“Staff - sort it out.”

YHA Waitomo Juno Hall Backpackers
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I would like to start by saying there is nothing wrong with the hostl itself.
The rooma and shpowers,toilets etc are fine/average. Beds a little hard but i dnt expect luxury.
this review is more for the staff, or one in particular.
we booked our room through hoastelworld which garentees your room and asks for an arrival time so there is someone there to check you in.
when we arrived, there was knowone, no staff no gueats just emptyness. We wait around for ten minutes until i hear noises down the chall so i go to investigate. there is a woman cleaning one of the rooms so i say hi and ask if there is anyone on reception. i get a blank look and a short answer of "yeah...me" then nothing she just stares at me till i have to say "ok...can we check in then please"
she sais nothing but drops the bed sheets and pretty much stomps off down the corridor like a stroppy teenager.

she clearly wasnt aware of our booking as she asks how we booked, phone or online, i tell her online and she turns the computer on.
she then diascovers there is a problem with our booking.
here is what she says happened...
"there is a small window when you book through hostel world that they dont check with us first so in the space of you booking through them and someone booking through us directly we have double booked" after a discussion we go for a cheaper room.

here is what i think happened...
"hostel world garentees your booking 100%. the fact that knowone was around to check us in..the compoutor was not on i reckon that her or a collegue didnt bother checking emails. then made an excuse to cover there back"

checked in anyway with no apology or free WiFi to compensate.. Nothing.. later i go to ask her to buy some food from the fridge, again i was met with.. "well do you have the right change" she was not happy with my answer so stropped to the fridge. i was made to feel bad for asking her to do her job...go figure.

Next day I asked her if she spoke to her boss about our room mix up ..all I got was "nope having seen him"

now i hope the rest of the staff there are not like this, wouldnt know as i only dealt with her but if they are there must be somthing in the water. i dont expect as a paying guest to be met with a grown woman acting lile a surley teenager. If this place has a manager...he needs to train his staff..or get new ones.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank muzzyboo86

Reviewed May 29, 2013

So happy that I had only booked one night.

I received a cold 'welcome' from a girl when I arrived after lunchtime. The kitchen was still in a mess which is why I decided not to cook there, though it looked cleaner when I returned at night.
A second, much nicer girl, arrived later and seemed to do the major work.

I was put in a twin room with a dorm bed and when I unpacked at night a mouse crossed my way. I wouldn't stay in the room after I found out that the mouse actually LIVED there and had a nest underneath the carpet. Since no staff was left I knocked on other room doors to find a free bed. When the owner arrived later that night to check in 2 late arrivals (the boys took my room and accidentally killed the mouse...) he wasn't bothered and helpful at all. At least I received a correct refund of the room price difference but was completely left alone for the rest. I have to confirm what other reviewers already stated - the mattress was terrible. As were the sofas on the verandah when the extra fabric slipped aside. Bathroom was ok... Construction-wise, this place must get really cold during fall and winter.

This place states to be a YHA and BBH member but didn't offer the benefits of a YHA such as free wifi and couldn't live up to average standards of a BBH in a remote area. What a pity, I'm convinced that the place could be greatly improved with somebody who really CARES.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jboe12
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Not up to YHA standard, is a share with BBH. One of the few places to stay in Waitomo. Right opposite black water rafting.

Reception shut at 7, as we turned up 5 minutes before the receptionist refused to sell us Internet as she had 'packed up' in the night. Generally unfriendly staff.

Bathrooms are ok. Double rooms are bunk beds with a double below and single on top.

As a share, no free wifi for YHA members. $4 an hour access. The most expensive we saw in NZ hostels.

Bring food as not a lot of shops around.

It is fine for a night but very quiet and only place in Waitomo.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We were camping, so I can't comment on the beds, but nice big clean lounge with lovely open fire, well equipped communal kitchen, showers and toilets good. Quite a way from Waitomo itself, not an issue for us but could be for some. Cute pig and horses and pool that must be lovely in summer.
The only negative point was the girl on duty both nights we were there - the rudest client facing person I've ever come across!! We didn't have any major issues but I witnessed her being breathtakingly rude bordering on just plain nasty to several other guests!! Shame as otherwise a great place.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed there for a night recently. The room is relatively small and there are only two toilets and one shower room (for ladies) on the ground floor for share. Long queue for the service in the morning as you can imagine. The room of the floor is a little bit dusted. What shocked us most was when we asked for the local map about the area, the staff said they did not have and we had to go to local i-site to find the info. Even if you are a member of YHA you will have to pay for the service of using the Internet. Overall, it was not an ideal place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed in a twin room with a friend for a night. Room had a bunk bed - I actually found the mattress pretty comfortable for sleeping. Bedding very clean. My main complaint is the bathroom - shower was unpleasant and the bathmat was soaking and dirty - perhaps due to the small number of bathrooms shared between many people. Other than that, it was okay for a night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Nice and clean showers and additional door so that the campers do not have to go through main lobby every time; plus you are able to put you tent wherever you like. Good, fully equipped kitchen - you can use the refrigerator if you like. A bit far from the village though.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 5 in Waitomo Caves
Owls Nest Motel
Owls Nest Motel
#1 of 1 in Piopio

Been to YHA Waitomo Juno Hall Backpackers? Share your experiences!