“Disappointing ”

The Black Bull
Ranked #33 of 40 Restaurants in Brigg
Cuisines: British
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I visited here last Thursday with my daughter & Grandaughter after shopping in the market. My daughter who is a vegetarian picked the broccoli bake whilst I had the chicken lunch. Both dishes were on the light menu, when they arrived daughters had about 10 chips & sliced carrots which she described as tasteless. My lunch came with mashed potatoes, sliced carrots & green beans with a watery greasy gravy. Both meals were warm not hot. Would we try again, no we would not.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Good service, hospitable type of place. I had the Stilton stuffed mushrooms as a starter which were very good, chicken piri piri for main - not bad, but could have done with a bit more sauce for my liking.

Certainly worth a visit.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Christmas dinner very poor - turkey very thin and shiny - roast potatoes cooked for so long had no potato inside; sprouts cooked to mush and all covered with a lots of beef gravy

Richard S, Manager at The Black Bull, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

I am dissapointed that you didn't enjoy your meal with us and take on your comments but must add that all of our christmas turkeys are cooked freshly within our kitchen and that the gravy is not beef or chicken etc - we use all meat juices for our gravy.
I do feel more upset that you can raise these comments on tripadvisor but failed to highlight them on the particular day when we could have possibly corrected the issue there and then as this does upset me as we all strive to do our best for our customers at all times and provide you with a good dining experience.As it is i can only now apologise to you and ask that you try us again in the future

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We visited with friends. 3 wanted the meat pie. I plumped for the beef and Stilton panini. After ordering at the bar we were told that there were only 2 portions of pie left. A friend said she'd choose something else but after returning from the kitchen, the barmaid gave us a very dodgy story that all of a sudden there were 3 portions - the last 3. We didn't believe her and expected the 2 portions to have been cut into 3 to go round. We don't think we were wrong. The pie was lovely but the portions were absolutely tiny. I don't think it would have filled up a 5 year old! What's more, the vegetables were tepid at best, except for the broccoli which was cold. The food was swimming in water where the vegetables hadn't been drained properly.
My panini arrived and looked far from appetising. A limp and damp panini and the thinnest strips of beef contained inside which looked like leather. The toughness was only lessened due to the meat being sliced so thinly.
My friend made a complaint to the barmaid when she came to collect the plates. It was met with a very insincere and uncaring "Oh Sorry" and the plates just whisked away. She looked liked she couldn't get away fast enough. Needless to say we weren't even re-visited at the table to enquire if we wanted a sweet. Not that we would have had one bearing in mind the quality of the mains.
Probably the worst pub meal I've had in a long while. Suffice to say we shan't be returning again.

1  Thank Pete M
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My friend and I eat here for lunch while visiting Brigg. We both had meat pie off the special board
and as it was so cheap was only expecting a small portion. When it arrived the pie was home made and a huge portion and with so much meat and the lightest pastry I have ever tasted. Service was great and the staff very friendly. Value for money and great food will always eat here when in Brigg.