If you're interested in a real island get away, you can't do better than Middle Caicos. The island only has 200 full time inhabitants, no big chain hotels, no scene, no night life. It's the exact opposite of New York City. It does have some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced (I even saw a juvenile Lemon Shark on this trip), beautiful blue waters, secluded and mostly empty beaches, amazing birds, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets and blissful solitude.
Blue Horizon Resort is located on top of limestone hills and caves and the ocean breezes and lizards keep the bugs at bay. The views are amazing and the cottages are perfect for anyone who enjoys staying in a real beach house. While they are all equipped with satelite TV, wifi and airconditioning, they're still the kind of places you don't feel horrible about walking into with sandy feet. There is no restaurant onsite yet, but it really didn't bother us. We enjoyed grabbing a couple of beers out of our fridge and strolling down to the beach for sunset.
The beach is open to the public, as are all Middle Caicos beaches, but we were almost always alone. Though tour groups did come through, they rarely seemed to linger for more than an hour or two. There is a cove right off the beach that was perfect for swimming, even on the days when the water was roughest. We even snorkeled there and saw a small ray, barracudas, and lots of fish.
The new caretakers, Christi and Dallas, are lovely and very hospitable. We highly recommend having them take you to and from Provo in their boat- it is much easier and quicker than the ferry- plus a lot more fun. And they were more than happy to help us with everything we needed, from a last minute car rental to extra sun screen. They really love the island and have great recommendations for things to see and do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Horizon Resort - Natural Beauty, Adventure and Tranquility. Located on Middle Caicos, Blue Horizon Resort's newly reinvented boutique eco-resort and wedding destination is unrivaled in the Caribbean. Set amidst stunning Mudjin Harbor and Dragon Cay, the scenery and tranquil turquoise waters are dramatic and unparalleled. Five fully equipped Caribbean style cottages and two larger villas are set perfectly into the landscape each with spectacular views. You will find your own private beach paradise at Blue Horizon Resort and all of our activities and excursions have been designed to compliment the natural settings without disturbing our fragile ecosystem. Concierge services are available and include tour arrangements, groceries and any special requests. Enjoy fishing, kayaking, caving and snorkeling. Or, simply relax and take pleasure in the serene beauty of your surroundings. Whether its adventure, romance or tranquility you seek this small intimate resort and friendly personal service will ensure a truly memorable escape. Our restaurant, Mudjin Bar & Grill, offers the best view in all of Turks and Caicos - Patio and indoor dining available - Serving Lunch Daily and Dinner by reservation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Travelocity so you can book your Blue Horizon Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Horizon Hotel Middle Caicos
- Blue Horizon Resort Middle Caicos, Turks And Caicos