“Tour of New Zealand North and South Islands”
Review of Breakers Motel

Breakers Motel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Whangamata
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed at this motel on the night 15th November 2013 during a whistlestop driving tour of the north and south islands. This is a very friendly family run motel. What a super room we had, we were upgraded to a larger 2 roomed apartment with comfortable beds, our outside patio was next to the pool (a fair sized shaped pool but a tad too cold for me) as were most of the ground floor rooms. All rooms seemed to overlook the pool. We had breakfast delivered to our room (ordered the night before) and was cooked by the owner exactly as we asked. Free WiFi was available and the owner/staff were very very helpful. Highly reccommended

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jtf102
There are newer reviews for Breakers Motel

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Very friendly and welcoming hosts. Suggest you request a first floor room, as the views of the bay are excellent. Rooms are sizable, very clean with an excellent bathroom. The balcony has an excellent hot tub, which was very relaxing. Serving breakfast in your room, having pre ordered the previous night seems rather off putting , but don't miss it ! The food choice is excellent and very generous, served on time and the cooked food was hot, despite having been carried on a tray without any fuss ! The town is very welcoming, and Breakers makes an excellent choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gwyn W
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Lady at reception was very helpful and friendly. The room was tidy, modern and had a reasonable view. The spa bath was good and we could still see the view from it. The big pool area looked very nice except unfortunately the weather turned windy and cool and no one was down there. The place was on the inside/west side of the Whangamata Urban Area and Peninsula but still only a very short drive and medium walk from town and the main beach. The only thing was the bed in the lounge was wobbly. The price was maybe on the upper end of the bracket for the type of room. Overall very good and would recommend. An upstairs room facing north would be the best option.

Room Tip: Upstairs north facing with spa
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed in this motel for one night and I have to say I was blown away by the friendliness and generosity of the staff. Our family of two adults and two teens turned up tired and in need of hot showers after kayaking all day. Loralee ( I think?) was so friendly and helpful,and gave us extra milk so the kids could have hot chocolate. When I asked where the laundry was so that I could do some washing she let me use the hotel's washer and dryer free of charge instead. A godsend! We stayed in unit 14 which was a 1 bedroom unit with 2 single beds in the living area which opened out onto the pool area. The room was really nicely appointed, very spacious and very clean. Very, very comfortable! The only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. Would totally recommend Breakers for their personalised service. PS: they have the most adorable cat which was in terrible need of lots of pats! For our family who was missing our pets at home he/she was a welcome substitute!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank noonie1966
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Friendly down to earth people running Breakers. I ended up in room 17, one of the downstairs rooms. Quite sizeable with a bedroom w/queen bed, and a lounge/dining area also including 2 single beds and 3 single seats (plus seats for the dining table). Sounds like a lot of stuff being crammed in but somehow it didn't seem cramped. Nice bathroom and typical kitchenette facilities with a good size fridge.

There was a small TV in the bedroom but I didn't try that - travelling on my own (although part of a tour group) I opted to sleep on a single in the loungeroom so I could have the bigger TV on for a cricket game :-)

The motel is a kilometre or so out of the main road through town centre, although very close by one street over was a New World supermarket, very handy. I was tired and feeling like a night in so I wandered over to get bread ham & salad to make sandwiches. Almost went for a swim in the little pool immediately accessible outside my sliding door, but the need for a nap was stronger.

Got a surprise in the morning when my breakfast turned up 50-60 mins early (7.25am vs the timeframe of 8:15-8:30am I had ticked on the breakfast sheet) with me still in bed and more asleep than awake. After vaguely hearing knocks, the next set of knocks woke me up enough to realise it was my door. Had to get up starkers and hide behind the door while taking the tray around the door. No big deal really but I did miss 20 mins of sleep I was rather in need of.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We spent one night at the Breakers on the 2nd floor. The room was modern, clean and well maintained with a spa on the balcony a great view of the Whangamata marina and surrounding mountains .
We showed up without a booking hoping to view a room before we stayed. The lady was so friendly and accommodating....WOW that bed was huge.
Recommended to all A+

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gavin L
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This review is quite late as I have only just signed up to trip advisor recently but after the experience I had staying at Breakers Motel was simply too good not to give an excellent review!

Being able to just walk out the back door and fall into the pool was awesome. The rooms are very spacious and the welcome and farewell we had was very friendly.

Thanks for the memorable experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor open right into the pool with your own private outdoor spa!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michaelgoulden42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whangamata
Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort
Tairua Shores Motel
Tairua Shores Motel
#1 of 6 in Tairua
Southpacific Motel & Conferance Centre

Been to Breakers Motel? Share your experiences!