“Relaxed and friendly”

White Lion Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great atmosphere, place has a positive vibe and buzz. Food good and good selection of wine. Great if you are looking for somewhere to meet with friends and not spend a fortune!

LionManager, Manager at White Lion Pub, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

As you know the atmosphere in the Lion is as warming as the food and chilled as the wine. We love to hear when people love their local, thanks for being a great customer and we look forward to warming you and your friends again another day!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Upon arriving I was greeted by a very friendly bar maid who was more than happy to help suggest a wine from the drinks menu. The wait on food was a while but I was impressed that the staff advised me well in advance so I was prepared. The food was certainly worth waiting for! Its a great location to spend the whole evening. Lovely meal to start the night then a friendly atmosphere for a few drinks afterwards.
Everyone that worked their couldn't do enough to make sure we all had a pleasant evening. Will definitely be returning!

We have a very small kitchen and we are aware that sometimes great food takes time... so we ask the team to tell everyone if there is a wait and how long it will be. We are consious that your day may be busy and no one likes to sit staring at where the food keeps appearing from with no idea when theirs is coming! So we are glad that we got it right, look forward to seeing you when you do return. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

was there last Sat to meet up with friend for quick drink before dinner. if you expect quick service to get your drinks, than you are in for a long wait. service were so poor & bar staff never look up or around to see if anyone want to order or order more, even if you try to catch their eyes. we also witnessed some customers complaint but get a blank stare.

Think we will choose somewhere else to meet for quick drinks next time when we up that area again.

LionManager, Manager at White Lion Pub, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Greatest apologies, The White Lion can get immensely busy on a Saturday night and our young team try hard but are green to our rules of service, acknowledging everyone, serving in order and re-acknowledging where appropriate. It does not excuse an ignored service and for that we are sorry. We hope when you are next visiting the Mexican, you will try again and see that this style of service is not the normal.

Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Came in at 17:30 early evening. Tried to order from the new nibbles menu, without even looking at us the bar member said 'menu finishes at 5pm - as he turned his attention to another customer and started serving her! Waited patiently for him to finish his 'chat' then pointed out to him that it actually said it started from 4pm.
He took the order then said 'that'll be at least 30 minutes' this was for one item from the nibbles menu with a maximum of 8-10 people in the place!
This 30 minute delay seems to be a regular occurrence no matter how busy. Anyway their loss I went and spent my money in the Three Horseshoes in Spellbrook! Who seemed pleased to take my money and only to eager to accommodate!

Wow... not our greatest hour. I hope that this was a new and therefore inexperienced member of staff who will only get better as time goes on. This is highlighted by the menu timing and the lack of customer service control. We try and get everyone acknowledged as they arrive, served in order within 2 minutes. This does not always happen and inexperience is a contributing factor, we all remember our first job, so much more difficult than it looks! All our food is on till 9pm currently but our food deals are driven by time. The nibbler and wine menu is in fact on from 4pm as you noted and the sandwich menu (on the same size menu stops at 4pm). The kitchen remains as small as ever and we feel it is much more beneficial to the customer to be told if there is a wait rather than left out to dry like so many other businesses that suffer the same problems. We continue to adopt a policy of honesty in what we do, so actively encourage everyone that comes in to ask if they are on a timescale. I note that you have visited before and that you did not have a great visit then either. I remain sorry that your visit was not to satisfaction on both occasions but we do work very hard to make all visits memorable and enjoyable. Thankfully, and to our testament many people do enjoy and return to The White Lion time after time. I remain hopeful that no one has visits where the service is so poor but I plead with anyone to ask for the manager as he needs to be aware at the point of visit to help make the whole process better for great customers always.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My family and I had an inpromptu Sunday lunch outing and what a disappointment! The beef was litteraly like leather and we weren't the first table to complain. The staff informed me that the chef was a temp and had 'overcooked the beef which couldn't be rectified'. We were offered a 20% discount which we took but made it clear that we wouldn't be back.
Unfortunately this wasn't our first bad experience as a while back my husband was served raw chicken and the management were very rude so at least this time we were offered something!
So to summarise, we will be stearing clear of the White Lion. Let's face it, there are much better eating establishments in Sawbridgeworth.

LionManager, General Manager at White Lion Pub, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

For someone who is passionate about their business, it is a real pit of the stomach feeling when you get a bad review! Your experience was passed back to me when I returned to work later that day and all I can say (post the event) is: "sorry, we got it very wrong!"I can tell you affirmatively that this was a chef error, I can also tell you it was NOT a temp chef, but was poorly conveyed and poorly dealt with, actual chef error. Mistakes do happen occasionally, much to our regret. I can only rest, knowing that we learn from these mistakes and work towards that perfect visit for future visitors.

Once again Alison, We are all sorry for what occurred and I will look into ways of making sure that this is unlikely to happen again. Although having no knowledge of previous events that were the catalyst into our loss of you as a valued visitor. I am confident that future customers are unlikely to be victims to the misinformation and poor practices that occourred on this particular visit. Why? Because you told us and we listen, listening helps us understand and understanding leads to change.
With thanks.