“Friendly hotel, great with dogs and good food”
Review of Ecclefechan Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ecclefechan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Ecclefechan B&B and Inns
Matlock
“Friendly hotel, great with dogs and good food”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This must be one of the friendliest hotels I have ever stayed in! Within a few minutes of arriving our dog had been given dog treats; we were shown our room by family members who are justifiably very proud of the new renovations, we had an excellent bar meal, again with family checking that we were happy with everything. The breakfast was one of the best I have had in a reasonably priced hotel. I know that renovation work was being carried out at the hotel but it in no way detracted from the quality of the stay. would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Buckie, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

this is probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in . At present it is under renovation The work had no impact on our stay here.. The standard of renovation is very impressive . This is a family run hotel and a wonderful family they are too. The rooms are fantastic . Nice ,clean and well serviced. The breakfast was good quality and plentiful . I cant fault this hotel and staff in any way . I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel .Great value for money.

Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Never completed a review before in our lives but we just had to let you in on what a wonderful stay we enjoyed at Ecclefechan Hotel. We stayed the night on the way from Newcastle Airport back home to the Highlands on the final night of our honeymoon.
We received a warm welcome from the Kelly family. The hotel is spotless, rooms are modern and spacious, Mary's Meals are delicious and Joe's Japes are great craic.
Would like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to Mary and Joe and Stephen for the best hospitality we have ever experienced and we're looking forward to coming back soon.
PS. I had a lump in my throat leaving you lot!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed as a family of 3 plus a large dog. We were personally welcomed in the car park by one of the owners and were placed in 2 very comfortable, modern rooms. Although the hotel is being updated, the works did not impact on any aspect of the stay. We decided to eat in the bar and the food was excellent value and very good indeed. The dog was looked after extremely well and enjoyed the many treats that he received. Overall, a very warm, friendly hotel that offers excellent value for money. We unreservedly recommend it.

1 Thank KevinSmith186284
Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were a family of four who had been to France on holiday and were travelling up to the Highlands from Euro Tunnel. We had been using motorway services to stop for refreshments etc and were thoroughly sick and tired of the impersonal and sometimes extremely poor facilities available. We were at our wits end when we decided to pull in at Ecclefechan in hope of finding some pub grub. I cannot tell you how ecstatic we were to get such a warm and welcoming reception! We were ushered to a table and soft drinks ordered and delivered immediately. We ordered four different meals which were all delivered freshly cooked and hot. We cannot speak highly enough about the friendly reception plus the quality of the food. They completely restored our faith in good hospitality. We left with a warm glow and will definitely return. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Do not be put off by the exterior.The whole hotel is being refurbished. You will enjoy being looked after by Joseph and Mary and in this case there is no question of there being no room at the Inn and you having to sleep in the stable. The bedrooms are excellent and a sign of the standard of improvement being set for the rest of the establishment. Wonderful value for money with good cooking from Mary. You might even be lucky and enjoy an impromptu cabaret with Joe on his guitar.Would I stay there again ?. YES. YES. YES.
John
Mumbles, Swansea

Room Tip: Frint of house is good for viewing the comings and goings in Ecclefechan but any room is OK
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have recently completed an End-to-End cycle ride, and this is one of the B&Bs I stayed in. My plan was to stay in privately owned facilities, rather than chains.

On arrival, my cycle was quickly secured in the garage. I was shown to my room, which was simple, spacious, airy, with lots of light and new furniture and linens. The bar and restaurant service were great. I was made to feel welcome, and that nothing would be too much trouble for the family that own/run the hotel. I went to bed early (9pm on a Saturday) and did not hear a thing from the bar, despite it being busy with a very welcoming crowd of regulars
It is clear that the hotel has been under some refurbishment, and that it is still a work in progress, but it is still a great facility with great character and personality. I rate this hotel as a “Good” to “Very good” facility in June 2013, and I’m sure that by this time next year the ratings will all be excellent – hence the five star rating. It is good value for money and when I travel north again, the Ecclefechan Hotel will be on my list of places to stay. Highly recommended

Room Tip: If you need a twin, the top floor room is worth the extra flight of stairs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RMJ1066
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ecclefechan
Cressfield Country Hotel
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green
Greens at Gretna
Greens at Gretna
#2 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Ecclefechan Hotel? Share your experiences!