“Bad Deal”

Ranked #2 of 3 Ecclefechan B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“Bad Deal”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The Hotel Inspectors Ruth Watson and Alex Polizzi would have a real challenge here. I cannot believe having read the reviews that this is the same place we stayed. They say that first impressions are everything. We arrived about 1745 to check in, but the reception was deserted..well apart from a model sitting on the sofa by the fireplace (see photo), and another couple of statues by the door. I noticed that on the website all the clutter has been removed for the photographs.The reception desk was extremely untidy with no organisation obvious. We rang the bell a few times over the next 15 minutes and more, and we wandered around checking the bar and the dining room, but there was no one responding. Eventually John, the proprietor came in with Louis the dog, and asked if no one was attending to us !!
Our room was passable .. there had been some attempts to cover some marks and cracks with a different colour of emulsion, or they had started to redecorate and had been interrupted. The shower was above the bath and was a good shower with good pressure but was let down by the shower curtain which tended to have a life of its own. No need for these awful curtains when you can buy a decent glass screen for under a £100 and can be fitted with reasonable level of diy skills and a drill in under an hour.
We were on a KGB deal which indicated that we would have a 3 course meal on the first night with starters up to the value of £4.50, mains up to £10.95 and desserts up to £4.50. From that information we would have expected to be on the a la carte menu and would be able to select from that and pay any additional amounts, but no, we were handed on check in a table d'hote menu with a limited choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. I asked about upgrading and was told that 'this is how we do it', and that they had 200 people on the deal before us and I was the first to question it. However he did agree to upgrading. When we came down for dinner I asked if there was a wine list and was told to go behind the bar and choose what wine I wanted...there was no indication what the prices were. The wines I chose on the two nights we were there were both a reasonable £12.00 each.
I noticed from previous reviews that John refers to his team, but over the two nights we were there John attended to the reception, served breakfast, served food and drink in the bar, took dinner orders and served dinner, and the only time that we saw another person was when Louis puked on the breakfast carpet and John called on presumably his wife to clean it up.
Notes of drinks purchased and food orders are taken on scrap paper and you are not given a bill on check out. When we got home and tallied up what we reckoned we should have paid we believed that we had been overcharged by just over £15.00. We raised this with John by email but did not get a response.
The dinners were ok but not good enough that we would ever consider popping in for a meal when we were passing.
The breakfasts are continental and I would rate this the worst continental breakfast I have experienced. There are cereals and fruit and yoghurts and some cheese and meats. The first morning we were given a basket of toast and croissants, but on the second day we only got the toast... we presumed that they did not have croissants, but when we were finished we noticed that a couple who had just come in to the dining room had croissants and toast..weird.

I'm glad that we had not paid the full price as we would have been even more dissapointed.
Not a place that we will ever return to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Good Morning,

Firstly let me say that I was most disappointed & upset to read your review, and somewhat surprised that you did not bring this to my attention during your stay with us, as it would have given me the opportunity to rectify the issues you have conveyed.
As you have seen the reviews of our hotel are consistently of a high rating, but clearly you found our Hotel & hospitality not to your liking, in that regard I would like to ask you to contact the Hotel directly, and specifically myself in relation to the "overcharging" issue you have raised. I would not have intentionally overcharged a guest who has resided in my property, and if you feel that you have been overcharged I will refund the amount to you.
Our Hotel retains all of its period charm, and historical value and is somewhat quirky in its presentation, clearly your preference of property to holiday in is somewhat different to what we have to offer.
I would just like to reiterate that I am deeply saddened by your somewhat disillusionment during your stay with us, but my offer of a refund to the value you have intimated in your review is on offer too you, should you contact me directly.

Kindest Regards

John Sargeant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here on 23april for three nights, with my brother and wife on a KGB deal. All I can say was it was fabulous from the moment we walked in to when we left. The hosts John and Babs(Louis the dog)made us feel very welcome home from home, nothing was to much bother. Homemade food was very good(thanks Babs) our rooms were very clean and had everything we needed.It was a pleasure to meet you all,we will hopefully be back to see you thanks from the four of us. Cheers 200 out of a 100!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Firstly thank you so much for your kind review, and as always Louis our dog gets a mention, at least we got a small piece of the glory too!
We always aim to welcome every guest in the same manner, and our intention is for you to feel like Kirkconnel Hall is indeed a home from home, and I am so glad we succeeded.
I will pass your comments on to our team, and I do indeed hope we will see you all soon.
scotland
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The food was all homemade and fabulous. The owners of the hotel were lovely and very accommodating. It was like home from home. Would we return. Oh yes:)

• Stayed April 2013
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. Our aim is to make our Hotel a home from home and Im so glad we succeeded to do this in your case.
We hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

What I delightful place, full of history made we want to explore every part of it.
John was an excellent attentive host made us feel most welcome.
Food was very good serviced quickly and always hot. Continental breakfast was good.
Log fires were lovely and welcoming as the weather was very cold
Bedroom, bathroom like the rest of the hotel were spotlessly clean..
Would certainly return and recommend this hotel for a short break.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review, I am always pleased to receive a mention on Trip Advisor (especially if the remarks are good!!!!!)
We aim to be hospitable and welcoming to every guest that walks through our door, and we are ver ypleased you found that to be the case, and we hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a lovely Quirky place!

We were made to feel welcome from the start to the finish of our stay. John and his wife are lovely it was Home from Home! The food was very good and continental breakfast was quite enough, filling. Lovely grounds for our dog to run around in and she made a lovely friend in Louis the Shitzu.

Thanks for a nice stay :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind review, and all our team are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, especially that Louis our dog was at his most hospitable best, he's definitely our greatest asset it would appear!!!!!
We hoep to see you again in the future!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and i booked a two night stay for my in-laws at the hotel and they were delighted with their 2 night stay. The staff could not do enough to make sure they were welcome and looked after. My in-laws had a meal on the first night of the visit and confirmed that the food was excellent, as was the breakfast each morning. Beautiful old hotel and gardens. Would certainly recommend for a peaceful break away.

Room Tip: Room to side of hotel had excellent view of gardens.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review, all the team at the Kirkconnel Hall Hotel are pleased your in-laws enjoyed their stay.
If you could pass on our thanks for them forwarding this kind review and that we hope to see them again the future that would be very much appreciated.
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My daughter booked this for me and my wife, when we called to book John was more than helpful
We arrived Friday night and were greeted by a warm freindly host once settled we had dinner in the lounge area the food was very nice and fresh
The hotel is steeped in family/ local history this is a hotel for a quiet break rooms were large warm very clean and on suite was very clean lots of hot water for a great shower (had to turn temp down)
John made the weekend with his friendly and helpfull charm
Would recommend also excellently placed for travel to Lockerbie or Gretna

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JohnSargeant, Owner at Kirkconnel Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hello again!

Im so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, it is indeed our in intention to greet everyone with a hospitable and warm welcome, even if the weather outside is chilly!

We do hope that you visit us again in the future, and we will ensure thewater is as hot as it was this time for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ecclefechan
Cressfield Country Hotel
Ravenshill House Hotel
Ravenshill House Hotel
#5 of 7 in Lockerbie
The Corner House Hotel

Been to Kirkconnel Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!