“Dreadful, Well Below Expectations...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Glencoe Inn

The Glencoe Inn
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Dreadful, Well Below Expectations...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

After receiving the lovely brochure we decided to try Crerar hotels (3) of them for a few days away for my 50th birthday. We arrived in Glencoe and nearly drove past the hotel as it looks nothing like the photo in the brochure (obviously taken from the "good" side). we parked the car at the front of the hotel, the entrance was very grubby in appearance inside was very tired and needing an upgrade...Manager was very pleasant and gave us our key to the room, Wow ..NOT what I expected window was broken.. could not secure the window due to the handle being snapped off (leaving unpainted mark) - the hinge was completely shattered and the snapped piece of wood just hanging from the hinge..manager did not know of the damage... really not what we expected. Manager never came to the room to see the damage.
Bathroom was in need of update, shower curtain badly discoloured.....we asked to be moved.
Room 2
Again not what expected.... bathroom was horrible, floor tiles in need of re grouting, shower curtain badly discoloured ...dirty marks on the walls...
Spoke to manager explaining we were not staying and moved onto another hotel, he did not charge us.
Very disapointed and ok perhaps for backpackers and certainly not luxurious this should be added to the comments on the brouchure and feel we were misled.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bax104
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor, I would most sincerely apologise if you felt that you were misled in any way. I can assure you that this is in no way our usual standards of operation and I have discussed your comments with the relevant team members.We do pride ourselves on offering great service and great hospitlaity which is borne out by the majority of our reviews and I would again apolgise that we let you down.Kind Regards Nigel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

Stayed here a few nights in June and found the experience a memorable and enjoyable one. For us, the most endearing feature of this hotel is the staff - their helpfullness and friendliness is evident from the moment you walk in the door, greeted by the Manager, Nigel, and continues through dinner and into the evening.
Recently refurbished, the hotel offers very comfortable accommodation, which is informal, with a subtle hint of scottish tartan fabrics in the furnishings and an understated natural feel.
The restaurant is very comfortable and uncrowded, lending itself to an informal dining experience with very good value, freshly cooked and locally sourced produce and the prices compare favourably with local competitors. To avoid disappointment, would advise to make a booking as the restaurant was popular, even mid week. The breakfast is particularly fulfilling and offers a great choice, ranging from fresh fruit through to the full scottish cooked breakfast - a must for anyone needing fuel to tackle the surrounding mountains !!
Ideally located - a stones throw from Loch Leven, over looked by the Pap of Glencoe and a short drive or a longer walk into the Pass of Glencoe and it's incredible landscape. Many of the staff live locally, can tell many a tale of local history and can guide you if asked.
In agreement with the most recent reviews posted about this hotel, we would certainly recommend a visit here and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over Loch Leven
Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BevC9
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Wow what a fabulous review!Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor,the entire team at Glencoe pride themselves on providing our guests with good old fashioned hospitality and service and it is fantastic when their endeavours are recognised.Once again thank you for the great review and i look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.Kind Regards Nigel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

Arriving to a warm and friendly welcome from the lady on reception. Upgraded to the sea view room. The room was very spacious and nicely decorated, the bathroom decor was a bit tired and out dated, although this was clean. Hotel is in a great location for trips to Glen Coe, Kinlochleven and Fort William. Breakfast and Dinner were both excellent (especially loved the raspberry cheesecake!).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavesTravelReviews
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor, my team are constantly striving to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay and a memorable visit to Glencoe.I will pass your comments on to the team.Kind Regards Nigel
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

My friend and I drove up the west coast of Scotland and down the east coast making several stops along the way. The Glencoe Hotel is by far the most memorable to me. It really now holds a special place for me and I will most certainly be back someday. Dot and the rest of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful; the room was beautiful as was our view from the room and outside the hotel. The beer was great and the food was out of this world.

I am from a place where seafood chowder is famous (Boston) and I could not get over how much better the seafood soup was than any I've ever tasted before. The rest of the food was equally as delightful for me. All I can say is thank you...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank VincentMG
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
What a fabulous review,I am so pleased that you had a pleasant experience and that the hotel played its part in your holiday.It is very gratifying to receive feedback on our services and hospitality.I will pass your comments on to the team.I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Regards Nigel
Ulverston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Although this was only a one night stay, we were made very welcome. The staff were most obliging, helpful and friendly and the restaurant represented good value for money. Full marks to Jackie and her team.

John & Carolyn Dennis
Baycliff, Cumbria. UK

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dennis145_11
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your satisfaction.I will pass on your very kind comments to my team.Thank you for placing your review on trip advisor.Kind Regards Nigel
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We received the warmest welcome we have ever had when we walked through the door, a refreshing change from some places. The manager, Nigel, welcomed us personally and every member of staff we met did the same. Nothing was too much trouble from borrowing a paper to getting printed directions for our next destination. Dinner was good, breakfast was excellent, I noticed people asking for and getting things that were not on the menu. As I said, nothing seemed too much trouble. The staff seem very happy to be there, Nigel must be doing a cracking job. Location was great, view superb, room clean. The only negative for me is that I don't like dogs in the dining room but that would be a plus for some people, and to be fair I didn't ask to be moved. I would not hesitate to stay here again and if this hotel is an example of the Crerar Hotel chain I will definately be trying the others. Thank you Nigel and your staff and Nigel (I know you read all these), that beach was wonderful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scarabmate
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Wow,what a fabulous review.Thank you so much for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor.It is always very gratifying to receive first hand feedback on the service and hospitality being offered to our guests in the hotel.My team will be delighted with your comments as they are constantly striving to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable and memorable visit not only to the hotel but to the destination of Glencoe.Im pleased you took time to visit Cuil Bay it is a special place.Once again many thanks Nigel
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Turned up unannounced at the Glencoe Hotel. Needed rooms for 7 charity cyclists who had cycled down from Inverness. Nigel, the manager could not have been more helpfull. Sorting out the number of required rooms without hesitation. He also provided secure storage for the bikes which was a great help. We had a meal in the restaurant that evening.All seven meals brought to our table were very good. The high standard of service continued throughout the night. Special mention to Julie who could not do enough for us but without being overbearing. Her enthusiasm for customer service knows no bounds. The rooms were clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Showers could do with a bit more pressure mind! The high standards of service and quality of food continued at breakfast. Sadly our group were only there for the one night. Congratulations to Nigel and all the team. CRANKS - Charity Riders Aiding Needy Kids.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ferrero1711
NigelBirdManager, General Manager at The Glencoe Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
What a fabulous review!I am delighted that the hotel was able to assist in offering a shelter for the night to a group of weary travellers on a crusade.You are to be commended on the charity work you are doing.I am delighted that you had a relaxing overnight break and that my team looked after you so well.You should come back to visit us in Glencoe on a holiday rather than ride through and enjoy not only the spectacular scenery the area has to offer but also to try some of the great selection of outdoor activities which are on our doorstep.Thank you for the review.Kind Regards Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glencoe Village
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
The Loch Leven Hotel
The Loch Leven Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Ballachulish

Been to The Glencoe Inn? Share your experiences!