“views/fiendly”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
whitehaven
“views/fiendly”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

booked this hotel for friday and saturday night beginning of june 2012. payed extra for a sea view/suite. the suite had a bay window in the bedroom with a comfy 2-seater sofa and a chair also tea making facilities. (beware the water for a bath/shower is luke warm ? temp regulators)The staff were very very helpful/friendly/approachable. The hotel was clean and newly decorated but there wasn't a lift. very central for whitleybay and Tynemouth village and mega on-the-level walks for miles along the beautiful seafront. we stayed bed and breakfast. Breakfast was hot well cooked english. The hotel did offer basic bar meals but we chose to eat out. there is an indian restaurant/take-away just across the road but for full evening meals I would suggest a 15min walk to tynemouth village or a short taxi ride into North Shields. I would book this hotel again but only if I was willing to pay extra for the suite/sea view which was fantastic. Next door to sealife aquarium and minature golf course and long sandy beaches aplenty!

Room Tip: Go for a seaview suite/premier double
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather B
Admin_Park_Hotel, Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay here at The Park Hotel and for your review. We are pleased that you liked the room and enjoyed your stay with us, our sea view rooms are great as Tynemouth Longsands is pretty spectacular.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards
Katharine
Front Of House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Stockport, England
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The wife and I stayed one night at the Park Hotel Tynemouth as part of a short weekend break, to Durham and Holy Island, courtesy of National Holidays for which we were charged the princely sum of £59 each. The tour took in Durham on the Saturday and Holy Island and Seahouses on the Sunday with a drive through Bamburgh en route. All in all a decent itinerary in, what I consider to be, a very beautiful part of the country.
This is the first time that I’ve ever read terrible reviews about a hotel and still decided to stay there. I guess it gives my review a degree of perspective as well as highlighting the differing expectations of previous reviewers. What follows is an honest account of what we found at the hotel and hopefully includes all the relevant information you would require in order to make a judgement on whether this hotel is right for you.
On arrival, after a journey that was prolonged due to Bank Holiday traffic, my first impression was that the hotel looked nice enough but perhaps a little tired. It is a very attractive ‘art deco’ style building that had seen better days due, mainly, to its coastal location. It must be very difficult to keep the exterior in tip-top condition when it is constantly being sandblasted by the unforgiving North Sea winds. So Ok, the ever so slightly shabby exterior is forgivable and it is still possible to see what a beautiful building it must have been in its heyday. The location, however, is fabulous with magnificent sea views and an enviable beach front position. There is a beer garden at the front of the hotel with ample bench-style seating and direct access to the hotel’s Parker’s Bar. Just to one side of the hotel is boating lake and crazy golf while on the other side is the Blue Reef Aquarium. The main thing that stands out though is the, aforementioned, fantastic view. Let’s hope our request for a sea view room has been granted. The coach pulls up at the side of the hotel in a fairly large car park and the entrance is up a few steps although there is also a ramp for anyone who requires it. Looking towards the back of the hotel it is apparent that there has been a later extension added and this part of the building does look fresher and more modern. As we entered the hotel it was obvious that this is not the main entrance as there was no reception area. Straight ahead was the food servery, to the right was the aforementioned Parker’s Bar and to the left were the restaurant areas. As is the norm, on National trips, the check-in is fast and efficient with our room keys being laid out on the pool table just inside the door. We had been allocated room 213 on the first floor and after being directed to the stairs we made our way, with some slight trepidation, to the room. The somewhat tired appearance of the hotel continued inside although it did appear clean enough. One thing to note was how warm it was in the stairways and on the first floor landing. The heating was definitely on and, has it happened, was probably unnecessary due to the fabulous Bank Holiday weather.
We unlocked the bedroom door and were immediately assailed by the smell of fresh paint. Some degree of renovation had obviously just been completed. The smell was not too strong and didn’t affect our night’s sleep as it happened. First impressions of the room were that it was large, clean and, most importantly, had the requested sea view. The furnishings were nothing fancy and were more functional than aesthetically pleasing but this was fine by us. We didn’t really expect to spend much time in the room anyway. There is a smallish wardrobe and two small bedside cabinets providing additional storage. The interesting thing was the layout of the room with the TV, dressing table and chair being on a raised area of the room nearest to the window. The bathroom was immediately on the left as we entered the room and was again fairly large. There is a full-sized bath with over bath shower, a sink and also a rather small pedestal. Soaps and shower gels were in plentiful supply and, once again, everything appeared clean albeit not in top notch condition. Back to the main room, the bed was huge and I suspect it was probably two singles pushed together. It was not particularly modern looking but it was comfortable enough and the bedding was clean. Two pillows each were supplied and appeared to be of decent quality. The brew facilities were on the dresser next to the window and supplies were ample with good quality biscuits. Again, like in the hallways, the heating was on and the first thing we did was to turn it off. The room was quite warm and judging by the position of the sun, we would be awakened by the heat of the sunrise fairly early in the morning. The windows were enormous and afforded fantastic sea views but only one tiny section actually opened for ventilation. I can imagine this being an issue at the height of summer with the sun bearing down on the glass for a full day making the room uncomfortably hot at night. As it happened it was fairly warm during our nights stay but not so hot that it prevented sleep. The carpets seemed on the old side but were not dirty and we never worried about walking round in bare feet. Yes the floorboards creaked but so what, it is a fairly old building. All in all we had no complaints whatsoever about the room although some previous reviews would have you believe differently. Whether we were just lucky and the other rooms were worse than ours I can’t say but we were happy enough. Please remember, if you’re paying £59 each for the trip, you’re not going to be staying at the Hilton. It’s £59 for a reason and if you temper you’re expectations to suit you will not feel the need to complain because there is a coffee stain on the dresser or some dust on the top of the door. Get real people.
At check-in we had been advised of the meal times and dinner was at 6pm which didn’t really give us any time for our customary recce of the local area. That would have to wait, it was time to see what the food and service was like. When we arrived at our designated restaurant area it was obvious that there was not enough room, at ten past six there was a bum on every seat so to speak. We were forced to share with another coach party and felt a little like intruders due to the fact that they had been there for longer than us and probably had their usual seats. Anyway, where we sat was pretty much an irrelevance, what mattered was the food. First course choices were vegetable soup, melon and for the life of me I can’t remember the third option. As it happened we both opted for the soup and it was served with a warm crusty roll. Incidentally the first course and sweet is waiter served and the main is via the carvery. The soup was edible but not very good and had the distinct taste of having come from a packet. The melon looked good and I think we both made a mistake by not choosing it. Main course time, let the queuing begin. On the carvery there was a choice of roast pork, cod in parsley sauce or cheese topped cottage pie. It seemed like everyone went for the pork and, despite the best efforts of the server, the queues were seemingly never ending. It didn’t help that he seemed to be running the hotel single handed and had to keep leaving his pork carving duties to sort out something elsewhere in the hotel. It was, in truth, pretty chaotic and tempers were being raised slightly although I thought the best thing to do was just laugh. The accompaniments were extremely dubious roast potatoes, which were hot but had never seen a roasting tin let alone been in one, green beans, cauliflower cheese and gravy. The pork was really tasty but was let down badly by the hot, hard potatoes and the lack of apple sauce or stuffing. The dessert choices were rhubarb crumble with custard, fruits of the forest cheesecake and ice cream. I opted for the cheesecake and the wife for the crumble. The cheesecake was hideous and barely edible while the crumble looked great and, according to the wife, tasted good too. All in all dinner was a disappointing affair and had we known what it was going to be like we may well have ventured to the Indian Restaurant just down the road. Unlike my opinion of the room being a polar opposite to many other reviewers I’m afraid I have to concur with some of the poor food ratings. We didn’t stick around for tea or coffee and instead made our way outside to complete our, earlier postponed, look-see of the locale. After an invigorating walk down the coast to Tynemouth Priory, taking in the breathtaking coastal views, it was time to hit the bar.
On entry to the Parker’s Bar it was obvious that it was full with not a decent seat to be had. We did manage to grab two bar stools and sat down to listen to the, somewhat unanticipated, entertainment. He was a local singer and rubbish joke teller who sang songs that only you’re parents would appreciate. He definitely catered for the older generation and at 52 I don’t include myself in that group just yet. He was OK and did at least try to get the audience involved. The bar stools were very uncomfortable and after about an hour we decided to go for another walk in the hope that some of the main seating may become available in the meantime. On our return the seats were still full, the guy was still crooning and threatening us with George Formby so we sat on the bar stools again. The pain in my rear would more hopefully mask the pain in my ears. Surely it was past the bedtimes of some of these old folk. Eventually we got decent seats around 11pm just before the singer wrapped up for the night. The beer on offer was OK depending on your taste with Tetley bitter, Carling, San Miguel, Guinness and Woodpecker cider all available on draught. The wine selection was poor if you wanted it served by the glass with only ‘house’ wines available. Full bottles of ‘proper’ wine could be purchased for reasonable prices if desired. The choice of bottled beers was very poor and the fridges were sparsely populated. Prices, on the whole, were pretty reasonable and only the absence of a decent cider spoiled it for me.
We turned in around 11-30pm and headed upstairs to our warm, paint scented room for a good night’s sleep after what had been a fairly long day. As previously stated the bed was comfortable and the bedding and pillows were clean and of decent quality. In the morning the sun was streaming through the curtains at stupid o’clock and that was my queue to get out with my camera. So at 6-15am I left the hotel and this time walked up the coast to the next town, Cullercoats, and very picturesque it was too. The wife took advantage of the peace and quiet to have a lie-in although on my return she was mumbling about being too hot and why wasn’t there a blackout curtain fitted. Minor inconveniences and not an issue for a perennial early riser like me.
Time for breakfast and hopefully an improvement on last night’s fiasco. This time there were cereals, fruit juice, fresh fruit, toast and jams on offer as well as porridge and the usual cooked breakfast items. All were served buffet style although I got the impression that it was fruit juice OR cereal and not both. I may have this wrong though as I dived straight into the cooked items. There was bacon, sausage, fried and scrambled eggs, baked beans, fried bread and tinned tomatoes. No mushrooms, black pudding or hash browns much to my disappointment but what there was, was of good quality especially the bacon. There didn’t appear to be any limits as to how much you could have so I had my fill accompanied by some freshly made toast. The toasters are just simply domestic ones and do take quite a long time to toast the bread. Tea and coffee were served at the table. Once again seating was an issue and the members of the other coach party seemed a bit more protective of their area after last night’s invasion. We managed to find seats with a nice couple from our coach and really quite enjoyed the whole breakfast experience.
It was soon time to go so we retired upstairs to pack and get ready for the off. It had been a decent stay with not too much to complain about and certainly this hotel is not the hell-hole that some reviewers would have you believe. Don’t come here expecting 5 star because it isn’t, take cognisance of the price you are paying, temper your expectations to suit and you won’t be disappointed.
Just a few final thoughts. The reception is at the other side of the hotel from where the coach parked and doesn’t appear to be manned very often. The hotel has a function room near the back of the building which is used for weddings and it does result in the bar being extra busy. We couldn’t hear any noise from our room at the front of the hotel but it might be different if your room is round the back. Also the Metro passes close by at the back of the hotel and depending on your room location this may also result in additional noise. All the staff we encountered worked hard and did their best to accommodate the guests with smiles on their faces especially Joseph, I think his name was, who seemed to be running around doing a bit of everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Room 213 is a good choice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Peter H
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We booked into this hotel as part of a C2C cycle challenge after finding its website. The first problem was that even though we specifically asked there was no where to store our expensive bikes so we had to chain them up in a staff corridor. Then the rooms....
They where honestly the shabbiest, dirtiest rooms we as a collection had ever stayed in!
The breakfast the next morning was worse than at a road side van - swimming in grease, rubbery eggs and cheap white bread and all accompanied by the fact there was only one or two staff around. The hotel has the atmosphere of being on its last legs and even when we complained they argued their case before knocking £10 each off. My advice - avoid at all costs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank tjt463

Travelers are raving about these Tynemouth hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

200 words is not enough for me to write a review of this place, all I can say is £155 pounds for two nights I could have taken my wife to a flea bitten hostel and we would have gotten a better room. to be told we had been up graded to the honeymoon suite and and it was booked three months in advance and rang up two nights before to still be reassured for our wedding night that the room was still available and was just to be paid for and to be downgraded twice (by the manager "Joseph" as he's the only one authorised to do this) from the room we was originally in from the honeymoon suite to a room I can't even start to describe, the room was disguising, filthy beyond belief, no hot water, no electricity, noisy people in the room next to us, noisy porters, no members of staff to complain to had to wait twice one for the deputy manager to arrive then for the manager himself to arrive. Given a key to get washed up in another room (went to see this room was gorgeous felt like we had been transported else were), wasn't allowed to change to that room or any other rooms saying there was no room available, the room we was in windows was disgusting had duct tape around the window stuffed with tissue, coffee stains and tea ring on the floor, dust every where, and what looked like a table cloth as a valance sheet that was ripped along with a six inch nail sticking out the wall it looked like someone had gone in and just threw coffee or tea all over the floor and walls and refused to clean up. waited until the manager came he didn't even have an explanation to what happened wouldn't even see the room and refused to explain why we had been downgraded. needless to say we will not be going back I just feel sorry for two members of staff we know who had helped us sort the honeymoon suit out and tried to sort the complaint out to be shown to make look like idiots by stupid management.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank rayner86
Admin_Park_Hotel, Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We're really sorry to hear that you experienced an unpleasant stay with us.

We take feed back from our guests very seriously and will be looking into your comments futher.

We hope to resolve your issuses and see you in the future.

Kind Regards
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My partner and I got married here 5th April and all I can say is Thank You so much. You's made the day absolutely perfect and Joseph, what a star! The room looked amazing (thanks to Tyne Events), the service was amazing and all staff went out of the way to make sure our day ran smoothly, and it did. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was amazing. The whole day was relaxed and we knew we were in good hands. We had quite a few friends and family stay the Thursday and Friday and we were all made to feel welcome. Honeymoon suite was delightful and the breakfast went down a treat, fry up buffet, yes please.. all the bacon I could eat :) Yes, it isn't the Ritz but I would advise anyone looking for a wedding venue consider this place. No complaints at all, well it would have been better if the day never ended :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrswitchard
Washington
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Daughters recent wedding reception was held at Park Hotel. Joseph, who is main contact for weddings is a hard working, helpful, obliging, humorous individual who played a major part in helping us organise and contributing to the success of this recent event.

The service provided at the wedding was excellent as was the meal.

Sincere thanks to Joseph and all his hard working staff

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sol21
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed the big day so much. Joseph certainly is a character, he does work very hard to ensure everyone getting married here at the hotel has a fantastic day. We would like to wish you and your family all the best for the future and hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,

Anthony
Reviewed April 1, 2013

What an absolute joke!
It is by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed in!
We stayed here Easter weekend while on a short visit to see family.
The whole experience was terrible from start to finish.
When we arrived to check in, there was no one on reception. After waiting for 10 minutes, having 4 members of staff walk straight past us as if we were invisible (one actually removing her nail varnish as she walked past - very classy!) My husband had to phone the out side line to get someone to come to reception. When the receptionist then came through it was actually one of the staff members that had ignored us a few minutes earlier.
After been given our keys for our rooms when walk through damp smelly corridors, that were nothing other than depressing.

The rooms were very dated, but at least the bedding and towels were clean.
You couldn't see out of the windows as they were so filthy.
There was a plastic bag taped to the smoke alarm in the room!!!
The toilet didn't flush properly and we had no hot water in the morning till we complained (having to phone once again on the external line as no one answered on the internal phone)

Breakfast was okay, but yet they were unable to sit us altogether until a kind gentleman offered to move so we could sit together.

When it came to checking out, once again there was no one on reception.

To say it was terrible does not cover it!
We tried to find another hotel but unfortunately none were available.

Under no circumstances would we stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank SophFin
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I will be discussing this review in depth with the owners. There is very little I can say about the comments raised in this review other than apologise and look into the issues raised and get back in touch ASAP.

If you would like to contact me directly about your stay please feel free to do so at anthony@parkhoteltynemouth.co.uk

Kind regards,

Anthony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Little Haven Hotel
#10 of 10 in Whitley Bay
Village Hotel Newcastle
Village Hotel Newcastle
#28 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to The Montagu Park Hotel? Share your experiences!