“I really liked it, but I'm into that kind of thing”

Wade's Green Plantation
Reviewed May 16, 2016 via mobile

I really enjoyed learning about the plantation and seeing the old stone buildings. I thought they were beautiful. My fiancé was not as impressed as me, he said it was a little longer than he would have liked. I thought it was cool!

All reviews
"human"
"island"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed March 9, 2016 via mobile

Go in cool month like March and plan on hiking the trails. Now $10 entry fee and hard to find without help. Great piece of 1700's history plantation life.

Reviewed August 14, 2015

We arrived in North Caicos and immediately went to the plantation. We were met by somebody at the gate who gave us a key there was nobody else there. It's extremely hot and not that interesting and it was $8 dollars per person for a non-guided tour. Don't bother it's not worth it!! In fact throughout North and middle Caicos, there are no roadsigns or anything. Not worth the trip don't waste your money

Reviewed March 12, 2015

If you want to experience a tactile sense of understanding on the history of these islands, go here! Call a day or two ahead and arrange a tour. Arrange to visit as soon as you get off the ferry, if you wait to do it at the end of your touring day, you will be too tired. Our tour guide was a lovely lady, a descendant of one of the plantation slaves. The ruins are eerily beautiful, a deep and utter sadness haunts Wade's Green. You don't have to stretch your imagination too much to envision the hardships of daily life, the evidence of hard manual labour are everywhere. Check out the TCI museum website for info on the plantation before you go, it's a fascinating story!

2  Thank Karin G
See more reviews
Reviewed February 26, 2015

If you are on the island this is worth a visit. I noted in previous reviews that some people found the bugs to be bad, but I suppose that depends on the season and weather as we were not bothered at all.

You need to stop in town and pay there for a visit at the National Trust building (just down the road about 3 minutes from the plantation) so that you get an informational pamphlet which explains what you are seeing.

It is an interesting piece of history and a good lesson for my kids (combined with the fact that here in Canada Feb is Black history month and therefore relevant to my little one who had a basic understanding of slavery).

Do note though that there is alot of walking over uneven ground. My kids aged 5 and 8 were well able to do it without complaining.

1  Thank canada098