“Great value!!”
Review of Goose Fat & Garlic

Goose Fat & Garlic
Cuisines: European, British, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated in the centre of historic Sawbridgeworth, Goose Fat and Garlic offers something for every palate and every occasion. A range of menus caters for everyone from the casual diner looking for a quick lunchtime sandwich, to a business meeting over an a la carte dinner. A set price a la carte menu during the week offers a great dining experience at a very reasonable price, and an authentic tapas menu is a great causal eating option - ideal for groups. The bar attached to the restaurant provides the perfect meeting place for those just wanting a drink, or for pre and post- meal gatherings, and is known for its great cocktails and extensive wine and beer choices. The ambiance is smart but relaxed.
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I took a small party here for December festivities. I'd been here before, but enjoyed it so thought it best to return!
After reading a few other reviews below, I can only conclude that these are rather tight, ill-understanding customers that maybe 'upper class' restaurants don't want in their premises? To be honest I'm not overly fussed with the look of the 'brunch' menu, nor the 'lunch' menu. But it's understanding with the times we are in. The problem is is it attracts the wrong crowd who in turn, will spend no money and complain....

The restaurant was heaving when we arrived, which is always a good sign. I was glad to see the menu had largely changed and there were many dishes I wanted to try.
I opted for the 'slow cooked beef' dish. It was fabulous. Wasn't sure what cut it was, or how it was cooked. So I asked. I got an in depth conversation from the waitress about 'sous vide'. It was all new to me so I was fascinated. It's always good to see waiting staff having a good knowledge of the kitchens expertise!
The other party members pretty much tried everything on the menu and once again, no one had a single complaint. We're quite demanding and once we asked, we had certain wines recommended to us but educated young staff.
Without going on I'd like to say that I was impressed again, as I was before. Great food, great service, great atmosphere, great pricing, and great location. You couldn't do any better with what you have. Just a shame I don't live any closer!
Well done!
(and ignore negative comments from the less fortunate)

There are newer reviews for Goose Fat & Garlic

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went on a lunch time had fish and chips that was dished up on a wooden board with the smallest amount of chips and the fish inside didn't seem cooked through needless to say I sent it back I think it's expensive you pay for the decore and ombionce

1  Thank sylvia39_11
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was most disappointed with the service and lack of table cloths, it felt like we were a bit of a nuisance wanting to eat brunch. I have been coming here for years and I feel the service has been going steadily down hill to the point where I would no longer bring friends or family here.
I think that since Craig left the staff lack training and appear to be less comitted to good service.

2  Thank Ric L
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had an amazing Xmas day here at the Goose Fat. As per usual the staff were so friendly. The food was fab, all seven courses. The seating was nicely spaced out (unlike other establishments that want to cram as many people as poss in!) and we were not rushed.
We were a party of ten which included, a baby, young children, and adults and they couldn't do enough for us. As a family we all enjoy eating out whether it be a pub lunch or a Michelin star restaurant. We understand that it takes a lot of effort to create such a fantastic atmosphere. Well done Goose Fat, see you soon. J.Mundell.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

As I was totally fed up with doing most of the Christmas feeding frenzy, I decided to let the Goose take the strain this year and I am more than glad of it!!

Most of us had opted for the fillet steal, but 2 of our party of 8 had the turkey and there were some other options taken up. The food was really good made even more tasty by the facts that I had not had to cook it and someone else was doing the washing up.

Seriously, we had a few drinks at the bar before we realised that we had a welcoming Kir to get through too. So all started well. The food was as good as always and we all had a very good time. The atmosphere was also very festive and there was a good crowd all around.

Service was great, food great.....couldn't ask for more really. Recommend it to anyone, but book early as we nearly missed the boat. Although there was a 10% service charge included in the bill, I left an extra £60 as the staff had done a good job and we went home more than full and quite jolly.

Nice one chaps.