“Fantastic Diving, Good operation!”
Review of Salt Cay Divers

Salt Cay Divers
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Salt Cay
london
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Fantastic Diving, Good operation!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Debbie ensured every need was taken care of. we stayed in one of the properties managed by Debbie, it was in a good location, excellent condition, a perfect recommendation.

We booked 10 dives - maybe a bit too much, but we had a great time. Ollie was not around this time, but Craig and Richard took care of us.
both Dive Masters were good, ensuring our dives were great. The trip to the Endymion and Great Sand cay was the highlight. We saw sharks, rays and quite a few turtles. this is a great wall dive location. We even had a pod of dolphins come and play with us, but we were too early for whales.

This is the island that time forgot, and I just wish that we did not have to leave!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank craig s
splash004, Owner at Salt Cay Divers, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thanks so very much for all your kid words. Sure hope you come back again next year. Tell all your friends to come joi you. We love to have more people on island.

Toronto
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Found our dive paradise”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The crew of Salt Cay Divers are truly top-notch and really nice, genuine people. Debbie runs Salt Say Divers as well as Coral Reef Bar and Grill as well as being an ambassador for the wonderful island of Salt Cay.

Our first day of diving Richard the DM came to pick up all our gear and we followed in our golf cart. I took out our gear, everything but tanks and lead. I hooked up our AI computers and that was the last I had to worry about gear until we were ready to leave. Richard, Willie and Craig took care of everything from there. We felt so safe that I left our computers attached (Atomic Cobalts) something I didn't do when we went to Provo.

Diving here is so EASY~! Like others have mentioned the dive sites are minutes away and surface intervals are done back at the shop. I recommend a nice cold coke, coffee isn't easy on the stomach! How we missed this while diving on Provo. You are done by noon here. Lunch is ordered either before the first or second dive and ready soon after your second dive once you've cleaned up. Makes for a great place to talk to everyone about the dive. From there we never did (and never have) done an 3rd afternoon dive, it's available though.

Now to the diving. Let me first point out that everything was always ready, attached and on the boat. Airfills were always 3000+ with a max of 3190 once, whohoo! And since it's a quick trip out you don't lose air by checking and then shutting of your tank for a 1+hr boat ride (like on certain Miami-like islands...). Richard is an awesome DM. A consummate professional. He also buddied up with our 11 year old Jr OPW diver son. Allowing us to relax and enjoy our dive. Something else we missed on Provo. Lot's of those misses! On other dives with a few more divers "Poseidon"Craig came along along with his trusted Lionfish spear. He got many of those beautiful invasive creatures (but not all eh Craig?...lol). On one occasion we came across a full grown green moray eel. He took out a speared lionfish and it quickly got eaten! So cool and the video will soon be available. We also did our first night-dive! My wife was apprehensive but everything was super easy and it was a blast. We did have our own dive lights so we lit up the night. Lobster, unafraid nurse shark (hung around for a while), crabs, eels, turtle sleeping under ledge (who knew?) it was just so cool. It was a day before a full moon so it wasn't as dark so that's probably why no octopus. The darker the better for a night dive-next time! Shine your lights out on your way back to the dock, you'll see a lot of small trumpet fish jumping out the water.

There is a lot of fish life. I got video of most of it. Amazing healthy coral as well. We saw some huge beautiful French and Queen angels and yes I should not have gone back down from 60' to 100' with 950psi to video them. Craig was very nice the next dive informing me we should try to surface with 500psi. No attitude, no condescension. I didn't run out of air but it was dumb on my part (I'm still learning how to do underwater video).

We had a great chat with Craig over at Porters one night when he popped in and raved about how he was telling everyone how great a diver our son was. It was heartfelt and really appreciated. He also expressed his love of the Endymion wreck and dive site. Went into detail about the coral, the colors, how the wreck was laid out and how we had to dive the site. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate so that's #1 on our list to do next year. We did get to do 13 dives in 8days. More dives than 2 weeks in Cayman Brac last August!

My son got to get up close and personal with a large Hawksbill turtle who didn't mind his presence. No whales but it was too early the last week in December so I wasn't expecting to see them- but one always has hope. Did I mention the Dolphins?

Richard who never seemed to miss anything spotted a pod after our second dive. We carefully drove over and the Dolphins stayed in our area and my son was off the boat in a shot with his snorkel. I soon followed with the GoPro and got some great footage of 4 adults and one youngster. I went back and gave my wife my snorkel and she got a birthday present she won't soon forget!

I do have to say that the waters were cooler than I was expecting. My high-tech Thermoprene explorer and top didn't cut it. Neither did my son's Bare 5/4mm. I was repeatedly reminded that my poo-pooing of bringing his 7mm wasn't such a good idea. However Debbie had a 2mm that was tailer made to fit over his Bare suit. I equally found a 3mm medium that fit me like a glove over the Thermoprene. My wife was perfectly fine in her own Pinnacle 3mm. We did dive with others in nothing other than t shirts and shorts!? I do lack my own personal insulation so to speak but after the extra wetsuits we never had a issue again. Debbie never did charge us for the rental of the wetsuits. We did leave a Sola 1200 on the dive boat one day and it was simply picked up later on in the day. The only real danger on Salt Cay is you won't want to leave and the possibility of Donkeys eating your stuff (not they did, to us anyway-ask Debbie about what happened to her...)

We will be back next year to dive with our new family!

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Mikeycanuk
Dongducheon, South Korea
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A wonderful trip because of Debbie”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Debbie absolutely saved our vacation! We went during the off season, and Debbie made certain we were well provided for. I wish I had known she offered a meal plan, because we ate with her daily. The food was good, we always got the inside story on the island, and met the locals through the process. She paid you enough attention that you knew you were being taken care of, but she didn't smother you like some small shops do. The dive master (Craig) was excellent, and responded quickly and calmly when I had a catastrophic equipment malfunction at depth (my gear, not hers). Craig always gave us a solid dive brief before we went down, pointed out the unique aspects of each dive site, and filled us in on Island history in the process. Debbie even went so far as to set us up with a fishing trip, and happily cooked up an excellent meal. If you are lucky enough to spear up a lionfish, don't miss out on trying the invasive fare, you won't regret it!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank the-passage_org
Tryon, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Top Notch Diving”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Reviewed September 16, 2012 NEW

This was my first dive trip in several years. The staff at Salt Cay Divers made it a breeze to get back into the swing of things. They took their time to ensure that my experience was everything I could have wished for. This is a top notch dive operation. Debbie and Ollie are fantastic people, you feel like you have gained lifelong friends after meeting them. If you want to "get away from it all" , enjoy pristine dive sites, meet friendly people and have time slow down to a crawl, then this is the place for you.
The diving is why we came. The dive sites are pristine, very close, (about 5 - 10 min from the harbor), and offer everything you could possibly hope for on a Caribbean dive. The viz is close to 100 feet, there are sponges, corals, fish and other wildlife galore, you just do not know where to look first. There is minimal current, so the diving is easy and you can concentrate on the wall.
If you enjoy snorkling, the area around The Bluffs is just the trick, great coral reef just feet from the shore and everything the wall dive offers, just in miniature.
We plan to go back often. I especially look forward to "whale season" when the whales migrate through the Columbus Passage, which is very close to the island.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Roland1240
Unionville, Pennsylvania
“Dive Certification With Salt Cay Divers”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

During the spring break of this past year, 2012, my family and I traveled to Salt Cay for myself and my brother's first dive trip, other than one resort course that we took several years ago. My brother, thirteen years old, and myself, fourteen years old at the time, had taken the certification courses online and were prepared to complete our pool training and open-water dives when we reached our destination. My parents, being both very experienced divers, decided on Salt Cay for the dive trip because it had appeal for amateur and expert divers alike, with an array of dive attractions including wrecks and many reefs, as well as whale-watching in certain times of the year (which my parents had the opportunity to get in the water and see the whales up-close). Upon arrival to the dive shop, we were shocked and delighted with how small and personal the area was. With a small yet experienced staff, one of the three restaurants on the island (the best, in our opinion), and a store, the quaint Salt Cay Divers was a large contrast to the bigger dive establishments we had seen before. The certification experience and diving itself was great as we were taught by Debbie Manos (the owner of the dive shop), and divemaster Richard. She made sure to make us feel relaxed and comfortable, and did a great job explaining the skills. The open-water dives were fantastic. We witnessed a large variety of colorful fish, an eel, and seahorse. Night dives and specialty dives are also available. Some of the advantages of being on such a tiny island include being only a short walk away from the dive shop and restaurant every day, and the fact that when food is ordered early from the dive restaurant, it is always made fresh. A unique feature of the island is the wildlife, including wild donkeys that roam around and hang out at the shop. Overall, I would recommend this attraction to families, couples, and individuals who are interested in scuba diving, and aren't afraid to take a more unconventional and exotic vacation.

Visited April 2012