“Not a good place to stay for price”

Algonquin Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oxtongue Lake
Toronto, Canada
“Not a good place to stay for price”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

If I paid $65 a night for motel quality location then I would be writing a good review. All in all this location has deteriorated after it was purchased by new owners. First error is that hotels that do not care about their clients are obvious to spot. We arrived and the entire waterfront view was filled with construction workers and crane noises from the new bridge being built. We wanted to get away for quiet and this was communicated to the owners but it seems they either misunderstood the word quiet or felt that it was more important to get the money first. At any rate, that aside the next issue was that the rooms were not fully cleaned. Finding other people's hair stuck to the bathroom wall or red spray stains on the walls as well as pebbles in the carpet to me means the staff is doing a "good enough" pass on the rooms. The worst part was that the beds were so uncomfortable that I awoke with back pains. I took a look at the mattress and it must have been well over 10 years old. I can only imagine that the former owners must have let them know when it was purchased but the new owners only care about milking the clients not providing a great place to stay. The food was also poor and I only ate there once and decided to not give this establishment another penny. All in all if I paid $65 for the night at this place I would feel I would have gotten my money's worth. For what they charged and what they provided I believe these new owners will soon find that location is only going to get you so far.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sergio B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

This place misses the idea of a cottage getaway. Right by the main road, no privacy, no BBQ, no tea/coffee maker, poor service and expensive for what you're getting. A place to avoid; many other and better options for $20-30/night more or same price.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Lukassus

Travelers are raving about these Oxtongue Lake hotels

Port Dover, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I'm sorry to read about the previous two people's comments. We were very concerned when we booked our rooms at the poor English spoken. When we arrived the staff were unwilling to 1. Book us in prior to 3pm.-- we stayed two nights and the rooms were always cleaned by noon. 2. We were told we needed to make reservations in order to dine in the restaurant. When I walked by, there were only two people in a dining room fit for 100 people. Even when I walked across the courtyard with a staff member and asked if we still needed to make reservations for dinner, he said he would have to check with the chef. (With two in the dining room, I'm not sure what that was all about). It seems the staff did not understand how to accommodate guests, so thankfully google was able to find us the Moose Café about 15 minutes away and we dined there.
Having said all that, our room in the main level of the motel was extremely clean, the air conditioner seemed very clean, as did the small refrigerator. Our bed seemed very new and was extremely comfortable however, there was no coffee maker nor microwave. The TV got a good variety of channels. We were able to sit in the evening outside in chairs and watch the boats on the river which was within 10 feet. However, it would be best to sit in the morning watching the river as the heat of the late afternoon sun was too hot and as soon as the sun went down the mosquitos were out.
I thought we would stay at the Algonquin Lakeside Inn next year as it is much less expensive than staying inside Algonquin Park. Now I'll have to check with Trip Advisor come end of June and see if things are still going down hill or if things have improved for most people

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Where do I start? Filthy room - dusty, mildewy. Slimy, uncleaned filters in the spa bath which left black bits in the water, and, to make it worse, once we had unscrewed the filter to expose the black slime, the housekeeping staff did not clean it when they changed the towels and there was no way it could be missed.
'Ant trap' under the bathroom sink had more than just ants on it - black beetles. Also dead black beetle on the carpet in the wardrobe and a live one that fell out of a rolled up towel.
The dust on the TV cabinet was so thick that I was able to write 'clean me' in it. We were in room 17 - no lake view. In fact no view at all as two windows had stained glass in them and the other was so overgrown with plants that we couldn't see out. It is right next to the bridge where construction work starts at 6:55am. We didn't fancy eating in at the hotel after seeing the state of the bathroom but we were charged for breakfasts which we did not have. Once pointed out, we were reimbursed for this.
The hotel website states a child free policy but this is not accurate, children are accepted although the management seemed unaware that their website had this inaccuracy.
To sum up: dark, dingy and dirty - a real disappointment as this could be a fabulous hotel in a wonderful location. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Avoid room 17 - it is in the basement and has no view out of any of the windows.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank sbutler2
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

To start, the stairs leading up to the room were unsafe. There are in desperate need of repair. The room had the basic essentials. However, it was dusty and the bed was the worth bed I've ever slept in. My husband and I were rolling towards each other (the middle) all night. My neck and shoulder haven't been the same since. We waited over 10 minutes to check out while one gentleman working served the entire restaurant. Finally a different gentlemen checked us out. It appears the two of them were running the entire Inn. They were pleasant but it was disappointing and frustrating stay. We typically stay at Blue Spruce across the river, however they had no vacancies. We now know why! We'll never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Dawn F
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This morning my Aunt passed away, my father's sister. My partner and I were scheduled to come to the Inn for a three day get away starting Saturday which has now been the designated day for the wedding. I called booking.com to cancel the booking. I was aware of the cancellation fee. In light of my Aunt's passing, Booking.com agent called the Inn to see if they would waive the cancellation fee of $99 which represents the cost of the first day. The manager of the Inn refused. I understand its a business they are running but ... How sad!! How disappointing!! How frustrating!! Never will I book with them or offer others an opportunity to book with them. No heart!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank KCFoodLover
Orillia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The owners and staff are very kind and accommodating. Our suite overlooked the river and it was very peaceful and serene. The room was very clean and suitably appointed with pine furniture and the most comfortable pillows I have ever laid my head on! Our daughters had their own room that didn't overlook the river, but it too was very clean and cozy. We had breakfast and dinner in the dining room and the serving sizes were plenty and very tasty. I would come back here again!!

Room Tip: ask for a river view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
The Lake of Bays Lodge
Deerhurst Resort
Deerhurst Resort
#3 of 18 in Huntsville

Been to Algonquin Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!