“Seaview”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Seaview”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Arrived without booking and were pleasantly surprised with the room we were given which had a great view over the beach. Room was spacious and clean with sofa, tv, tea and coffee, hairdryer and trouser press.Towels and bed linen were spotless, shower worked perfectly well. Staff were polite and friendly, breakfast was cooked on order and very large! The room was very warm even with the radiator turned off but easily overcome by sleeping with the window open.Yes there are bits of the hotel which need sprucing up but there was evidence that they are working on that. My only real disappointment was the bed, the mattress was a little on the thin side and could feel every spring, not a great nights sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay here at the hotel and for your review. I am glad that you liked the room, our sea view rooms are great as Tynemouth Longsands is pretty spectacular. I will check out the mattress's in our sea view rooms myself and notify the owners should they need changing.

Anthony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Rotherham
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for one night (2nd March 2013) on a coach trip, it was enough, it must be the noisiest hotel we have ever stayed in. On first sight it looked OK. Good position on the seafront, and a very efficient booking in system so there was very little delay in getting to our room which proved to be good, which is more than be said for some of those given to our fellow travellers. The food was average though the Chef carving was generous with the meat there was very little choice of vegatables and Starter and Dessert course. The walls of the rooms to be very thin and since there was a wedding aprty staying overnight there was a lot of noise from them until well past midnight. There is also the Metro that runs very close to the Hotel from early in the morning until very late at night which did not make for a good nights sleep.
Positive thoughts - the location is great if you like an after dinner stroll along the Promonade. The staff are very nice but it is very much a case of catch as catch can has to whether or not you get a good room. If you do decide to stay there I would advise taking earplugs along with you.

2 Thank SpudRotherham
Thank you for writing your review. You did stay with us on the busiest night of the year so far (2 coach parties and a large wedding) so I do apologise if it was slightly noisy in the hotel. The noise you mentioned about the Metro only effects a small handful of rooms to the rear of the hotel which are used only when the hotel is at maximum capacity. We always try and offer our guests the best rooms we can when available (spacious and sea facing) I am glad that your room was to your liking. I have listed the points in your review and will discuss them with the manager and owners.

Anthony

Travelers are raving about these Tynemouth hotels

Holestone Moor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The towels were lovely, and the hotel is an iconic art deco building in a terrific position, but ...
on arrival, we were asked to pay for our 2 night stay in advance - I've never known that before. We joked that maybe that was to keep us there, but maybe it wasn't a joke!

Our bedroom had a queen size bed, but there was just about a foot of space between the end of the bed and the wardrobe. The mattress was very thin, only about 4-5 inches deep and the duvet just reached each side of the bed, so we had to snuggle up (nice!) The shower in the bathroom wasn't much more than a dribble, there was plenty of watery shower gel but no shampoo!

Not a massive choice of alcohol at the bar - no malt whisky for instance, though there were two boxes (empty) of Balvennie Malt on display! The bar had a massive TV and a games machine. Alright for some, but we wanted peace and quiet.

At breakfast we were greeted by "we've got everything but sausages and baked beans", and it was served by the night porter who was also the bar waiter in the evening. There were some cereals, a jug of milk and a jug of orange juice (not fresh orange juice). The bread for toast was white Sainsbury Basics, still in its wrapper - if it had been nicely displayed in a basket we wouldn't have known. The toaster was one of those where you keep feeding it into the toaster. We put it in about 5 times to get slightly brown toast, by now like cardboard. If we'd wanted brown/wholemeal toast, we'd still be waiting! Our cooked breakfast was ok-ish, and we were given a pot of tea/coffee each.

We were out all day, and returned in the evening to find that there was a bus trip in. In the morning, the hot buffet was on, presumably because of the bus trip. Tea or coffee was served from one pot by the breakfast waiter, who was also the barman and night porter. He was unshaven and had dirty trousers on!

Most of the furniture was way past its best - holes in the ceiling, presumably awaiting repair. There had obviously been some refurbishment, but more could be done with public areas.

The car park was resplendent with collapsed walls, redundant entrance barriers and pot holes.

We checked out at 08.30am!

What a shame - this could be a fabulous hotel, but it needs a lot of investment and love!

Room Tip: Don't bother - try The Grand, as we did for our third and fourth night!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Holestone
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Although this might sound strange but we do appreciate receiving reviews that are negative as well as positive so that changes can be made to areas and issues that are raised by our guests.

I do feel that some of your comments are fair but that others are not justified. You mentioned about paying on arrival; this is a policy we have had to take due to misuse of the hotel and its services by former guests. You failed to mention that we gave you the option of provisionally holding rooms for 2 extra nights due to your family circumstances (I hope everything was OK and that you are celebrating good news). I would like to say that at any time you had an issue with anything at the hotel you could have made us aware of these so that we could rectify the issues. If we could have given you a deluxe (recently refurbished) room we would have at no extra cost however none were available due to a function at the hotel.

I will check the water pressure in the room you stayed in however I feel the size of the mattress and distance between the bed and wardrobe are both adequate in my personal opinion.

You mentioned that you wanted piece and quiet in the bar area and that we have a massive TV and games machine which prevented this. We would have turned the TV off for you if you had asked and the games machine makes no sound at all unless played which is infrequently. Whilst I agree that a few of the bar stools in the bar need to be replaced we have bucket seats and large leather sofas which are in fine condition and extremely comfortable. You mentioned holes in the ceiling? There is one very small area of the bar ceiling which has been temporarily removed due to some refurbishment of the room above which is being changed to a deluxe room.

I will mention your breakfast experience to the manager and owner as a priority.

With regards to the car park - we are currently at the mercy of the weather and our planned functions with regards to the repairs to the pot holes. As with many locations/roads on the North East coast we have had severe weather over the last 2 winters. Work to fix these will commence soon. I would also like to point out that we have an extremely large car park 200+ spaces making the task a large one.

Although I agree with some of your observations I find some to be unfair including the mention of another hotel in this comment which I find alarming. I personally would not mention another venue in any review I was going to write as it feels almost like a plug for another business.

I hope that you are not offended by what I have written but we (the hotel) must also have a chance to voice our opinions in a fair and honest fashion in response to any review given on this site. I would however wish that anyone who stays at the hotel express any problem or concern they have during their stay so that we can improve their experience first hand.

Our hotel has been receiving some great reviews of late, mostly down to the hard work of the staff who are doing everything they can to provide a service whilst refurbishments are taking place. These refurbishments are being carried out in small bursts so as not to disturb guests. Our recent reviews have been extremely positive so I can only say that we are trying but will not please everyone all of the time.

Please feel free to contact me via the hotel website for any further information about our venue and services.

SCOTLAND
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The welcome was excellent , my room couldn't be faulted , the food (lots of it) was tasty & hot , and EVERY member of the staff was wonderful . They couldn't do enough for all of my group . Special mention for Mr Joseph Gomez , a really sincere person .
I am certainly going back . Highly recommended . I am just home , but I wanted to write this review ...... That's how pleased I am . Angus C.M. Condy II . 1651/Fri/08/03/2013 .

Room Tip: I found that one simply had to ASK for advice . As simple as that ! A.C.M.C. II...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank HimselfScotland
Dear Angus,
It was a pleasure to meet you and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure that Joseph is aware of your review as he works very hard to ensure that all guests are looked after. I hope you enjoyed your excursions, I know you are familiar with the area so we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Manchester
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Generally had the appearance of being run down both inside and out, however it was warm (too hot at times) very clean and good traditional food. In the room there was tea making facilities, a TV and a large double bed. The staff were very friendly and as it was part of a coach trip it was good value for money. Fortunately the bar prices were reasonable as the nearest town is 20 minutes walk. Tynmouth is worth the walk as it is full of bars and restaurants and is quite lively at weekend. The hotel is overlooking the beach which I would think is very pleasant in summer.

2 Thank Oldtuggo
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We are undergoing gradual refurbishments at the moment including work to the windows and painting. The weather is not helping these tasks but we are getting there without causing too much disruption to our guests. I agree the heating was too much last weekend and I have mentioned the thermostat controls need to be monitored with the owners to ensure a warm but not too warm temperature. I'm glad that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and yes Tynemouth is a great place all year round with much to offer. I'm glad you found the stay to be good value for money and hope to see you again soon.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We (me & the hubby) had been invited to the wedding of our friends and as the reception was being held at the Montagu Park and living in Huddersfield, we decided to stay overnight.
We pulled up the hotel, which overlooks beach and my first thought was how pretty the building was but the facade looked a tad 'down-at-heel'!! The flaking, patchy whitewash made it look a little tatty but maybe thats just me being overcritical!
We booked in and went to our room which was a standard twin (1 double & a single). It was quite large and the bed was very comfortable although I couldn't quite justify the £70 fee and although it wasn't a problem for me my hubby said the heating was a tad high. Then I went in the bathroom...I dont think its asking too much when spending that sort of money to expect a CLEAN bath, sink and toilet and a bathmat that ISN'T growing a culture of mould!!! (see the pictures). If thats what passes as clean then I would sack housekeeping and who ever passed the room as clean and get new staff, as the basics ie CLEANING, and A.T.D (or Attention To Detail) is something they are sadly lacking. All I can say is Im glad I had brought the antibac wipes! As we were only there for the one night I cleaned
what I needed to use and got ready for our friends reception.
Where the bathroom was the Bad & the Ugly, this was the Good!! The room had been beautifully done and looked amazing, the staff were great, really helpful & friendly. Everybody had a fantastic time and agreed how nice everything was.
Would I stay here again??...yes, although given the room/bathroom standards I would either expect to see a drop in price or a dramatic change in the cleaning & possibly a little longer to get down for breakfast!!

1 Thank DPat_12
I'm glad that you thought the ballroom looked great for the wedding of your friend. We worked closely with Tyne Events and the Disco Co to make the room look extra special for such a wonderfully friendly couple. With regards to the images and comments you have posted about the room I will be discussing these with the owners tomorrow morning ASAP. Everyone is working hard to ensure that all our events and services are up to scratch even with a limited winter staffing. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future, please contact us directly for any requirement.

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here 1st and 2nd March and break was just 'what the doctor ordered' with the invigorating air from the North Sea and the best weather so far this year. Room was spacious and clean, with towels better than any I have previously come across even in 5* hotels. The carvery was excellent - thanks to Potsy for the tastiest gammon I've had in years - and the veg cooked fresh to my liking. All staff were attentive and very helpful, bar prices were very 'accomodating' compared to other hotels where I've stayed. I will certainly be returning to this hotel this year as a base to rediscovering more of the 'haunts' from my youth

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. What a great review, all of your comments will be passed on to the staff and owners. We do think our Carvery is great in taste and value. I hope that we will see you again in the future, please say hello if you are visiting the hotel again.

Anthony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Grand Hotel
#3 of 5 in South Shields
Park Lodge Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
#3 of 9 in Whitley Bay

Been to The Montagu Park Hotel? Share your experiences!