“Grand Wedding”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Grand Wedding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

A great all-in-one package for the wedding of my neice. The Grand has a fantastic position and view across Tynemouth Long Sands and out to see. The small town of Tynemouth is only a couple of hundred yards behind and has a lovely village feel to it. The ceremony and occasion was expertly handled with Mr McManus at the helm, as Master of Ceremonies. The Wedding Breakfast and Evening function all went without a hitch. Staying the night was ideal and rooms perfectly adequate in this historic building. It all made for a superb and memorable weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Czech first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

two separate nights 1st room ( last available ) poor quality room layout double bed up against the wall. so had to clamber over one another to Visit the bathroom. Smokers outside the bedroom window. Toiletries very nice and tea n coffee with biscuit very good quality but only one hot chocolate. The Breakfast was the best I've ever had in choice and quality and the dining room service could not be faulted. Be aware it is a hotel used as a venue for weddings and other functions so we found it to be somewhat busy in the communal areas (I'm guessing stray wedding guests away from the function rooms and again smokers just outside the entrance door not a great advert) again bar staff very pleasant and were the reception staff day and night.

2nd room last minute cancellation of an exec suite, view of the sea from the top floor, Jacuzzi & shower cubicle and space. So different from the previous night room. maybe a sofa bed rather than a 3rd bed would be more appropriate . we pulled the two Queen Anne chairs over to the windows to sit and watch the tide dance on the beach the sound a delight. and windows that opened to fill the night air with the freshness of the sea. Be aware limited car parking and the surrounding area residents permits only. Thank you for a wonderful stay in your historic Hotel.

Room Tip: for a couple don't have room 109 I cant say for other rooms, however the exec suite was great al...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vikki G
Harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked apprehensively fearing faded splendour but were delighted to find a real gem of a hotel. We had a sea-view room on the top floor and enjoyed its spaciousness and superking-size bed. The bathroom would have benefited from some tidying up if not a refit but it all worked perfectly. The only slight problem was that the wifi signal didn't quite reach into the room, but was strong in the corridor.

Most importantly the service was impeccable. There seemed to be plenty of staff and they all appeared genuinely keen to please. Our only meal at the hotel was breakfast and that was very good indeed.

The Grand is a very good hotel which I am pleased to recommend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We booked this late for a family meet-up; this meant that we were in the annex, but the initial disappointment was allayed by the high standard of the room. The double bed was a bit on the small side, but the room facilities and size were excellent.
Breakfasts were good and service was friendly and efficient. The dining room is characterful with a good view of the beach.

1 Thank abbeyman2002
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This review might be ever so slightly different compared to other reviews as I was here for a wedding reception (including an over night stay).

We were able to check in slightly earlier (only because the previous guests had left earlier) at no extra charge and no fuss.

What can I say? The service was wonderful - very attentive and friendly and polite. The Toastmaster for the wedding reception was superb - he was elegant and professional and extremely friendly. He was very attentive. The staff (and Toastmaster) helped the reception run very smoothly with hardly any hitches.

Breakfast was good - good wide selection, waiter service - again all the staff, bar one, were very friendly - my friend the Toastmaster from the night before was there again, and they were great. There was one lady who seemed like she could not be less bothered about her job if she tried, but luckily she didn't take away the effort that everyone else put in. She bashed into me and didn't even apologise. They were really flexible with my breakfast, admittedly I was a bit fussy, and wanted no eggs and veggie sausages instead of normal, and they were more than happy to oblige. Saying that though, the vege sausages were not to my liking - but hey, that is probably just me. My partner's Scottish salmon on muffins looked amazing.

I think we had one of the cheaper rooms (£102 per night) and it was fine, may be could do with an update soon-ish, but perfectly comfortable bed and the bathroom was lovely - very vintage feel and very clean. Usual products supplied, shampoo etc and towels were fine.

One of my bugbears is rubbish pillows in hotels - but these were great.

I got a sneaky peak into the bridal suit and it was stunning. Gorgeous views.

I did ask for a sea view if possible, they said they would if available, but sadly we didn't get one. You will probably have to pay more for a more guaranteed sea view.

Overall, great stay, wonderful staff (apart from grumpy chops at breakfast) and would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper I would recommend ear plugs - the seagulls are very vocal! However, th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RachelRS
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I decided to take my mother to the Grand Hotel yesterday for a treat. She is 86 and is not able to walk very far and the hotel staff were great in helping me to find somewhere to park. Even though the staff were busy preparing for a wedding at no time were we made to feel in the way or that we were holding the staff up when mother walked very slowly. When we went into the lounge to order sandwiches and drinks I mistakenly order tea instead of coffee for my mother and even though it was my fault the waitress changed the drink without any fuss whatsoever.

The staff were all so kind and thoughtful and made our day a day to remember for all the right reasons. My mother really enjoyed her day out and she has already earmarked the afternoon tea for her next visit so we both look forward to visiting the Grand Hotel again very soon!

2 Thank PoppyFlower S
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I booked the hotel a few months ago it was for my fiancee birthday it was fantastic room and the food from the Victoria restaurant we both had the stuffed chicken wrapped in ham it was delicious and even she enjoyed it and we then had sticky toffee pubbing and cos my fiancee had a birthday badge on the waiter put a big sparkler in it hahaha it made her night and the room was also amazing just one down side is no hash browns in the breakfast haha

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank daniel_reed1990
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
BEST WESTERN The Sea Hotel
#5 of 11 in Whitley Bay
York House Hotel & Apartments
York House Hotel & Apartments
#3 of 11 in Whitley Bay

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!