See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 13, 2010

How lucky I was to stay in Mar de Queo for a couple of days before the tourists rushed in. Judging from the amount of google hits this is ONE place not to miss. Judging from my own experience, all 4 1/2 and 5 star reviews are not exaggerations.
The owners, Mario and Maria-José are the most interesting and service-orientated hosts I have ever met on all my travels around the globe. That's why I was so lucky: as I was there in May, they had lots of time for me, in spite of my very basic Spanish. If I did not understand them, they would rephrase and use different words so that I would.
They are active people who are passionate about their stunning house, which felt more like a castle to me (which disappointed Maria-José because she said, pressing her hand to her heart, "I want you to feel that this is your home".) This may sound sugary, but if you'd seen her body language, you'd know she was sincere.
Breakfast is good & plenty and has good variety. The bread is yummie and baked fresh every day.
It's clear to see that they do not shave an egg to improve their treasure. They are making improvements all the time (such as the new spa) and everything is done with taste and in line with what is there already. Mario is an expert artist at stained glass creations and when I was there he had just completed a 4 x 9 meter panelled creation for the local stained glass museum. Go figure, because he's not a spring chicken anymore. "Just bothering my knees a bit by now" he confessed, after having stood an entire day working on the project. Oh I could go on and on raving about these people and the place, but enough said!
Nicolette - a transplanted Hollander

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dutchgypsy
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Booked for 2 nights through booking.com. On arrival the maid couldn't find our reservation and didn't speak English - eventually found in diary. Turns out that there is no restaurant in the evening which was a major problem as we were traveling on motorbikes and the place was in the middle of nowhere. Owner (who also didn't speak English) managed to get us a table in a local bar, with locals and did have a get value, simple meal. Rooms were good and the superior rooms were very good with large bathrooms with both bath and shower. Main problem for us was the lack of a restaurant... for this place you definitely need a car and be able to speak Spanish.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ncas
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Mar de Queo is situated between Laracha and Carballo in Galicia and is a very attractive, excellently restored rural hotel. A grand building in a tiny hamlet. The owners, Mario and Maria Jose are very kind, helpful and hospitable and their hotel is well appointed and comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom were better appointed than indicated by the hoteläs rating. It does not have full restaurant service, but a cold evening meal is offered. There are several restaurants in the nearby town of Carballo.We could only stay two nights, but found it an excellent base from which to explore western Galicia.

The directions for finding it are not very clear and a telephone call once you are in the area would probably save some time. '''

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jarvis09
Reviewed November 12, 2009

A good base from which to visit the wonderful Galician countryside. It is very close to A Coruna and not too far from Santiago de Compostela. The hotel is very clean and tastefully decorated in the traditional Spanish style. Mario and Maria Jose, the owners, treated us like family. Nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely go there again and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SamuraiLondres
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We expend ten days in this superb house, in the old tradition of Galicia,s houses, MAR DE QUEO. The owners, Mario, and Maria Jose, are incredible persons, and both, loves his work, and take attention on the people. Every day, we have some suggestions on places to visit, nice beach,s to swim, landscapes, etc..., and we have the opportunitty, to go to : SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, CORUÑA, LAXE, CAMARIÑAS, FISTERRA, RAZO, etc, etc, The food its incredible, a lot of diferenet fishes, sea fruit, high cuality, and fresh. You must tried the speciality, octopus: PULPO A FEIRA. The sea its very clean, the beach its nice, only the water little cold, but healthy! We wont to recomend this place, and probably we return fast as possible.

Jo, Katy, and Sophie.