“great place to stay for caving!”

YHA Waitomo Juno Hall Backpackers
Reviewed January 21, 2014

my husband and i didn't come into it with high expectations, but really enjoyed our time here! it's a backpackers lodge, so it's nothing fancy, but everything was very clean, and we really enjoyed hanging out watching movies with other guests in the common area. nice big kitchen, and the owner is very friendly. our favorite part about staying here was the surroundings... big fields with sheep, cows, horses, deer, etc. and it was fun to walk around. the blackwater rafting co. is a less-than 5-minute walk down the road, which was very convenient. we would definitely come back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 15, 2014

First of all, I’m glad I didn’t read the reviews before we came here as we wouldn’t have booked it. However, I think it’s one of the best hostels I’ve ever stayed at. Lovely, clean kitchen and nice chill-out area. The grounds are beautiful and I found the staff very friendly and helpful. Granted, we stayed in our camper van on the grounds (16$ pp) so I can’t comment on the mattresses. I will say though that from glancing in the dorms, they look very clean and comfy. Also, the bathrooms were spotless (I’m very fussy about that sort of thing!).
Don’t let the bad reviews put you off - we even spent an extra night here as we fancied a day just chilling out and this seemed the perfect place to do it!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laney_Yanny
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We were charged more 5 dollars when we got to pay, since we lacked from some sort of membership. We have booked it through hostel bookers as we have already done so many times and this was the first time we were overcharged. We actually had no money more in cash and so he had to let us go. The question was not really the 5 dollars, but all the reliability of the booking process.

The beds were really bad true and the owner a bit weird true. I got him constantly complaining people was not putting back the dished in the cupboard after washing. A bit annoying.

A part of it, it has quite of a good atmosphere and the surrounding is gorgeous.

The sheets of the bed were a bit smelly.

It is a bit overpriced backpaper and if you correlate the price with the quality, maybe it is better to pay a little more in another location around and get much more improved conditions. I would do that.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

This wooden hostel was great. Dorm was one of the most spacious I've stayed in, facilities were great and other backpackers were friendly and considerate. I would absolutely recommend this place and would definitely stay here again if in the area. Dave, host, was super-friendly and a great character.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This backpackers was in a great location, clean, safe and had a lovely building, but that's the end of the good news. We found the beds uncomfortable. There was a lack of attention to detail, such as keeping dish soap in the kitchen. The sole staff member we met seemed perpetually angry, slamming doors and windows and ignoring people standing at the desk. Worse yet, it seemed to bring out the worst loud whining in some of the guests, something we encountered nowhere else. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
YHANZ, Owner at YHA Waitomo Juno Hall Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Hello,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed our location and building but are sorry you found the staff unfriendly and the beds uncomfortable.

Since your review, we have had a complete change of staff and we're always looking at our improving facilities, which included a kitchen upgrade not long ago. It's good to get your feedback on the comfort of the beds.

We hope you enjoy your onward travels and that you get to explore much more of New Zealand.

All the best,

Anne Juno, YHA Waitomo, Juno Hall

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Unfortunately the reviews are true. The beds are the worst we have experienced in hostels across Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. You can feel every slat and the slats actually move! Another problem is the noise, it just carries through the building so someone walking down the corridor sounds like an elephant parading past. Finally, we ended up being charged twice as we'd already paid online and then got charged again on arrival. We were actually charged less when we paid second time on arrival so if you can pay when you arrive! This was refunded but we lost out due to the conversion.

That said, the location is beautiful and the staff are friendly and the baby animals are adorable. We even got to feed the lambs!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'm sorry to say I didn't read reviews before booking this hostel. I was very disappointed. I'm well versed with hostels and backpackers and don't expect much.

I was greeted by a man who I presumed was the owner. He seemed like a bit of a quirky character which I don't mind but In the space of 2 hrs he made 3 wise cracks at money with specific reference to me being cheap. The one that particularly insulted me was the fact that I ate 2 min noodles for dinner... Little did he know that I had been suffering from ill health and was lucky to eat anything let alone 2min noodles and hence no big fry up.

A few other problems I had was the bed, as other reviews have mentioned. I woke up during the night a little confused and thinking I was sleeping on the floor. Seriously only stay here if you like a firm mattress. For $30NZD (the most I've paid for a hostel in NZ and one of the worst) I would expect a lot more. I didn't ask about WIFI because I didn't need it but it's always nice to have and for $30 a night should be free access. The decor is tired. The lounge cushions are flogged out. It looks like a movie seen from the 90s. A bit of a relic.

I'm sorry but insulting your guests and you'll get a bad review.

Glad I only stayed one night!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
#2 of 5 in Te Kuiti
Waitomo Lodge
Waitomo Lodge
#1 of 3 in Te Kuiti

Been to YHA Waitomo Juno Hall Backpackers? Share your experiences!