“Tasty food in pleasant surroundings”
Review of Allard's Lounge

Allard's Lounge
Ranked #9 of 51 Restaurants in Tynemouth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The food and the drink ain't the cheapest in town BUT the service and the quality are above average. I would rather pay more and be seated in comfort, served by attentive staff and eat good food.

1  Thank wildebed

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Lovely place, although small and very busy so difficult to get a table. Food was great and great customer service!

1  Thank Emma J
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We are residents of Tynemouth and very frequent visitors to Allards. Apart from the excellent food, staff and atmosphere, the main reason why we and lots of other dog loving customers visit so regularly is that Allards has always welcomed their four legged customers too. Yes, small pooches sometimes do sit on the seats (on their owners coats of course) Indeed that is why we all go there. They seem to understand that the reason we love the place so much is because whilst there, we are able to treat our dogs tthe same as we would treat them at home. We too have a little pooch and sadly we will now have to take her to Lui's down the road. The third tapas bar in Tynemouth is not dog friendly and it is very quiet. Allards take heed. You could be killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Lynda & Jade

2  Thank Jadeydance
Gavin B, Owner at Allard's Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

May I start by thanking you for being a regular customer of Allard's Lounge.
I fear there may have been a misunderstanding given the nature of your review. Allard's is and will always remain a very dog friendly cafe! I am a dog lover myself and regularly bring my Lurcher to work. The only change we have made is that we no longer allow dogs to sit on the furniture, which we think is acceptable. In fact, we have had six dogs visit us today and have had no issues with customers inviting their dogs on the furniture. It was a very rare occurrence in any event.

The extension of Allard's which is currently under construction is going to be a more restaurant themed space, enabling customers to reserve tables and book private areas etc, and therefore as with any formal restaurant setting dogs will not be allowed. The existing Allard's space will remain exactly how it has been since June 2011 and welcome dogs of all shapes and sizes.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just a quick review. Our party of four visited for food and drinks. The food selection is excellent and everything we ordered was cooked to order and to a very high standard my personal favourite was the steak skewers with blue cheese sauce. All meals and drinks were reasonably priced and served quickly and efficiently. My wife is coeliac (gluten & wheat free) and the menu was clear and organised to guide her as to appropriate meals and the staff were excellent in there knowledge of the menu to provide a guide as to what could and couldn't be eaten outside of there clearly informed menu. The only slight downside is in the process of being resolved. At present you can't pre book a table but an extension is being added to cater for this.

Highly recommended be sure to visit!!

Chris and Laura.

1  Thank Chrisdickson00
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My apologies for stealing another reviewers title but it does describe this restaurant perfectly. I have eaten several times in Allards both with my wife and with groups of friends. The food has always been very nice, I have no complaints regarding the friendliness of the staff or the service in Allards.
But I do have a complaint about dogs, I know this is and as far as I can remember has always been a dog friendly cafe/bar.
I know there is a good chance that there will be dogs in the cafe/bar when I walk through the door, I can and do accept this as long as the dogs are sitting on the floor.
What I can not accept and dislike are dogs sitting on chairs being "fed at the table" by their owners!
I have seen this twice now at Allards, admittedly the first time was several months ago which at the time I put down to being a one off instance.
The next instance was today when I called in with friends to have some food, unfortunately there was another dog sitting on a chair next to it's owner being fed at the table.
The dog was sat there for the 40 minutes or so it had taken us to have a drink and none of the staff said anything to the owner, unbelivable!
We had decide during those 40 minutes not to eat in Allards for hygiene reasons, I know the tables are wiped down when people leave but I'm sorry a quick wipe with a damp cloth is not enough to kill any potential germs that might be on the table never mind the seat!
There are often children in the cafe and today there was a young couple with a baby, would you want your young child or baby touching seats, tables etc where a dog has been sitting and eating, I know I certainly wouldn't.
I realise the cafe owners are trying to be fair and accommodating with a wide range of customers including dog owners but allowing them to eat at the table is a step too far.

Why a person would feed their dog at the table in a cafe is beyond me, it's just wrong for all sorts of reasons!

4  Thank wornbigend
Gavin B, Owner at Allard's Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

May I firstly thank you for your regular custom, and I also acknowledge that you have always been very happy with both the quality of our food and service levels. We also appreciate all feedback from our customers, whether it is positive or negative.

I do however disagree with your comments related to hygiene. After reviewing the CCTV images for the day in question, our staff can be clearly seen cleaning both the table and seat area with professional grade anti-bac spray and disposable paper towels. We would never use damp cloths as these are a haven for bacteria to breed. Though we do concede that the owner is hand feeding the puppy dry toast on the seat, it is hardly eating from the table and is certainly not eating from a plate or such like. An occurrence such as this has no bearing on the hygiene levels of our cafe, it is not in a food preparation area, and it is only a very small, non-moulting breed of dog (Bichon Frise).

We agree however that this type of behaviour will not be to everyones taste, and that not everyone is a dog lover. As this is such an usual occurrence in Allard's, we have decided that It would be of no consequence to change our policies on the matter. From now on, our new slogan will be "please keep puppy paws on the floor".

On a side note, on opening our expansion in the coming months, dogs will not be permitted in the new area, only in the existing cafe.

I hope these changes will convince you to return and enjoy Allard's Lounge in the future.
Many thanks