“Great breakfasts! and the best location in Tynemouth”

Martineau Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Tynemouth B&B and Inns
Barcelona
“Great breakfasts! and the best location in Tynemouth”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed tree nights in August in this lovely B&B. Each morning breakfast was a delight, prepared by the owner. Conversation flew easily at the table with other guests and it was a really great way to start the day. Although we got the smallest room, as the rest were already booked, we had a lovely time. The coast is magnificent and a trip to see Hadrian's Wall, Alnwick Castle and the gardens at Howick, are all worth the trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sally C, Owner at Martineau Guest House, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Martineau Guest House. I am so pleased you enjoyed your breakfasts and the conversations at the table. I agree it is a great way to start the day and you meet so many interesting people. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Martineau and it was exactly what I needed.

I had the Priory View room which has a fantastic view over the mouth of the Tyne and the Priory.

As mentioned before the stairs are worth the effort as I think the room is on the third or fourth floor.

The location is fantastic, right in the centre of Tynemouth with great bars on the doorstep and the beach a couple of minutes walk away.

I was made to feel very welcome and I couldn't have asked for more.

The room was spotless with a fantastic selection of drinks on the tea tray, there was also packaged toiletries in the bathroom in case anything was forgotten.

The breakfast was outstanding. You select your items from the menu the night before and I've never seen such a selection in a guest house, I was spoilt for choice.

I had the english breakfast and I certainly wasn't disappointed.

I stayed on business but I would certainly return for business or pleasure in the future.

The Martineau will be my first choice the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sally C, Owner at Martineau Guest House, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for such a positive review, it means so much when guests have appreciated what Martineau Guest House and Tynemouth have to offer. I am so pleased that you felt you were 'spoilt for choice' with the breakfast selection as I feel it is important that guests have a wide range of quality dishes to choose from. I look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the area. Sally
meggies
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Wonderful view from the Priory Room, breakfast was excellent and the room was immaculate, generously stocked with tea, coffee, herbal tea etc. Toiletries were also supplied, shampoo, conditioner etc. Nothing was too much trouble. Not suitable for disabled people though, there are steps to go down to the front door and no lift available, other than that perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Roger15, Owner at Martineau Guest House, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Martineau and the breakfast. The view from the Priory room is something special (the climb up the stairs to the top of the house is worth it for the view!) Sally
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Travelled up to see a gig at the Stadium of Light and thought Tynemouth looked nice.....and it was!
This guest house was a treat. Excellent local and very quite once the pubs had emptied
Great service from fresh milk in your room to a lovely breakfast
Parking no problem
Recommended

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Lovely rooms, fantastic breakfasts, perfect location in tynemouth, v close to tynemouth's nice bars & restaurants and also to it's beautiful beach. Best of all though was Sally's warm welcome and hospitality. Thanks Sally :-)

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

I was traveling through GB and then onto France. I have a keen eye for quality stays thoughout the world and was hoping for a quaint and welcoming stay in the region. I was pleased to find that and more at this lovely guest house, a few minutes walk to the beach and with views of the sea from two of the rooms!

With a wonderful welcome of hot tea (on a gray and rainy day) and my choice of fresh-from-the-oven fruit or cheese scones I felt immediately comfortable. My room was beautifully decorated, my bed was comfy with a soft comforter and the cozy, pillowed window seat perfect for reading the next chapter of my travel book!

Sally was simply delightful with a warm way about her and an easy, quick laugh. I was impressed with her attention to hospitality: a kettle, selection of fine teas and cookies in my room, bathrobes in the wardrobe, toothbrushes/toothpaste and razors in a little basket and such.

The breakfast was out this world, delicious and presented beautifully! I really LOVED her sausage which is made by her local butcher exclusively for her guests. You won't find better!

This has the highest marks in my travel journal!!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank SM G
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed for one night through a voucher. Room was lovely, everything you could need was provided - from toiletries to mini fridge - lots of thoughtful touches. Had the village view room, sleep was a little disturbed by people/traffic but this was to be expected on a Friday night. Excellent location, few minutes walk to beach/priory & lots of pubs/restaurants on the street too. Big Geordie breakfast was nice - not the best I've ever had but it was fine.

Only reason we have scored a 4 and not a 5 was the attitude the owner seemed to have about us staying through a voucher! She spent plenty of time over breakfast discussing how she was making no money from it & was in fact running at a loss & frequently referred to the other 'full-paying customers'. We were also slightly taken aback when she asked us to make sure we listed if there was anything we didn't want for breakfast as she 'hates' when people say they want everything then leave a sausage - we sort of understood where she was coming from but end of the day if you are paying for a breakfast (or in our case it was part of the deal) then surely you can eat as much or as little as you want!?
We were just generally left feeling undervalued and cheap for having come through a voucher - we have stayed other places with vouchers before and never been made to feel like that!

Other than the slight air of negativity though the guest house was really lovely and the location perfect for a coastal stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenaskin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Grand Hotel
#7 of 9 in Whitley Bay
Park Lodge Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
#4 of 9 in Whitley Bay

Been to Martineau Guest House? Share your experiences!