“Birthday buffet meal”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Having lived near by for a while I tried the reasturant to celebrate a family birthday with quite a big group.
£17 pounds per person for all you can eat.
What got me with this place was the distinct lack of service, to cut a long story short you can pay less in the centre of newcastle for better quality buffet food without the attitude from waiting staff because you've left a noodle on your plate. I will pay this time for my visit without question but will 110% not be returning.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank kylemccarrell
jess L, Manager at Mandarin Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi there, we are so sorry about your bad dining experience with us at Mandarin bay, due to unexpected busyness of the night. Therefore, the number of staff we had on the floor and kitchen that evening could not keep up with the level of service which we expect and you were entitled to. Sorry.

Write a reviewReviews (338)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went last Friday night and really enjoyed it. We all had the special offer of all you can eat starters and mains. Brilliant selection, the duck in plum sauce is delicious! For the money it is exceptional value, and service was excellent as well, very efficient. Will definitely return in the future.

1  Thank Johnlobster
Reviewed July 31, 2019

Went for buffet meal, no buffet in sight?
Told to order from menu at set price of £17.50 each...scandalous!
Can't wait until August 14th, as that's when Smithy Square takeaway is back open!

Date of visit: July 2019
jess L, Manager at Mandarin Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2019

Hi there,
We think you must have misunderstood our buffet style that we offer. We do cooked-to-order ala carte menu. We cook the food from fresh when you order from the menu and you eat as much as you can. The buffet dishes are not laid out on warmers as most buffet restaurants do, so you will always have hot freshly cooked dishes. The menu is very popular, and well known by local residents. Thank you.

Reviewed July 17, 2019 via mobile

Decided to give Mandarin Bay a visit while on holiday and went on a Wednesday evening. On arriving discovered they offer a cook to order buffet on Wednesdays in addition to their normal a la Carte. All 4 of decided on this and have the joy of sampling a number of different dishes all cooked fresh. Good selection of starters, chicken, beef, pork, duck & vegetable dishes. All we had was delicious and offered great value. The service was fantastic & very friendly. Will definitely visit next time in the area

1  Thank kevinsY1419SL
Reviewed July 7, 2019

Got a takeaway. Food is normally lovely when sitting in. However very hity missy on takeaway. Food is pricey compared to a normal Chinese takeaway but obviously the quality is better, the meat etc. I was really unimpressed with this salt and chilli prawn dish.
It was barely battered and VERY greasy. Like actually soaked through with grease. I don’t understand how a restaurant establishment could actually serve this to a paying customer. If I was in the restaurant I would of 100% complained however I don’t feel comfortable calling them up as I am a regular customer and a just feel like it’s more hassle then it’s worth. I will give it another go but I will make sure to tell them to make sure it’s not greasy.

1  Thank Fayewill1991