“Lovely location- watch this space!”

The Montagu Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely location- watch this space!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for the great north run. My first impressions were that the hotel was in need of a refurbishment.The check-in experience was helpful. The staff were very attentive; I may be wrong but I got the impression that the they had taken the place over recently and were keen to make a good impression. I had a small single bedroom that hadn't been decorated for some time, though the bathroom was very clean. The rest of the group had a similar experience.
Service at breakfast was efficient, basic but good enough for our run. Rooms are quite reasonably priced. I would be pleased for the owners if they could make some major investment in this place. It has huge potential. It's a little tired but in a fabulous location. The view from a sea-facing room must be wonderful!!

Room Tip: Go for a sea-view room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Rosie,
Many thanks for staying with us here at the hotel. The hotel is going through some changes including room upgrades as well as work to the public areas. So as not to fully disturb the guests this is happening a little bit at a time. The owners of the hotel are interested in improving not only the standard of the rooms but also the standard of customer service. It's good to know that the staff were attentive and helpful - I will pass this on to the owners.

In your review it mentions that you stayed here for the Great North Run - was this your only stay or have you stayed here again recently as this posting has just shown up as Jan 2013? If your stay was in September we have made more improvements since then.

Feedback is always welcome so that we can monitor our progress.

Kind regards,

Anthony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Long Eaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and was very disappointed overall. The food was very poor, there is only a carvery with a choice of 2 meats & 1 other dish. Tough if you were vegetarian. The vegetables were hit & miss. I got my vegetables and the last of the potatoes & there were no more for remaining diners until a couple of tins of potatoes were opened & micro-waved. I was in a party of 5 and the room I was in was great. The room was spacious and clean with a sea view. We were on the ground floor in the newer wing. The other 3 in our party were on the 1st floor and they had very little sleep. There is a scooter convention every year at the hotel over 2 nights with live bands & a disco. The others in my party were above the function room with the music going on till 2 am. The hotel management should put the people attending the convention in the rooms above and in the part of the hotel affected. Another thing not liked is the plates cleared at mealtimes before every-one finished eating & asking if wanted desert before other on table had finished main course.
This is a real shame as the hotel has the potential to be top class. Will not be returning any time soon if ever.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ann K
marketingManager1984, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Ann,
Thank you for bringing these points to our attention. We did indeed have the scooter convention here at the hotel on the weekend of your stay. This was a booking error on our behalf as a previous member of staff dealing with sales and events had been told not to book out rooms for coach trips whilst the event was being held. It was neither beneficial to you or us as we had to turn people from the convention away who required a bedroom on the night. Due to the convention and the sheer number of visitors our staffing would have been stretched which may account for the service you received in the restaurant. I will however bring your comments to the owners attention so that we can improve our service standards. I am surprised by the mention of no vegetarian meal option as we do go out of our way to provide vegetarian options as well as glutton and nut free options for our guests. Did you or your booking company mention this to our staff? We do always have a vegetarian option available. I am glad that your room was satisfactory and hope that you enjoyed the area. If you would like to discuss your stay please feel free to contact us via the details on our website and ask for Anthony.

Travelers are raving about these Tynemouth hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here not long ago and it was amazing. Right on the seafront with an amazing view and our room was lovely. Don't be fooled by the other reviews on the page as although it could do with some renovation it is still a perfect place to stay and drink, as even the bar area is large and seems to be newly decorated with again a great view. The service was outstanding as was the cleanliness as the place was spotless, but most of all the value for money was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank pjc110
Admin_Park_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in the hotel. We have been working hard to improve every aspect of the hotel. I will mention to the manager about the level of service you received from the staff. There are more improvements coming to the hotel as we are aware that she needs some TLC in certain areas. We have found that visitors who have stayed with us before have found our re-fit to the bar area especially nice. I would be curious to know what changes you could recommend for us? Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have travelled extensively and stayed in many hotels. In my opinion this hotel is not only perfectly situated overlooking one of the best beaches on the Heritage Coast which means that you can enjoy your breakfast overlooking the sea and plan your days and trips around the beautiful area of Northumberland or Durham. I also found it to be great value for money. The staff including Reception, Bar staff , waiting staff, and Management work very hard to make your experience as pleasurable as possible.
The lounge area, again overlooks the coast and is comfortable with a relaxed atmosphere, the dining room and the selection ,and quality of food served in buffet style is excellent. The bedrooms are warm, comfortable and nicely furnished. My only comment is for the hotel to purchase a new toaster please.and a permanent presence on Reception . For me it was an experience I would not hesitate to repeat and in fact look forward to my return

Lilian..

Room Tip: I was in a room overlooking the sea to the left of the hotel. it was warm and comfortable with a par...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ParkHotelTynemouth, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel. It is great to know that you felt looked after by all of the staff here, I will pass on your comments to everyone here. We do feel the hotel makes an ideal place for anyone wishing to explore the North East in particular the coastline. We feel that our bar area is relaxing with views of the sea making it a great place to unwind. We feel our food offering is very good from our breakfast and evening meals as well as our carvery and bar food menu.

I have mentioned the toaster to the management and hope to have this replaced ASAP.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay and we hope to see you again
soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Though I can't comment on the hotel itself, if it is anything like the bar area then I would avoid at all costs!! We were first met by a friendly man but he couldn't answer our questions as it was his first day, I am pretty sure he won't be working there long because he didn't seem to have to same attitude as the other staff. We were seeking food and handed the menu's, upon deciding we ordered, the bar person phoned through to the chef to place asking for what we had requested, she was just told "no", with no alternatives offered, further to that arguments broke out between the front of house and chef, with many a profanities used! The drinks we no better, the coke and beers were flat, an orange juice and lemonade was created using squash and the glasses were either chipped or dirty!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Berkshire27
Admin_Park_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hi, I believe I was the person you first met as It has been my first week here at the hotel. Firstly let me take the time to say sorry from the hotel for your experience. There is no excuse for the things you have mentioned and I have already spoken with the owners since reading your comments. It is important that we listen to our guests. Whilst this is the first week of my employment within the hotel I am dedicated to solving problems ASAP. Coming from a hospitality and high-end sales background I will be implementing widespread change affecting our staff behavior and our room standards. It is a shame that you have visited before the results of these changes have taken shape. Please feel free to contact the hotel and ask to speak with Anthony to discuss your time with us in more detail. What you say is important to me to improve our standards.
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

stayed at this hotel for 0ne night and never again,the hotel is badly needing decorated,the floors creak when somebody walks past the door keeping me awake most of the night,the rooms are severly bad and need cleaning and waited at reception for 10 minutes with no member of staff to be seen,the breakfast is basic and not hot.overall the hotel management dont seem to care at all.the hotel is in a perfect place overlooking the sea just VERY BADLY RUN

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank william h
Walsall
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Moved to write my first review by the glaring inadequacies of this hotel.On the website this hotel looks very attractive but unfortunately the reality is very different.On the positive side it is a great location right on the seafront.On the negative side I will endeavour to keep it short.The place is dated,shabby and poorly decorated.This particularly applies to the rooms.It is not actually dirty but it feels it.The staff although helpful seemed disorganised on check in and at breakfast there appeared to be only one member of staff to do everything.Breakfast starts at 07.30hrs (which is too late for those on an early start),and by 0750 not all the food trays had been put out.I could go on but i will say stay here only if you have no other alternatives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bms74
Admin_Park_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Montagu Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
The information you have provided in your review is very helpful for us to know how to improve our services for the future. Although we do have an amazing location we do not want to simply rely on that selling point. We are refurbishing the hotel room by room which is slowly starting to happen. We are trying to make the changes without effecting the welfare of guests and the hotel as a business. Our new modernised rooms have been updated to a very high standard, I wonder if you could contact us with which number room you stayed in? There have been some problems with organisation including staffing, rotas and training however all of these things are being addressed. There is a new team in place at the hotel who are interested in ironing out any problems and who wish to offer a great service to our guests.

Thank you for the information about the breakfast timing issue - we will look into that ASAP.

Please feel free to contact us directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss your stay in person. Your views are important to us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Little Haven Hotel
#10 of 10 in Whitley Bay
Village Hotel Newcastle
Village Hotel Newcastle
#29 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to The Montagu Park Hotel? Share your experiences!