“Extraordinary beauty and peace”

COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The boat trip to get you there from Provo takes about 30 minutes and this builds the excitement for arriving at this stunning and beautiful hotel on a private island. The accommodation is top quality (we stayed in a Beachside suite) from which we could stroll 50 yards to the perfect, quiet beach.

The whole lay-out is beautifully presented, with accommodation skilfully blended in with the natural vegetation. Each suite is deliciously luxurious, ours was painted in a rich fresh white. The bathroom had a roll-top bath, twin basins and a walk in shower. Copious towels and toiletries are provided.

Our suite had an outside deck with sun beds and our own plunge pool. If you really can’t make it all that way to the beach, you can lay down by your own back door!

There are lots of really cheerful and helpful staff. The grounds are beautifully maintained.

The gym is large and has lots of equipment, weights, running machines etc and mats. There’s also a dedicated yoga/pilates building which is in an even more quiet part of the estate. The spa is stunning and consists of a series of linked buildings. The staff there are welcoming and smiley too.

There are two restaurants/bars - the main one is the Terrace up in the main hotel building, a mediterranean themed menu - its also where breakfast is - the other is Lotus, which has an Asian theme and is by the brilliant infinity pool. Each bar serves a wide range of cocktails (and stunning rums!)

Its certainly not cheap but you get superb service in an extraordinary setting. If there is one thing they could improve its that sometimes the restaurant service can be slightly inattentive - but overall this is a clear 5 star hotel.

2  Thank ArkLark
Grantnoble, General Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind and informative review, I am happy that the resort and service exceeded your expectations, especially considering how far you had to travel to get here.

I look forward to seeing you back very soon,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We recently spent 10 days at Parrot Cay and had an extremely relaxing and pleasant vacation. Please note that the review below is not meant take away from the wonderful resort at Parrot Cay, but is our opinion of our experience compared to staying at another COMO resort in the Maldives.

Overall we found that people were extremely friendly and helpful, when available. My wife and I were travelling with our little one and Parrot Cay was definitely very family friendly. What made our vacation was one particular staff at the Lotus restraint, Sunisa, who made every extra effort to look after our 19 month old, as well as ourselves. We truly felt she went out of her way to make our experience memorable.

We arrived with no trouble and were greeted by the Parrot Cay staff and taken to our boat transfer. The transfer was stress free and well done. We stayed in an Ocean view room which met our expectations for the time we spent but really did not have the class or elegance that we experienced in the Maldives. Unfortunately due to the high number of mosquitos this time of year, we could not really enjoy the balcony very much during the evening / night as once the sun goes down, you really are running inside to avoid getting bit all over. We made the mistake of staying on the beach till sunset one night and got eaten alive on our way back to our room. The beach however is stunning and is a very short walk away from the main building. If you want a relaxing, no stress and extremely quiet and private beach, this is the place for you. The beach never seemed to busy or noisy and really was paradise. We have travelled extensively and next to the Maldives, I don't think you can find a nicer beachfront.

The breakfast was very good with a large variety of fruits, health drinks and smoothies for the kids. Unfortunately, the fruit was often not the greatest quality and the waffle machine was not working the entire time we were there. The Lotus restaurant as described earlier was made special by the staff who catered to us. The food at the two restaurants was very good but overpriced in our opinion. For those going, the Lotus restaurant certainly has delightful, authentic Asian cuisine. We had most our meals here.

The major issue we felt at Parrot Cay was that it felt more like a 4 star than a true 5 star or higher experience. When we stayed at the COMO resort in the Maldives, we felt we received 7 star treatment with attention paid to every detail. We attributed this to the following reasons:

1. Service was good when we got it. We felt that as it was low season, there were not enough staff to look after the number of people at the resort (of the staff present, were not organized to ensure timely service). An example of this would be at one of the restaurants, we would often be waiting for a period of time for either someone to take our order / pick up our plates / give us our bill. We noticed that no matter how few or how many people were at dinner/lunch, the number of servers always stayed the same. One person sitting next to us one night, commented to one of the servers that he counted someone walking by his table 14 times without anyone stopping to clean up his table. Another example would be at the beach, we would often be waiting or just pick up towels on our own from behind the counter as there was often no one there to help us out. We heard this from other guests at the resort as well. However, as mentioned earlier, the staff at the Lotus restaurant were truly caring and really were exceptional. We felt that the resort could easily hire more staff to ensure excellent service but for whatever reason did not. The staff themselves were excellent at the Lotus restaurant but there is only so much they can do.

2. In our room, while it was cleaned daily, we often had to call on a daily basis to get clean plates / coffee mugs etc. There was coffee in the rooms but we had to go get mugs from the main building as they would never replace them. Same goes for the sugar. By the end of our trip the floors were quite dirty and we wondered whether they had been cleaned (other than a daily sweep) since the start of our stay.

The bottom line was that while there were many positives of the resort, it fell short in the finer details of luxury. We splurged on this trip to be spoilt as we had been in the Maldives and while I would return to the Maldives in a heartbeat, my wife and I felt that we would not likely return to Parrot Cay as the resort is a bit overpriced and lacking in finer details. However, some of the staff at the resort really made our stay wonderful and we sincerely appreciated this.

Room Tip: stay on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank thegolfpuppy

Thank you very much for your very detailed review.

I am happy that by and large you enjoyed your vacation with us, however bitterly dissapointed that we seem to have fallen short in some areas of service during your stay.

I will be adressing these shortfalls with the team to ensure that they are rectified.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We just returned from another heavenly stay at Parrot Cay. Everything about the resort oozes understated elegance. The staff is attentive, but not intrusive. The rooms are classically chic. The resort pays homage to the environment and there is a sense of seamless harmony with nature.

Everything they do, they do better than well. It is the kind of oasis that is difficult to find in a shrinking world. Bliss, pure bliss!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much, we are all happy that you continue to enjoy your time with us.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Everything about Parrot Cay is excellent and perfect. The location is perfect. The staff is amazing. The food was amazing. The accommodations were heaven. As odd as this sounds, the resort had a wonderful scent that lingers and takes me back long after I had to leave. I loved it. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you very much for this wonderful review, we are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband, 3 children and I have just come back from staying at Parrot Cay for a week in a 2 bedroom beach house. We had a lovely time, we were greeted as we came out from the airport by a lady who took us to our driver, we were then driven to the dock where we had a quick stop for drinks & bug spray before riding across to Parrot Cay in the dark.

When we arrived we were greeted by Teddy & Jonson, our butler, who drove us to our accommodation. We were very impressed with the beach house, we had chosen it as we felt it was sufficiently spacious for the 5 of us without being over the top. The location was wonderful, right at the end of the beach so very private. We could hear our next door neighbours (elderly Americans who seemed to shout all the time) but they only stayed a couple of nights.

The two bedrooms were identical; very spacious and understated, the large four poster beds were festooned with mosquito nets which we used each night. My son had a separate bed which did not have a mosquito net but he sprayed himself with bug spray & didn't get bitten after he started to do this. The bathrooms are very large with two basins & plenty of room in between for toiletries. There was plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe and a safe as well as little wicker baskets for underwear. The large chest of drawers in the bedroom itself meant we could put all our clothes away & we could also store our cases. We found having an extra shower room with a WC & washbasin very handy, one of our children made that their own.

The mini kitchen was very well equipped with a full size fridge, microwave, coffee machine, dishwasher, toaster, induction hob & kettle. We used the nespresso coffee machine but did not use the other appliances. On our first night we had dinner on our terrace which was an easy way to settle in & Jonson used the dishwasher for the cutlery & glasses.

We did not eat inside the house at all, we had one other night when we had dinner on the terrace and that was equally successful. As a mother I especially appreciated having the table laid by Jonson (who also ordered all the food) who tidied everything up afterwards.

The beach house pool was larger than we had anticipated and we spent most of our time at the house, making the most of the space & privacy. We did spray ourselves constantly with mosquito repellant and this is provided by the hotel & a problem for the entire Turks & Caicos, not just Parrot Cay (we had to spend a night at the Regent Palms on the way home & were bitten there too). We liked the oversized sofas & armchairs.

During our stay we had breakfast each morning at the Terrace Restaurant, we liked having the choice of pastries and fruit. It also gave us a little extra exercise. I can recommend the citrus & mint salad & sweetcorn hotcakes with smoked salmon from the Shambhala breakfast menu. Waffles were not available at all during our stay, apparently the machine is broken. They have little chocolate chip muffins on the breakfast buffet which were addictive. Our children loved the little doughnuts too. Each day we had lunch at Lotus, enjoying different salads, sandwiches and dishes as our moods changed. I especially liked the Caribbean Caesar salad, lobster & mango roll & crab tostadas. My teenage son had the jerk chicken wrap 5 times, he liked it so much.

We preferred to eat dinner at Lotus, the restaurant up from the beach as we like to eat Asian food. The menu changed during the week and we also had the Caribbean BBQ on Saturday night. The pork potstickers were exceptional as were the pork & shrimp dimsum. The banana fritters with banana ice-cream & caramel sauce were delicious at dinner & my children loved the brownies with ice-cream, one day my teenage daughter had them at both main meals. Jonson drove us back from dinner each night & also picked up our children before dinner as they didn't want to join us for cocktails.

Each night we had cocktails at the bar by the pool. The lady who works at the bar was the best cocktail maker, her drinks were colder than the other barstaffs'. The bar snacks were very tasty.

We played tennis twice during our stay, it was a bit hot whilst we were there to play in the middle of the day. We also used the cardio equipment at the gym. We did not take any excursions or use the spa at all. The windsurf equipment is rather old, there are lots of boards but only two sails, one of which has a hole in it. During our stay the resort received new Hobie Cat sails. We borrowed bicycles and found that they were in poor condition but we did manage to find 4 which were suitable (there were two XXL bikes in good shape but I am not tall enough to ride one). There was no charge for tennis or bicycles. We also played pool & table tennis up at the main hotel. I only had tea once as I didn't need any extra food, lots of cookies & scones, I didn't see any cakes or sandwiches.

On our last afternoon we had the use of a one bedroom beach villa (these are semi-detached). This had a plunge pool & screened outside area, I think all the beach villas have screened porches. It would have slept a family of four comfortably.

Overall it was a lovely holiday, I slept very well and caught up on my reading, using the library. There were a few other teenagers while we were there but not many & they didn't meet up with my teens.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 5 series had a good view (I looked at the buildings). The two bedroom beach houses a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank fiflippy68

Thank you very much for your kind and informative review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you managed to experiance all that we have to offer.

The good news is that our new bikes have arrived.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We cut short our stay at Parrot Cay - in under 24 hours. Such a disappointment as we had been looking forward to a quiet and relaxing vacation. The key problem being the accommodation - other reviews have described it as outdated, I would go several steps further to say it is grotty and equivalent to a 3-star hotel in the US. I would like to highlight the following issues:

- we were left waiting at the airport. There was no representative to greet us and the other guests arriving on our flight. Greeters from another hotel had to call a representative from Parrot Cay, who arrived some time later.
- upon arrival we were escorted to our room, an ocean view room. It was very small, dirty, grotty, dated furniture, stained towels and sheets. Worst of all was the bathroom - chipped tiles in the shower, no door on the very small shower. Generally dirty, aged and completely unacceptable. We requested another room immediately. In fairness we were moved immediately to a COMO suite. Although much larger the underlying quality of the room, especially the bathroom and furnishings, were unacceptable. Please note the cleanliness is not an issue re housekeeping but more the dated rooms and furnishings. We could not settle in the room and complained to the manager.
- The response of the manager was exceptional - he handled our complaint quickly and attempted to do everything he could to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, despite his best efforts, there were no suitable rooms available (all the villas were occupied).
- towels at the pool were old, ripped and stained.
- the food was very expensive for average quality.

It appears that the hotel is currently under renovation and the villas have been the priority. While it is appreciated that this takes time the main block of the building is at an unacceptable level for a hotel of this co-called standing. This is such a disappointment as the location and beach are fabulous - exactly what we were looking for, being very quiet and relaxed. However, there are a number of quality resorts nearby at a similar price point so we decided to move immediately.

I would like to thank the staff and management team for their positive reaction to our compliant and am very grateful to them for refunding the deposit we paid when making our initial reservation. In addition the restaurant and breakfast staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Such a lot of potential but significant investment required to some fundamental aspects of this resort. Please see some of my reviews of other properties (e.g. 4 Seasons, Viceroy in Anguilla) which are the standard that Parrot Cay should aspire to achieve.

One final point - a very small section of staff had an attitude that only people staying in the villas mattered. I appreciate that the villas are more expensive and profitable for the resort however the other rooms are not priced as bargain discounts and all guests should be treated with the same respect. This aspect was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Only stay in a Villa/beachfront property until the hotel is renovated.
9  Thank IanCrab
Grantnoble, General Manager at COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments, all feedback is greatly appreciated, the decor of our rooms is clearly not to your taste. I am dissapointed that you felt discriminated against because you had not booked accomodation on the beach, this is certainly not something we do, and is in fact the first time I have recieved this feedback, I will certainly address it with the team.We hope that you enjoy the rest of your vacation on the main island.

Teddy mentioned to me that you would like to come back to experiance our beach accomodation, as we were not able to upgrade you on this stay, please contact either Teddy or myself, should you wish us to arrange this.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at Parrot Cay for 4 days for our honeymood. After arriving at the provo airport, the hotel picks you up and drops you off at the boat to begin the lovely journey to this private island. Arriving is effortless, and to be greated at the hotel with a cold towel and cold champagne is wonderful. The staff are all great and cannot be more helpful and gracious.
The rooms are large and bright with big balconies to lounge on, over looking the turquoise ocean. Beach is beautiful, restaurants great and good spa. Bathrobes were so soft and comfy, I had to buy one! This is not a party place, by any means, very quiet, and zen like. A good place to just relax and regroup. Absolutely, worth treating yourself.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian O

Thank you so much.

i am so pleased that you enjoyed your very special occasion with us, we all hope to see you back very soon.

Grant.

The Tuscany
The Tuscany
#2 of 44 in Providenciales
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa

Been to COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos? Share your experiences!