating 2.75 of 5).

Overall, we were pleased with the atmosphere of the Bridge Restaurant, finding it welcoming and relaxing. However, the food was not spectacular and felt expensive for what was served on the night of our visit. But this wasn't a bad place, particularly in a small community a bit short on dining options. If in Turangi, you might want to consider a meal here.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BradJill
Auckland
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This was a stop over going from the Cooromandel to Wellington. We would really recommend the rib eye steak. The room was comfortable, but average facilities, and rather noisy from the traffic crossing over the bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the road as possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My most recent stay was I think my 4th stay at Bridge over 4 decades. Not a lot has changed in the decor and fittings. The Media Services (TV, Video, Internet) are still in the 80's. But a stay the Bridge had always centered itself around the Bar and Restaurant as the Hub area and the services there, which remains still top class and at least Sky and Wifi are available there. There only still the Spas and Sauna's in terms on Resort Facilities. They allow dogs which was the pull for us this time but very good facilities for walking.

An overall upgrade is probably overdue for the place. But I still would probably rate it highly and the rates are very attractive and excellent value. Given it's proximity to Taupo and the Mountain still makes a great place to stay. Don't be put off by it proximity to the highway still relaxing nights sleep.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I are staying at Bridge Fishing Lodge. The room is darling. There is a stocked kitchen and bathroom and the room has lovely decorations. The carpeting seemed brand new.
We ate dinner at the restaurant. The stacked vegetarian dinner was delicious. My husband had the salmon which he thought was some of the best he has had. We sat on the deck and had local wine before dinner.
My husband fished and the owners Lyn and Kent invited me to have coffee with them as I used the wireless at the main lodge. I hope to be able to return someday!

• Stayed December 2011
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Firstly, I'm not a complainer. It has taken months for me to write this review as I am torn about having to be negative.

We booked this lodge as a base for a snowboarding holiday. We checked in on a Monday evening after a day on the mountain. The room seemed ok and the man who checked us in was friendly enough. We stayed in room 1 closest to the office area.

On the Wednesday I developed welts on my body. By the Thursday I had over 20 welts from what I believe to be bedbugs. The welts were in lines and groups of 3 all around my torso. My partner was not bitten or did not react, this is not unusual according to bedbug research. there was crunching under the carpet between the bed and the kitchen which could indicate dead shells, and the mattress was covered in black spots. I could not see behind the headboard. I wanted to go home but did not want to take the bed bugs with us so we stayed Thursday night, got up on Friday morning and drove to Taupo and purchased bed bug spray and returned to the lodge where we sprayed everything and checked our belongings carefully before packing the car.

The welts were incredibly painful and I was close to tears a number of times. I felt dirty and did not want to discuss the issue when my partner checked us out on the Saturday morning.

Upon arriving home we unpacked the car straight into the laundry and every item we had went through a hot wash or was out in the deep freeze for a month.
We threw away a suitcase, a snowboarding helmet, a pair of shoes and my favorite ug boots as they had been on the floor in the room for a number of nights and posed a threat to or home if they had bugs in then.

The next day I phoned the lodge and told then that I believed I had been bitten by bedbugs. The man told me he would look into it.

A week passed and the welts were finally starting to ease in their intensity. I spent 200 dollars on a mattress protector in case we had brought the bugs home. I did not hear back from the lodge. So I sent then an email. The reply I received was, in my opinion, not adequate.

I was told the manager who I spoke to had left the lodge the following day and had not passed the message on. This seemed very strange, as I believed he lived on site.

The lodge informed me that they had contacted a man who stays in that room regularly and he had not been bitten so therefore there is no problem and they offered me a 20% discount on my next stay! They could not pay me to go back there.

I think they should have called a pest control officer to investigate my claim. They could've at least looked at the black spots on the mattress and investigated the strange crunching under the carpet.

This incident cost my partner and I a huge amount of time and energy. I estimate the replaced goods and mattress cover to have cost over $700. My biggest concern is the nonchalant way in which our complaint was dealt with.

I have written this review to hopefully save someone else from having to go through this psychological and financial trauma.

• Stayed July 2011
6 Thank SilentS_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turangi
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
Asure Parklands Motor Lodge
Creel Lodge Motel
Creel Lodge Motel
#1 of 9 in Turangi

Been to Turangi Bridge Motel? Share your experiences!