“Top Notch Diving”
Review of Salt Cay Divers

Salt Cay Divers
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Reviewed September 16, 2012 NEW

This was my first dive trip in several years. The staff at Salt Cay Divers made it a breeze to get back into the swing of things. They took their time to ensure that my experience was everything I could have wished for. This is a top notch dive operation. Debbie and Ollie are fantastic people, you feel like you have gained lifelong friends after meeting them. If you want to "get away from it all" , enjoy pristine dive sites, meet friendly people and have time slow down to a crawl, then this is the place for you.
The diving is why we came. The dive sites are pristine, very close, (about 5 - 10 min from the harbor), and offer everything you could possibly hope for on a Caribbean dive. The viz is close to 100 feet, there are sponges, corals, fish and other wildlife galore, you just do not know where to look first. There is minimal current, so the diving is easy and you can concentrate on the wall.
If you enjoy snorkling, the area around The Bluffs is just the trick, great coral reef just feet from the shore and everything the wall dive offers, just in miniature.
We plan to go back often. I especially look forward to "whale season" when the whales migrate through the Columbus Passage, which is very close to the island.

2  Thank Roland1240
in 8 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 14 reviews

Reviewed September 8, 2012

During the spring break of this past year, 2012, my family and I traveled to Salt Cay for myself and my brother's first dive trip, other than one resort course that we took several years ago. My brother, thirteen years old, and myself, fourteen years old at the time, had taken the certification courses online and were prepared to complete our pool training and open-water dives when we reached our destination. My parents, being both very experienced divers, decided on Salt Cay for the dive trip because it had appeal for amateur and expert divers alike, with an array of dive attractions including wrecks and many reefs, as well as whale-watching in certain times of the year (which my parents had the opportunity to get in the water and see the whales up-close). Upon arrival to the dive shop, we were shocked and delighted with how small and personal the area was. With a small yet experienced staff, one of the three restaurants on the island (the best, in our opinion), and a store, the quaint Salt Cay Divers was a large contrast to the bigger dive establishments we had seen before. The certification experience and diving itself was great as we were taught by Debbie Manos (the owner of the dive shop), and divemaster Richard. She made sure to make us feel relaxed and comfortable, and did a great job explaining the skills. The open-water dives were fantastic. We witnessed a large variety of colorful fish, an eel, and seahorse. Night dives and specialty dives are also available. Some of the advantages of being on such a tiny island include being only a short walk away from the dive shop and restaurant every day, and the fact that when food is ordered early from the dive restaurant, it is always made fresh. A unique feature of the island is the wildlife, including wild donkeys that roam around and hang out at the shop. Overall, I would recommend this attraction to families, couples, and individuals who are interested in scuba diving, and aren't afraid to take a more unconventional and exotic vacation.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

They say that it's not the destination, but the ride getting there! But when you get to Salt Kay the ride begins...My girlfriend and I got to Salt Kay and started to take in the beauty that envelopes this island. Our second day on the island, we made our way to Salt Kay divers and the Coral Reef Grill. This was our first encounter with Debbie. We must of asked her question after question and with the most calm and collective manner, she comforted us on all our concerns on scuba diving. Before we knew it the next day we were getting our lesson from Debbie. Like an angel in water, she made us feel as comfortable as possible. After a little while we were heading out to do our first dive. On our first dive, Debbie personally guided us as we discovered an entirely new world. Later that night we spent the night having dinner at the Coral Reef Grill with our new friends, Oli, Debbie, Rowland, Becky, and Michelle. If your lucky enough, Olivier aka "Oli", Salt Kay Master Diver and native of Salt Kay, will entertain you with his stories of Salt Kay and his different adventures/ exeriences. After that experience we were hooked and we hope to make it back to swim with the migrating humpback whales in March with Debbie and the rest of the Salt Kay divers team. We cant thank all of you enough for the good times. Johnny and Tammy

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of diving 7 days with Salt Cay Divers in May, 2012. We have been to many locations in the Caribbean and the diving here ranks towards the top. The coral was healthy and fish were numerous. Richard, our dive master, was excellent. He knew the dive sites well and diagrammed the sites on a chaulk board prior to each dive. Most dive sites are a short 5 - 10 minutes boat ride. We made a trip to the Endymion wreck which was about a 45 minute boat ride. It was well worth it. On the way back Richard stopped at a secluded beach on Salt Cay - a real treat! Debbie Manos, the owner of Salt Cay Divers, is the best. She went out of her way to make sure we were happy and taken care of. We stayed at the Tradewinds, a short walk from the the dive operation and eating area at the Coral Reef. The rooms at the Tradewinds are basic, but clean and air conditioned with a small kitchenette. There a approximately 100 people on the island and everyone we met was friendly and happy to see us. If you are looking for a relaxing, off the beaten path, dive trip this is one of the best.

2  Thank Jim S