My review will be biased a bit because we like the big city life coming from a hick town in the backwaters! So we didn't like the secluded bush setting or the quietness of Pauanui or the surrounding towns. Our room was nice & was clean but it was chalet 4 which from the carpark is a very steep climb so be aware of that if you have mobility problems. Even if they drive you up you still have to walk up steep steps to get to your room.It's really inconvenient if you leave something in the car.
They will instantly drive you to your steps if you request it though. Although when we went to leave I must have rung the restaurant & asked to be picked up for check out & they said sure so we waited, & waited, & waited. When I went down to reception they hadn't known about my call as the restaurant hadn't said anything to the concierge.
Good size fridge & cupboards & really good size bathroom which is clean & bright & airy. Lovely balcony although no view as really enclosed by trees.
We moved the armchair by the bed for watching TV as you can't see the TV because it's in a cupboard.
No complimentary newspaper delivered. No free Internet. Room was serviced everyday to a high standard.
Everything else was more miss than hit as well.
We are part of the Accor club so got these nights for a really good price, & I could be wrong but I felt like "cheap deal = most inconvenient room location".
We had an early booking for dinner & ordered an entree & they came back & said was already sold out!
Ask how the dishes are prepared before you order. We were disappointed by most of our meal because how we read the menu & what was on the plates seemed very different.In fact, for the 1st time ever I sent a dish back as it was the last straw of a mediocre experience.The irritating piped music didnt help.
Breakfast was also disappointing. Very basic continental & you had to pay extra to get an a- la- carte menu plate of food & extra again to get a hash brown, mushrooms (2) etc.
It was hard to decide because the menu was so limited in options.
Those were the only 2 meals we had at the hotel.We checked out early on our last day so we could be in Rotorua in time to have full American Breakfast at the Novotel there!
The Spa pool seemed tiny. They should have 2 or 3 of them.
Not our cup of tea as I said, we have decided we prefer Novotels generally.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort is located at Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, 2 hours drive south east of Auckland. This luxurious, secluded hideaway features 48 chalets set in 10 hectares of native bushland, an award winning restaurant, guest lounge and sun decks with views overlooking Pauanui and the Pacific Ocean. Facilities include a tennis court, swimming pool and the nearby beach has 3km of golden sand and renowned for surfing. There are many bush tracks to explore and array of activities in the Coromandel region. A ferry service operates to nearby Tairua, home to cafes and art galleries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Hotel Pauanui
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui, New Zealand