“Ultimately friendly magnificent enjoyable experience.....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Plus Backpackers Lodge

A Plus Backpackers Lodge
“Ultimately friendly magnificent enjoyable experience.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Hi, I came to Turangi to escape the Hustle n Bustle n stress of Auckland. Not knowing where I was staying and had never been hea B4...Fortunately all the places in town wer bookd out and this was my last choice left and I believe it was meant to be. Ian, Chloe and Andrew are such beautiful souls with a great since of humour n make u fe so at home. I came with a heavy load on my mind and sholders but am leaving after 3 blissful days clear headed, energised with a big smile. Im bringing my kids back in a few weeks to experience wat I have. Thank u Ian, Cloe and Andrew. Tyrina Woods ,B

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank strengthofawoman

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

All of the hosts (Ian, Chloe and Andrew) are so welcoming and friendly! They have lots of great advice on how to get the most out of your visit to Tongariro Alpine Crossing and when you come back from the walk, they genuinely want to know about your experience. On my second day, Chole invited a bunch guests to join her in a visit to nearby Awhi farm which is a teaching farm about permaculture/sustainable agriculture--a very interesting and fun couple of hours. They also have a hot tub, trampoline and a horse...plus lots of games.

I've stayed in lots of backpackers while in New Zealand and the vibe here is fantastic...it is so warm and welcoming that you get to know lots of other travelers...perfect for the solo traveler!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Corinne A
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed 2 nights while doing the Tongariro crossing. We chose the place because of the location and cost, normally backpackers hostel is not preffered type of accommodation for us, but there was not much choice in Turangi. So it would not be fair to complain about it. The place is laid back hostel with good atmosphere, spacious kitchen and all necessary amenities. The rooms and corridors are originally decorated, the room itself wes pretty small and could do with some proper cleaning, but for backpacker hostel you cannot be too demanding. Overall, the place is good backpacker hostel and so do not expect much more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

A 'home from home' to be exact. I did not expect too much for the price I paid and really I did not expect the good value for money I got in return.
The manager/owner Ian, picked me up from the wee town centre (though it wasn't too far to walk) and chatted away... friendly folks indeed.
I had my own private room and the whole property was Colourfully decorated, having quite a Global feel to it... which I Liked alot too.
Ian was very Welcoming, interesting to talk to and nothing was too much trouble (he didn't make a big deal out of anything).
I was going for something to eat one evening and next thing he unexpectedly cooked up a scrumptious big bowl of beef stew for me... great !
The Living room area was comfortable, Warm and receptive... I Liked the big Log fire in the Corner and Free wi-fi which gave no connection trouble whatsoever : )
I suppose I was a kinda stuck for transport up to Taupo and Ian kindly offered to drive me there upon my departure...
Another unexpected gesture came in the form of the manager taking me off with two other tourists to see the mountain top and learn a bit about it and the surrounding areas...
My accommodation was quite different in ways as I normally stay in an hotel, however I felt comfortable at the A Plus B'packers and it was super value too. Thanks for that.

Ritchey ( FaceBook, Richie Denver, Tyrone, California )

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ritchey
Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and felt very relaxed in this characterful place. There's a warm and open atmosphere in the communal areas and the host gave us a nice welcome and a very reasonable rate that we didn't even ask for. The host, Ian is always on hand, often communicating where backpackers can help each other out (e.g. he instigated a group outing between us and some other backpackers to use car share and relay to get to and from the T crossing - saving us all $40 each in shuttle costs). A fun place, we'd come here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

The host here was great! The place was extremely laid back and everyone was very friendly. It felt like a cross between a camp and staying at someone's house. We loved it.

Ps. Plug-ins are sometimes hidden behind the beds.

• Stayed March 2012
Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

Basic accommodation at a good price. The host greeted us at our car and welcomed us. He showed us to our room and said come to reception to check in when you're ready. Nice and relaxed.

Rooms are basic as you'd expect, facilities were functional and clean.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turangi
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
Asure Parklands Motor Lodge
Judges Pool Motel
Judges Pool Motel
#6 of 9 in Turangi

Been to A Plus Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!