I like the resort itself. The log cabins in the trees are a bit tired but remind me of some great vacations in Colorado and Virginia. The hills are a steep walk and the trees, now well established, block the view to the sea. Despite this, the resort offers something different to the usual concrete clone resort. That said, here comes the cons. Puaunui Beach is remote, with limited dining options (there's a good takeaway and a cafe). The resort has a restaurant with possibly the rudest maitre'd outside Paris. This is actually what happened: we walked in (2 of us) at about 6.15. The place was empty. "Have you got a reservation?" Did we need one? He looked at his sheet for about a minute; there were 3 names on it, there are about 30 empty tables. "Come this way" We followed. "Is this table alright?" Offering us a cramped table at the back of the empty room. No, we'll have this one by the window, looking over the sea thanks. After that, we were left with the menu. My wife is dairy intolerant, but everything from the grill was not dairy free(!) because they only offered potato dauphinois as a side. A little negotiation substituted roast potatoes from another dish, at a cost of deep sighs and disdain from maitre'd. After that, the service was handed over to a junior waiter who was excellent, and the food was good. By the time we left, there were two other parties there, a family and a couple. The couple had the table we had refused, so presumably they had failed to book too. My advice, stay somewhere with more dining options, but if you are a fan of Fawlty Towers, have a meal here and enjoy the closest thing to a Basil Fawlty impersonator you will experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort is located at Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, 2 hours drive south east of Auckland. This luxurious, secluded hideaway features 48 chalets set in 10 hectares of native bushland, an award winning restaurant, guest lounge and sun decks with views overlooking Pauanui and the Pacific Ocean. Facilities include a tennis court, swimming pool and the nearby beach has 3km of golden sand and renowned for surfing. There are many bush tracks to explore and array of activities in the Coromandel region. A ferry service operates to nearby Tairua, home to cafes and art galleries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline and ACCOR so you can book your Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Hotel Pauanui
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui, New Zealand