“Room at the inn.”

Ranked #1 of 3 Ecclefechan B&B and Inns
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Room at the inn.”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Do not be put off by the exterior.The whole hotel is being refurbished. You will enjoy being looked after by Joseph and Mary and in this case there is no question of there being no room at the Inn and you having to sleep in the stable. The bedrooms are excellent and a sign of the standard of improvement being set for the rest of the establishment. Wonderful value for money with good cooking from Mary. You might even be lucky and enjoy an impromptu cabaret with Joe on his guitar.Would I stay there again ?. YES. YES. YES.
John
Mumbles, Swansea

Room Tip: Frint of house is good for viewing the comings and goings in Ecclefechan but any room is OK
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have recently completed an End-to-End cycle ride, and this is one of the B&Bs I stayed in. My plan was to stay in privately owned facilities, rather than chains.

On arrival, my cycle was quickly secured in the garage. I was shown to my room, which was simple, spacious, airy, with lots of light and new furniture and linens. The bar and restaurant service were great. I was made to feel welcome, and that nothing would be too much trouble for the family that own/run the hotel. I went to bed early (9pm on a Saturday) and did not hear a thing from the bar, despite it being busy with a very welcoming crowd of regulars
It is clear that the hotel has been under some refurbishment, and that it is still a work in progress, but it is still a great facility with great character and personality. I rate this hotel as a “Good” to “Very good” facility in June 2013, and I’m sure that by this time next year the ratings will all be excellent – hence the five star rating. It is good value for money and when I travel north again, the Ecclefechan Hotel will be on my list of places to stay. Highly recommended

Room Tip: If you need a twin, the top floor room is worth the extra flight of stairs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RMJ1066
Shipley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I stopped here for lunch on our way to Glasgow for the start of our 8 day break in the highlands. Although they do not usually open untill 4.pm, we found the door open and a warm welcome within. They had obligingly opened to accomodate a party for lunch so we were able to take advantage of their hospitality, and very hospitable they were too. We lunched on 'fechan burger' and fries with fresh salad, all freshly cooked to order and washed that down with a pint o real ale which they tell me changes fairly regularly. A good pint it was too. They are on the cusp of renovations and once these are complete, this will be a place to visit once again as it 's just about half way from Yorkshire. Malcolm S Stott 7/10

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We called in here based on the fact that it was roughly half way to our destination, we were hungry and who could ignore the awesome name of the town..???
We weren't expecting how pretty Ecclefechan is to start off with - it is a really lovely place to visit and we may have to book in a stop in the future, to perhaps stay here - lovely feel to the town.
The hotel served a reasonably sized menu with decent prices and none of us could pass up on the Fechan burger - served with chips. The whole meal was really quite good and would rival any big town burger offering.
The staff were really pleasant and co-owner Steve had a nice chat with us which was a nice country touch.
Would defiinitely recommend stopping in here for some food as you pass by - it only is a minute off the highway.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Swindon
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is our fourth stay at this hotel and the quality & friendly hosts (Joe, Mary, Steve and Denise) made us feel welcome as always. The food is first class. The comfortable rooms were spotless.
We will be back at the end of May.
Thank you!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night only, and really enjoyed our stay. The hosts are incredibly warm and friendly and there is a real family vibe about the place. The charm of the hotel and hosts is what keeps people going back, I'm sure. We had an early start the following day so could only stay in the bar area for a couple of drinks, however after speaking to a guy at breakfast it would appear there was much fun had by all!!! We would recommend this hotel to anyone, and we will use the hotel again if we are ever needing a halfway house.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stopped in Ecclefechan to seek out the famous tart and stumbled across the Ecclefechan Hotel. We had a brilliant friendly welcome and the tart was excellent too! Highly recommended as a stopover on a long journey as not far from the motorway at all

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ecclefechan
Cressfield Country Hotel
#3 of 4 in Gretna Green
Greens at Gretna
Greens at Gretna
#2 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Ecclefechan Hotel? Share your experiences!