“Friendlt & relaxed atmosphere with really good bengali food”
Review of Plaza Tandoori - CLOSED

Plaza Tandoori
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Adjacent to Tynemouth Park
Newcastle
“Friendlt & relaxed atmosphere with really good bengali food”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

One of my regular haunts, the Plaza is the place we head to at the coast for a relaxed night out with good food and cold Cobra.

The staff are friendly and entertaining and there is never any hurry to leave. The menu is interesting. As well as the regular stalwarts of S Asian cuisine there is an extensive fish menu and some really interesting specials.

My own favourites are
1.Badhonia [the nightmare of butter-beans in school lunches are dispelled by this superb dish]
2. Chicken Tikka Rezala - although made with yoghurt there is none of the cloying sweetness often associated with this. Instead you have a sharp tangy savoury dish. Excellent
3. Chicken Hara: A mixture of chicken lentils, chilli and hard boiled egg sounds odd but tastes fab. Substantial so you really only need 1 chapati [and at least 1 Cobra ] with this

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank drcolin

Newcastle upon Tyne
“Nice enough!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Visited here with my sister for a weekday tea. They have an offer on where you can get a starter, main, side etc for £10.50ish, which is decent enough. The waiter did give us some good recommendations for the side dishes, as we had never heard of them (I think they're fairly well known, but we only ever order rice and a korma/massala normally, so have never ventured into the sides territory). Pleased with what was served, it was really tasty, and they were careful not to make it too spicy. I had Chicken korma, pilau rice, keema nan and some interesting garlic spinach side. Would go again :)

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank JTraveller84
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
“I will miss this restaurant”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I have been eating in this restaurant for 10 years. I love the food and Dud is helpful and friendly.
In recent years the owner has made himself too present and is a nuisance. Despite this I am sorry to leave this restaurant behind as I relocated to the south.

I would recommend this restaurant for its fabulous food anytime. I have never had a bad meal there in 10 years.

I hope you find it as fabulous as I did.

1 Thank Millhouselady
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Intrusive staff with poor attitude, poor food. last visit”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've been there 2 or 3 times in the last years. went last week & the service was appalling, staff were bickering openy in front of customers, delivered food was way below previous standard, dishes brought on a trolley that was bashed into the table to stop it, dishes cleared early whilst other half still eating - just bloody rude. walked along from whitley bay but that'll be the last time as there are much better places locally.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Chris_in_WBay
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Poor management”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

It was once a great restaurant but not any more, manager sacked his staff and decided to cook and do everything himself, wouldn't go back awful. You could tell as well because there wasn't many punters.

Visited June 2012