“We always come here for special occasions....”
Review of Grand Hotel

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tynemouth
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Son's 21st birthday and graduation meal. No set price dinner menu as there used to be but reasonably priced at under £100 for four two course meals, a bottle of wine and son's beer.
The Victoria restaurant has sea views, lovely, is elegant for celebrations, and the food is good and also plentiful. Separate fish menu has some interesting items. Dessert menu looked a bit boring/samey so we passed up on that and came home(three miles up the coast) for champagne and birthday cake.
Service was a little slow, they said there was a party in another room but why not bring in more casual staff if you know you are going to be busy? Public areas are also elegant.
Another good evening by and large, thank you.

Room Tip: Did not stay, just had dinner.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for one night as I was working in the area, through a recommendation of a work colleague. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building with a lot of history looking out over the Tynemouth beach front. Inside the main foyer has the look of a recent refurbishment and the front house restaurant and separate bar are both very nice as well.

Check-in was fine and parking was ok but limited spaces, however I wasn’t told how to get to my room, only just given my key and I wasn’t told about the lift behind reception. I therefore made my way up the famous staircase, which again is very beautiful, with my luggage. You feel as though you are walking in the footsteps of thousands of people before you as the inside steps have been worn away through use and you find yourself at a 45 degree angle almost as you make your way up.

I had a room facing out the back with a lovely view of red brick wall. The room itself looked a bit old fashioned, but was spotless. However I found the stud walls to be very thin and could hear the guy in the next room talking to his wife on his phone and in the morning the water rushing through the pipes in the wall when he was going for a shower in the morning, however I suppose you must expect this in an old building. Plus point was the free wifi for hotel guests.

I ate in the front bar that night, food was ok nothing special, but the staff on that night were very friendly. Breakfast in the morning wasn’t anything special, standard cereal, fruit juice and tinned fruit selection with option of toast and hot food as well on request.

I don’t think I would stay here again for my own personal taste of having good sound insulation between rooms and more modern shower etc. that you find in modern built hotels. However what it does lack in some fields against modern hotels, I must admit that the character of the building itself and its history which is given in a short booklet in the room is amazing. I would like try coming here for the high tea offer that I saw advertised in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Try and be cheeky and ask for a beach view room, the rooms at the back have a view of a brick wall.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank scottishworker
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our first visit was in September 2012 when we stayed in sea view room in the Hotel, fantastic we sat for hours watching the world go by. Our recent visit was for 3 nights while visiting the area for a family wedding and a party of 6 adults stayed in the new opened Laurel House, just next door. We stayed in the duplex suite at the top of the house, really tastefully decorated with a large en-suite with great sea views, then upstairs were a twin, a double and a shower room. Ideal for families but be warned lots of stairs to climb! This suite would really benefit from some further comfortable seating in the en-suite room, a large corner sofa would be ideal however when we asked for some additional seating we were provided with some chairs. My only disappointment was the lack of mirrors in the whole suite, only bathroom mirrors and a small one in the double room, not great when 6 adults were trying to get ready for a wedding! We have eaten in the hotels Victoria Restaurant and Copperfields Bar and could not fault the food at anytime of day and staff were always happy to help. We'll definitely be back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rachel D
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had a two night stay here at the end of May 2013. Immediately fell in love with the hotel, was impressed with all the public areas - majestic staircase, elegant drawing room (where the bar is) and dining room. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the sea views and it must be said Tynemouth itself is a hidden gem. Would love to return and explore some more.
We had a family room, with effectively two separate rooms (room 217 or 227 can't remember now!), one with a standard double bed and the other with twin beds. However, one of the twin beds was very short and my daughters legs were dangling off the end! Perhaps the hotel should have asked the ages of the proposed occupants when booking this room. The bed would be suitable for young children but not early teens.
Didn't eat lunch or dinner here, but there was a good choice of breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights in Room 328 which has a corner view of the Sea and The Green and it must be the best bedroom in Tynemouth. My 13 year old daughter maintains that when she gets older that she is going to buy the hotel and turn it into her private home. She did, however, insist that when this happens she will change the carpet on the amazing main spiral staircase - not that it is dirty, more not to her taste - or mine come to that. Did not have evening food but breakfast was really top quality.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A very disappointing afternoon tea. Although the hotel setting and views of the sea front are splendid the afternoon tea did not live up to expectation. The teapot was small for two persons and was served quite a long time before the rest of the Afternoon Tea. Consequently we had almost finished the tea by the time the sandwiches, scones and cake had arrived. We asked if we could purchase another pot, but the waitress just refilled it with more hot water - which meant the tea 'was so weak it was helpless!' The sandwich bread was nice and fresh, they were 3cm's wide finger ones. We were given 2 beef, 2 ham and 4 cream cheese and cucumber. As my husband does not like cheese, they were all I ate, and my husband had the other selections; they were O.K. but hardly filling. The two scones were good and fresh and the cream and jam excellent. However the cake selection was very poor. Two portions of chocolate tray-bake with a bit of whipped cream and a strawberry on top, not even served in a paper case, but served straight onto the cake stand; and two chocolate (again!) pastry mini tarts, which were too sugary. Even though I like chocolate, this was too much chocolate and not enough choice. I would rather have paid a few pounds more and had something which would be up to the standard expected. I bet the Grand do not get many 'repeat' customers or recommendations for this facility.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Valcairos
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were visiting the Grand Hotel for my cousins wedding, which was being held in the hotel itself. The grand is decorated to a high standard and despite our room (235) having some minor cosmetic defects, my mother heard that the hotel was in the process of refurbishing many of its rooms and indeed during our stay my parents room had the mattress changed to a brand new one.

We ate our breakfast each day downstairs which was very busy, but very lovely. A few minor points were picked up on, such as the temperature of the orange juice (sometimes lukewarm) but overall, very quick service.

The rooms themselves had a kettle and drinks such as coffee, tea and hot chocolate which you could enjoy yourselves, but again, we found ourselves having to ask for more of one thing or another - there was only enough stock for the kettle for one person in our room (one hot chocolate sachet, a few sugars) which were not replenished daily (it was a similar story for the bathroom supplies). However, upon visiting the hotel reception it was simple and easy to ask for coffee and tea supplies. There is also free Wifi, although this can sometimes be limited and slow, it is ideal for picking up emails and general Internet browsing.

The hotel boasts a number of places to eat, and we tried the Copperfields bar at the back of the hotel. This bar has a number of bar based meals, all for very decent prices (a meal each for four adults, a bottle of wine and 3 pints of coke came to £59) and the portions were VERY generous. There is however a more upmarket restaurant in the breakfast room which allows for more formal dining.

The hotel is based right on the seafront and is a 10 minute walk from any point of interest in the bay itself.

Parking is a bit of an issue and I would advise guests to ensure with reception that where they had parked did not require a permit. If it does, reception were able to issue permits (I think) for any parking around the hotel which required it.

Overall an excellent stay, excellent service and we will be revisiting.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank neenoonee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tynemouth
Little Haven Hotel
#27 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Jesmond Dene House
Jesmond Dene House
#4 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!