“Awesome adventure”

2-hour Tongariro River Family Rafting Excursion in Turangi
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Turangi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tongariro River Rafting is the most experienced outdoor adventure company on the Tongariro River. We create journeys, share stories and bring people closer to nature through biking, fishing and rafting. We celebrate 25 years as a family owned and operated business in 2015. We're passionate about showing off our amazing region to visitors and are dedicated to preserving the natural environment of the Tongariro River for future generations – so much so, we founded the Blue Duck Project – with the goal of returning the rare native Blue Duck to its traditional habitat along the Tongariro River. Our adventures include Grade 3 white water rafting trips, family floats for the younger rafters or first timers, mountain biking and fishing. On your Grade 3 white water rafting trip, you will have an unforgettable 2.5 hours navigating over 60 heart-pounding rapids with an expert guide at the helm. All of our guides are highly trained professionals and our equipment is top quality. You'll even enjoy a deli style lunch after your trip (hot soup in winter). Prepare yourself for one of the most stunning white water rafting adventures in New Zealand – we know this river like the back of our paddle! “Oar-some!!”
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Los Angeles
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Awesome adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was a fabulous way to spend a day in gorgeous Tongariro National Park. We loved our guide Yak-he had great stories and was very knowledgeable about rafting. There were only 4 people on our tour plus the guide making this a very personalized tour. Yak even let us take turns with the company's camera to capture pictures. Just a few notes on the tour:

They seem to be the major rafting operator in this area. We booked through rapid sensations, which turned out simply to be a booking agency-not the actual tour company.

If your prone to getting cold, they will let you double up on fleeces under your wetsuit so be sure to ask.

The photo CD at the end of the tour is $30.

Overall, this was an incredible experience with great people. We also got to meet Mad Dog, who I believe is the owner. He had lots of interesting stories to tell about the National Park as well as New Zealand as a whole.

Visited May 2012

California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Drop dead gorge-ous and super fun too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is THE BEST adventure for people who love nature and love to have fun, but don't necessarily want to jump out of (or off of) things! The scenery is breathtaking, just amazing at every turn. You really have to see the river from this vantage point, it's stunningly beautiful. The water is pumping pretty nice so you get to bump around on the rocks which makes it exciting and challenging but not really dangerous. You are equipped with everything you need to stay warm, so you just show up. All you need to bring with you is a towel and they have a storage bin (with a lock) for your stuff. The guides are extremely competent, knowledgeable, in control but all the while keeping you entertained with their stories. The owner of the company is super nice, he let me reserve 2 spots the day just before the trip and even helped me book a hotel room nearby so hubby and I could walk there, but then he ended up giving us a ride back to the motel at the end of the day and hanging out. This level of kindness is really fantastic in a place where dozens of people pass through every day. We had a total BLAST and I thought it was a great value. They served food back at the starting place and offered photo CDs of the trip for sale. My advice is to skip the bungee/parachute/zorb/gondola sort of thing and do this instead, it is truly worth it and a great time! Cheers!

Visited April 2012
Singapore, Singapore
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Made My Weekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

Was having a doubt if I should do white water rafting in Tongariro. It's only grade 3... And I saw the river current just like a sewer near to my hometown (apparently I saw wrong side of the river, we are not going to start there!).

After we went to the river, all doubts were gone!. Sometime I just missed some commands as I was busy looking at the scenery and amazed with the quality of the water.

Grade 3 was challenging enough!, Not enough to make you fall or thrown away from the raft, but you don't want to keep falling to the freezing water of Tongariro I believe? It's pretty cold, but you will get used to it. Wetsuit and jacket are provided, so don't worry :D. All in good quality!.

Our guide was so fun and he didn't hesitate to tell us the history of some areas we passed by... Paid attention to everyone in the team to ensure their safety (I tend to missed few things and he keep reminds me. Appreciate that!)

I definitely will bring more friends back. Probably learning to do kayaking as well :D.

Waterproof camera provided, don't forget to wipe the lens regularly as sometimes few drops of water just stick on the lense. You are allowed to buy all the pictures. The good thing, it's not charged per image, but they will give you all!. So much fun to remember.

Thanks Tongariro River Rafting team to made my Holiday!.

Visited April 2012
Taupo,NZ
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“a must do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

great team and great time... cheers Tongariro river rafting

Visited November 2011
Thank Silverfern lodg... T
Melbourne, Australia
“brilliant white water rafting experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Very exciting, well organised, and Simon was an exceptional guide.

Visited March 2012