“This place needs an upgrade”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“This place needs an upgrade”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We honeymooned in Parrot Cay after a fairytale stay at our wedding hotel, the Gansevoort on Providenciales, T&C. We should have never left Gansevoort. For something like 3 times the price, Parrot Cay provided a third of the amenities.

Parrot Cay is beautiful, no doubt about it, and it is very secluded but so are most of the Grace Bay hotels. The Gansevoort, again, has a very secluded beach with only one other resort within eye distance.

The staff at Parrot Cay is amazing, the service is really impeccable and the food was terrific.

The room, however, really does ruin the experience. I read all the reviews and we thought "who cares about the room? we won't be in the room!" but we ended up caring a lot. We didn't care about the bare room and the fact that a hotel with like $1000/night rooms goes for a "rustic" vibe. But there were a lot of little issues that caused problems for us. First of all, the bed was TERRIBLE. The mattress sagged and the sheets were sandpiper-like with awful pillows. A friend of ours who has stayed at Parrot Cay and loves it despite the bad rooms described the sheets as no better than you get in a hospital. I mean, really, really bad. The shower was also awful. For the money there should be a much nice bed and shower and these things end up really putting a damper on the whole experience. Why are we paying so much for such eh accommodations? Also, no wifi in the rooms? What is this, 1995? Yes, yes, we were honeymooning and so shouldn't be on the computer but we like staying in touch with our families and the lack of wifi was just weak. There was often a wait for computers in their library, wifi in the rooms is a must.

We had a good time at Parrot Cay, partly because we can have a good time together anywhere but we see no reason to ever return. There are plenty of Grace Bay hotels which offer a lot more bang for the buck.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ksheinin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
London UK
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Second time here and just as good as the first. From the moment you are met at the airport until you return, the service is warm, friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Secluded and sophisticated, but nevertheless family friendly. Possibly one of the best beaches in the world ? Hotel and gardens beautifully kept. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to treat themselves to a luxury beach holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I just don't get how this resort gets the reviews it gets. It was terribly disappointing for the cost and there are so many other great, small island getaways that I would recommend over Parrot Cay. Those I spoke to on the boat ride back felt very let down as well. The beach and water is very beautiful, but you can't do much. Any activity to snorkel, kayak or explore is a ghastly excursion fee. You can kayak or sail, but you can't go out of sight from the staff so you feel like a child that can't go anywhere. There isn't even any good snorkeling right off the beach b/c the boat channel runs so close. The staff is very attentive and the food is excellent. But, it's so expensive and you have no options. The pool is lovely and the grounds/spa. The backside of the island that you can see from the spa is gorgeous, but you can't see any of it w/o paying an arm and leg. The rooms were highly disappointing and my back was killing me when we left due to a thick pad placed on slats that constituted my bed. The staff could do a better job of giving folks a tour of where everything is...we discovered a walking/running path and everything else on our own and if we didn't get out and look, would have never known they were there. The spa is lovely. Our room was also near (most non villas are) the path where all the motorized carts that staff drove zoomed by. My friend dubbed our room as 'on the highway' as it was very loud. I'm not typically a terrible reviewer, but I was so angry with myself for spending the amount of money I did for what the resort actually delivered in an experience. I will say we got a free lunch upon arrival since our room was not ready. There are just SO many other great places to stay that are small, private, good service/food, well-designed and provide an exceptional experience for this kind of money.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank jenlats
Wallingford
Reviewed February 15, 2009

A travel agents review.

I visited Parrot Cay for 2 nights as part of a site inspection of Turks and Caicos hotels in Oct 08.

Parrot Cay is a unique and exquisite escape from everyday life. Although we were technically 'working', we were asked to experience the island as our clients would and we were made to feel incredibly welcome.

We stayed in the hotel rooms which have a 'colonial' feel to them and are are what I call understated luxury. Simply furnished but clean, comfortable with everthing you would need. The villas are another thing altogether and having seen a number of them, I can recommend them highly. They are privately owned and individually furnished but ar in the rental pool. Although individual they are all in keeping with the 'feel' of the resort and are extremely private.

The location of Parrot Cay is stunning and you will never struggle to find a private section of the beach. With a few non-motorised watersports on hand, the focus is on relaxing and the spa emphasises this. The treatment I had was fantastic in a stunning setting.

The service and staff were faultless and the food was superb with a choice of restaurants. The slightly poolside restaurant for delicious light lunches and asian cuisine in the evening and the main restaurant. Everything felt luxurius yet informal and relaxed.

I would not recommend Parrot Cay for children due to the lack of activities but the villas will suit families and there were children there during our visit and they were not made to feel out of place at all.

Overall I loved my stay there but consider a twin stay with another hotel in The Turks and Caicos such as Amanyara, Grace Bay Club, Regent Palms etc.

Please fell free to contact me if you have any questions or would like any advice on the hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Fullcircletravel
London
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Absolutely outstanding. I loved every moment of this holiday and didn’t want to leave. The food was beautiful and I loved the fact that there was a healthy menu to pick from as well. The staff were friendly and accommodating without being to intrusive. The beach was out of this world and due to the fact that they only have a limited amount of guests on the island then much of the time you can find a section to yourself and not see anyone for much of the day. The spa therapists were among the best that I have ever come across and, despite the fact that they were quite expensive, I could wait to book in for more. I can’t think of one thing to fault my stay on this island and would definitely consider going back.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wade631
Washington DC
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Went down to Parrot Cay this past December for a quick relaxation trip before the chaos of the holidays with my boyfriend. What a great idea that was! It will become a new holiday tradition for sure.

We were greeted at the airport by a lovely young lady and after a brief van ride to the welcome center at the dock we were offered a cold drink for our ride to the island.

Upon reaching the island we were greeted by several staff members who made us feel warmly welcomed and we were whisked up to the main building for check-in and some delightful cool cloths with an amazing euchalyptus scent. Very refreshing.

We were staying in an ocean facing room which afforded just the right balance between beautiful view and privacy. The room itself is simple but has everything needed: a comfy bed, a great day bed on the patio and ipod dock, a bose wave machine, television (though we never watched it) and a nicely stocked minbar.

A bowl of fruit in our room was replenished daily which made a great midnight snack!

We spent most of our time in the spa... the treatments are amazing, the facility spotless and the staff quite pleasant. It was a bit windy during our stay so we were happy to tuck in on the spa side of the island, although the beach was marvelous for sunset walks and drinks poolside.

Dinner was either at the poolside restaurant, Lotus or the main restaurant, Terrace. Both menus very good with lots of variety. And don't miss the steak on the room service menu. YUMMY and perfect for a night in. ;)

All in all, we did a lot of nothing and we couldn't have asked for anything more. The staff was great, as visible or as invisible as we wanted them to be.

Thanks Parrot Cay for a pre-holiday wind-down. It may have kept a few of my relatives alive this season!

• Liked — the simplicity and the breakfast buffet!
  • Disliked — the gym was a top notch facility and it made me feel guilty :)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PMFCdc
maryland, usa
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I traveled with my best friend to this amazing island resort. From the moment we were greeted at the airport to the time we left we experienced nothing but the best service. Upon arrival we had the taxi driver stop so we could purchase our own rum and coke to take to the island with us, we didn't want to spend $5 per soda and $20 per alcoholic beverage. The view on the way to Parrot Cay was breathtaking. Upon arrival at the hotel we found that we were upgraded to an ocean view room, 806, from gardenview. This room has the most beautiful view, it is the furthest from the beach and pool, but closest to the spa, internet and main dining room. The room was simply elegant and clean. The bathroom was clean, and as others stated, no shower curtain, but we didn't have any major water on the floor. We had booked the spa retreat which included 3 meals a day and 3 spa treatments each. The spa was very nice, all treatments we received were perfect, completely relaxed atmosphere. I highly recommend the Indian Head Massage. Food, well, breakfast is included and we dined outside on the terrace every morning. Omlettes to order, fresh fruits, etc. Anything you could want. Lunch was served by the pool dining area. I loved the classic ceasar salad. The menu for lunch and dinner is over the top gourmet. If you walk over to the waiter at the restraunt you can order and have your lunch brought over to your lounge chairs. We actually tired of the menu very quickly and started ordering from the room service menu at the restraunt. This was not a problem at all, they were happy to accomodate us. The coconut sorbe with chocolate cake is yummo!! My friend enjoyed the strawberry granita. Regarding the food, all you need to do is ask and most requests are happliy accomodated. Yoga, I practice yoga at home and found the instructor here, Andrea, to be wonderful. The yoga studio is peaceful and inviting. We tried yoga on the beach, but found the sand falling off of our feet when we raised them was not so much fun when it landed on your face. From start to finish, we had only two complaints, and one really didn't affect us. Thie one is the lighting and handicap accessibility of the resort. The resort is not suited for anyone with any immobility problems. There are many steps and poor lighting at night. One vacationer with a cane was having significant trouble navigating around. The other problem we encountered were children that were not well supervised or mannered. Yes, children. With all of the family friendly places to take your kids, this is not appropriate. The only thing for kids to do is go to the beach. Many, and I will not say who these people are or where they are from, but it isnt the USA, were rude and impolite. At lunch the husband had his bare feet resting on the table at lunch in the restraunt, while his kids, who were to be supervised by a paid helper from the resort, were marching throughout the restraunt with swords. This family was rude and inconsiderate of other guests. I am amazed that the resort staff didn't say anything to them. Please take your kids to beeches in turks, not Parrot Cay. The resort is very pricey, and you will need to be on a meal plan, but if your looking for a relaxing get away with your spouse or BFF this place is perfect. Pack your bathing suit and a good book, get ready to enjoy.

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Disliked — They allow children
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
The Regent Grand
The Regent Grand
#10 of 45 in Providenciales

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!