“What went wrong?”

Il Forno
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This used to be a great little restaurant which has been driven into, quite frankly, an embarrassment.
Despite booking a table and having our reservation down, they didn't have a table ready for us. So the wait begins... after 30 minutes we said we'd take a table outside as we were tired of waiting. Someone took our drinks order and after 20 mins of chasing them up, they were finally delivered to the table. The order was wrong but were so tired (and thirsty) of waiting we didn't want to go through the ordeal of waiting another 20 minutes!
There was one poor waitress who was run off her feet, trying to please everyone whilst the rest of the staff strolled around without a care in the world. It became a joke between us and the tables around us of how long the food was taking. The food did finally arrive, 2 hours after the time we had booked the table. I was so hungry I couldn't tell you whether the food was nice or not and I couldn't care less either. I just hope they realise what an asset to the restaurant that waitress is as she's the only one keeping things going.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Called in for drinks so we sat outside rather than take a table set for food. The restaurant was less than half full yet it took an age to get served. We ended up going in to order as staff don't seem to venture out too regularly. We ordered, then were asked again to confirm what we ordered. Then we waited for about 15mins before having to go back in and remind them.

Drinks arrived, coffee was lukewarm but I couldn't be bothered to wait even longer for a replacement. We paid as soon as the drinks came, yet we had to ask for our change, which was then delivered to another table!

Based on this, I wouldn't bother going for food - too much hassle!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went to Il Forno on a busy Friday night with friends and the food was fantastic. The restaurant is very popular and we had been advised to book having eaten there the previous week.
I ordered an item that was not on the menu and wasn't sure if I would be able to have it; but nothing was too much trouble. The food was lovely, the service was fantastic and even though all of us had 3 courses the price was very reasonable.
We will be going again.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Four of us stopped in for lunch on Bank Holiday Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Although just a couple of minutes walk from the heart of Tynemouth, the station location is just far enough away to be out of the crush of holiday makers. I have to say we were served the best Italian food I have found anywhere in the North. The menu has a wide selection of starters and mains, and everything we ordered was delicious and evidenced talent plus originality in the preparation.

Everything about the setting, service and food are fitting for an elegant dinner, though apparently they are just as happy to serve a pizza or just a coffee. While not cheap, the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food - generally about £3 for starters and £10 for mains. We will definitely be back and look forward to sampling more of the menu.

Do take note that the name has changed to Il Stazione.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Drinking coffee while waiting for my other half to return from a trip to the beach. Never rushed, sat drinking coffee and reading a book. Staff very friendly. Tables kept clean and tidy, ready for new visitors. Large windows allow for watching the world pass by..