“Relaxing getaway”

Blue Horizon Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Middle Caicos
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed in the Sunrise cabin for 4 days over Christmas. It was the exact place we were looking for to get away from our busy lives in Canada. We relaxed and rejuvenated. The managers Lindsay and Matt (also Canadians) are very accommodating and helpful. Great host to the area. You feel like you are visiting friends. The restaurant on site is excellent however not cheap. I recommend like others have to bring food with you or order from Lindsay before coming so you don't have to eat out each meal. Make a trip to Wild Cow Run beach, just spectacular! Also, rent a jeep, you'll need it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hardytrish

Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights early in January. We loved it.

The management, Lindsey and Matt, are perhaps the nicest we’ve ever met. Prior to our arrival, they came up with any number of suggestions for how they could help -- they lined up our car rental for us, they offered to stock the fridge, etc. Their helpfulness and friendliness continued throughout the trip. (They even spotted us some extra citronella candles.)

The cabins are very nice; ours had almost a full-size kitchen, air conditioning, lots of space, with a large screened-in porch looking out toward the sea. The beach is a five-minute walk away from the cabins, along a paved path down past the limestone bluffs.

The beach at Dragon Cay is breathtaking -- there were between zero and fifteen other people there at the times we were there, along a half-mile stretch. There are large limestone bluffs with hidden beaches tucked away between them. The views -- of the ocean, of the bluffs, of the expanses of empty beach -- were jaw-dropping.

Tips:
Bring plenty of high-DEET bug spray, and some calamine lotion. The hotel is not the problem -- the cabins are designed very well, and are as effective at keeping the mosquitos and flies out as any I’ve seen -- but the island is absolutely rife with bugs. The limestone bluffs are covered in vegetation that is, apparently, extremely hospitable for certain types of insects. Plan accordingly.

Definitely rent a car. The island is large, with plenty to go see. And there’s no traffic -- so its a piece of cake getting around.

Eating in Middle Caicos can get expensive; had we stayed more than three days, we would have looked into having the hotel stock the fridge with some groceries, to help keep costs down.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I didn't realize I had not left a review after my stay there last year. We were there in January of 2013. This place is awesome and Kristy and her Mom were excellent hosts. We stayed in the cottage pictured here and it was lovely. If you are lucky you may get a visit from Grouper. The restaurant had not been open to the public yet but they served the guests at the resort. We ate one dinner there and it was delish. The area is the most beautiful place I've ever been with very few people there. If you want to get away from it all, this is it. If I ever make it back to T&C again, we will have to stay here. Thanks Kristy!

Room Tip: All rooms have to be great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank localgal10
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Blue Horizon a few years ago because we wanted an adventure outside of Provo and we loved it so much we went back AND it was even better the second time!

It was definitely quieter than Provo but that was perfect because some days it felt like we had the beach to ourselves. We did a few hikes that weren't flip flop friendly so bring some shoes!

This was my third time to Turks and each time I was eaten alive by mosquitos. This trip was no different. No matter where I go, those little buggers love me. So either be prepared to be bitten or go with someone like me (apparently they're all attracted to me and left others alone). There are also sand flies but they didn't bother me at all. We went at the end of November so the nights were a little more chilly than you would expect but coming from Canada it wasn't anything that wasn't welcomed. Just wore jeans and a light sweater and I could sit out all night.

The restaurant on the resort is new from the last time we stayed there and it's a welcome change! The place is gorgeous and the servers were so great! The view was amazing!!! The food was spectacular!!! We ate there on a few occasions and everything that I had was great. I would recommend the lobster bites, conch fritters, fish and chips, and lobster tail. Lunch was open daily to the public so you could just drop in but for dinner you have to make reservations.

The accommodations were perfect for me and my husband. I'm a city girl and I like nice things so "roughing it" isn't my thing. These accommodations had everything I needed. First off, they were super clean. The sheets, towels, all the kitchen stuff we had, even down to the locally made soap, was perfect. The managers, Matt and Lindsay, just amazing people that were so friendly and helpful, made our trip that much more better!

I would definitely return and recommended Blue Horizon Resort.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just returned from our vacation to Middle Caicos and are excited to recommend Blue Horizon. Over our stay at the resort we stayed in two of their villas, Sunrise and Sunset. Both were very clean and offered well equipped kitchenettes and comfortable amenities. Wireless internet, cable tv and air conditioning were nice touches.
Blue Horizon is not so much a 'resort' rather a small group of cottages located in a rugged and remote jewel of Turks and Caicos, 'Mudjin Harbor'. It is serviced by a small yet incredible group of staff that really help make your staff feel special. The restaurant perched over top of Dragon Cay arguably has the nicest view in Turks and Caicos and prepares excellent food at a modest price.
If you are a Surfer I would definitely recommend bringing your gear. This section of Middle Caicos is one of the few places in Turks and Caicos that will provide you with easily accessible and consistent waves.
Can't wait for my next trip to Blue Horizons!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Reg M
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Remote destination. 2 minute walk to the beach. We were there for 3 nights and had the beach to ourselves most of the time. Water crystal clear. Did some rock exploring. Walking trails along the beaches. Rooms had everything you need. Not a luxury hotel, but the basics and more.... Staff aways making sure you have everything you need. They will even stock your fridge. Lindsey and Matt are really great people and make you feel very comfortable. Food at their restaurant is excellent and prices good. Definitely like to go back. I'm a water person and love the serenity.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at Blue Horizon in the Dragonview cottage from July 19-26. This one bedroom cottage had everything we needed; kitchen, A/C, WiFi in the cottage, and a good view of Dragon Cay. The beach here is great. The 1st day we were the only ones on the beach. Over the week, there were never more than 10 people on the beach. Sand is like flour, and the water is crystal clear. You can snorkel right off the beach - not spectacular, but we saw plenty of fish and a nurse shark. For better snorkling take a fishing/snorkling trip with Dolphus (info at Blue Horizon). We went on a 1/2 day trip ($300), which was more like 6 hours. We caught snapper, trigger fish, barracuda, parrot fish, and a host of other fish. Best thing was we took (2) of the Snapper back to the chef at Blue Horizon and he cooked them for us that night for dinner. The only way they would have been any fresher would have been if we cooked them on the boat! The chef made an appetizer for us and (2) entrees out of the fish we provided, and it was probably the best fish dinner we've ever had. Matt and Lindsey (Blue Horizon) were very accomodating and friendly, and made sure we did not want for anything. The on-site restaurant served great food. A bit pricey, but understandable considering logistics. We ate at (2) other restaurants on the island, Ms. B's and Barracuda. Both were good and reasonably priced. These places definitely give you a feel of the "island life." Take the time to plan a trip to Wild Cow Run - about 45 minutes from Blue Horizon. This is probably the best beach we've ever been on in the Carribean, and is by far the most remote. This beach is desolate and beautiful! We also toured the caves - in my opinion a waste of time and money. Bats, rats and mosquitos, but I guess thats what is supposed to be in a cave. Important points: bring your own dry goods in your suitcase from home, bring bug spray, rent a car (well worth it), and check ferry schedule. Overall, this was a great trip. Accomodations were very good, location spectacular, and everyone very friendly. Once the Infinity pool goes in, (which Matt says is in the plans), this place is a 5 star easy.

Room Tip: Make sure your cottage has A/C. A few of them do not.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
The Sands at Grace Bay
The Sands at Grace Bay
#18 of 44 in Providenciales
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa

Been to Blue Horizon Resort? Share your experiences!