I wanted to take a short break between jobs so booked 2 nights at Puka Park in a "tree top chalet". Drove from Auckland with my daughter and arrived quite late (so it was dark). Very pleasant service (which was consistent throughout our stay) and we soon collapsed in our room.
The time flew by and we had a lovely couple of days. It felt much more like an offshore resort that somewhere just 2 hours from our home in Auckland.
The rooms are a little tired and there were other parts of the hotel that looked like they could do with a bit of renovation (pot holes in the road for example) but we understand that they are closing for upgrades later in the year so I am sure that this will be fixed.
Rooms are definitely on wooden piles and in the treetops. We could peer through the foliage and see a glimpse of the beach- very relaxing.
We really didn't mind - we kicked back and relaxed. Enjoyed the spa and had a swim in the pool. Walked to the few shops (underwhelming but you don't go to Pauanui for the shopping!) and had a great run along the beach.
We had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant - food was good and service very efficient.
All too soon it was time to head home - easily could have stayed longer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort is located at Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula, 2 hours drive south east of Auckland. This luxurious, secluded hideaway features 48 chalets set in 10 hectares of native bushland, an award winning restaurant, guest lounge and sun decks with views overlooking Pauanui and the Pacific Ocean. Facilities include a tennis court, swimming pool and the nearby beach has 3km of golden sand and renowned for surfing. There are many bush tracks to explore and array of activities in the Coromandel region. A ferry service operates to nearby Tairua, home to cafes and art galleries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Hotel Pauanui
- Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui, New Zealand