Tongariro River Rafting
2-hour Tongariro River Family Rafting Excursion in Turangi
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Turangi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tongariro River Rafting is the most experienced outdoor adventure company on the Tongariro River. We create journeys, share stories and bring people closer to nature through biking, fishing and rafting. We celebrate 25 years as a family owned and operated business in 2015. We're passionate about showing off our amazing region to visitors and are dedicated to preserving the natural environment of the Tongariro River for future generations – so much so, we founded the Blue Duck Project – with the goal of returning the rare native Blue Duck to its traditional habitat along the Tongariro River. Our adventures include Grade 3 white water rafting trips, family floats for the younger rafters or first timers, mountain biking and fishing. On your Grade 3 white water rafting trip, you will have an unforgettable 2.5 hours navigating over 60 heart-pounding rapids with an expert guide at the helm. All of our guides are highly trained professionals and our equipment is top quality. You'll even enjoy a deli style lunch after your trip (hot soup in winter). Prepare yourself for one of the most stunning white water rafting adventures in New Zealand – we know this river like the back of our paddle! “Oar-some!!”
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We did this with a couple of friends after jet boat ride. Brilliant time. Our guide Ryan (the ginger) was excellent. Knows the river very well with great commentary on the trip. It is a beautiful river and this rafting trip is the only way to see it. I would highly recommend this and will definitely do it again. Thanks to all the team there for a fantastic time.

Garth O, Owner at Tongariro River Rafting, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed the jet boat and rafting combo it is a great way to spend a day in the Lake Taupo district. I will pass on your comments to Ryan.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

une 1ere pour moi, une 2eme pour mon partenaire. Nous avons eu Ryan en moniteur, il est tout simplement super ! Securite, fun et magnifiques paysages, et Ryan qui nous fait part de ses petites anecdotes droles ou impressionnantes.Excellent moment !

It was awesome. 1h30 rafting/sight seeing, with Ryan, who is a great teacher/guide. Verry funny :)
We had a hot chocolate + marshmallow middle lentgh of the trip on the river. And at the end they sent us to hot pools, that was perfect after being in cold water (but you don't feel the cold at all unless you jump in the water and stay a while).
After that they return us to their office, and they offered us some tomatoe soup, bread and hot drinks, yum. And we can buy for 30NZ$ the CD of our rafting pictures.

Hi thanks for the great review. Its always great to see that clients have truly connected with our staff and its hard not to in such a stunning part of the world. I hope that the rest of your travels in NZ are fun.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Tongariro River is a truly wild and scenic river. With a 265 meter drop in about 13 Km, and more than 60 rapids it is a trip that is beyond fun and beyond beautiful. The beauty of the river is even more remarkable by the realization that some of the sections are only accessible by boat or foot. Floating through 50 meter tall slot canyons, you are eye level with rocks that were deposited around 160 CE. The river water is drinkable. There are schools of trout and even a few Whios. And of course, there are the ubiquitous Tui birds.

We, my wife and I, along with my daughter and son-in-law, put in at the Poutu Intake with our guide, Ryan. Almost immediately, we were in white water. The rapids and riffles continued one right after the other for the entire trip. While never in danger, the flow kept us moving as we paddled to position our boat for the next drop. This was fortunate, as there was a slight rain during our trip, and the paddling kept us very comfortably warm. On a number of the rapids, the route was not at all obvious as we approached and even set up. But right at the last minute we could see the line we needed to take. This is a tribute to Ryan’s knowledge of the river and his experience as a river guide. At Sandstone Pool, Ryan asked if we wanted to swim. I suspected he asked in jest. My daughter and I, none the less, looked at each other and thought “Heck Yeah!” Ryan pulled the boat over to a rock, where we climbed up a couple of meters and jumped in. While I had no idea of the water temperature, the air temperature was probably around 12c. But since we were in wetsuits, splash jackets and PFDs, we never got cold. Halfway through the float, we came upon the Rangipo Prison Road bridge, with the adjacent, and no longer used, solitary confinement tower of the prison. This was also one of the few slow portions of the river. 13Km downstream from Poutu Intake, we put out at Blue Pool, where we loaded up the raft and drove to Oasis Motel in Tokaanu. Here we stripped off our wetsuits and soaked in the geothermal pool to relax, warm up, and enjoy one of the standout features of the Lake Taupo region. After the soak, we returned to the Tongariro River Rafting shop for a delicious bowl of soup and bread.
Ryan is a well qualified and experienced river guide. He knows his craft, knows the Tongariro River, as well as the geologic and botanic history of the region. He’s passionate about conserving the beauty of the area, evidenced by his advocacy for the endangered Whio/Blue Duck. And if that’s not enough, he’s just an all around fun guy.

As a “Yank” living in Oregon, I think of myself as pretty spoiled when it comes to nature and the beauty of the out of doors. I’ve been an outdoorsman for most of my life, and have rafted a few rivers, both guided and not. By any standard, the Tongariro River rafting trip is stunningly gorgeous and should not be missed.

Thank you for such a fantastic review. Glad to see that you had such a great time on the river. It is Oarsome to see that you connected with Ryan so well and had such a memorable time on the river. I trust that the rest of your travels go well. Thanks for the review once again.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a great time out on the river with our guide Ryan. He was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area as well as had a great eye for safety. The photographer and co-driver Ben gave us some great shots to remember of our fun filled day out. We had lots of laughs on route, we were not cold once which was an absolute blessing to enjoy and they even filled our tummies with yummy warm homemade soup afterwards. I would recommend this team to anyone!

Garth O, Owner at Tongariro River Rafting, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your Great review. Its always Oarsome to hear that people enjoy not just the River but also our Staff. I will pass on your comments to Ryan and Ben and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I went down Tongariro river with Tongariro River Rafting team last year. I was very nervous as I've never done anything like this before. Our guide, Ryan, was great. He put me at ease with his guidance and of course his humour. My daughter was even more scared than me but we were both in fits of laughter during the trip. Scenery was amazing. Thanks to the team for a bloody great day!!!!!

Garth O, Owner at Tongariro River Rafting, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip so much. I'm glad that Ryan set you and your daughter at ease and I will pass you feedback on to him. Thanks for the great review and we hope to see you again at some stage.